Re: Riiiiings!

• 16maybeless16maybeless member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited January 2014
    @mmm4763 I love it!
  • JaniV123JaniV123 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2014
    Here is mine center stone is 0.73 ct in 14k white gold, the wedding band is matching

• @Jells2dot0 Thanks! Everyone asks if I want to be Kate Middleton. :P I've just always wanted a sapphire.

Princess Di first! My ring is very similar to yours, except without diamonds on the band and round halo instead of square. My family is English so I did actually want Royal-inspired.

• edited January 2014
    I'll play too!  Terrible photo quality, but you get the idea.  This was from when I tried on the band. Both from Michael C. Fina's.  FI knew I favored solitaires with micro pave bands.  He did alright imo :) 
  • CheleLyn said:
    Here's mine...1/2 carat black diamond solitaire, on my size 4.5 finger a half carat is plenty big. I LOVE it, and I don't know anyone else that has a black diamond :)

The band will be alternating black and white diamonds.
    UGH I can't see the pic on this computer! Anyway, I understand about small fingers! I wear a size 4 ring and even that is slightly big. It pretty much eliminates being able to buy anything without having to get it sized! LOL

• @CheleLyn I wear a size 4.5 too and my ring is also 1/2 carat! I am not huge into rings and really never cared about the size, but I think it's funny how 1/2 carat does look substantial on a small finger.

@Jells2dot0 mine was a nightmare to get sized so I totally agree!
  • I'm a 5.5 with ridiiiiiiculously long fingers (I have to buy size XL gloves, and those barely fit!), so I have the opposite problem -- anything small or reasonably-sized looks dwarfed on my hands :(. I got away with a .76 center stone only because of the double halo on mine, which makes it look significantly larger, and not like an adult wearing a child's ring.

• imageimage

I was pretty impressed that FI picked this out on his own.  It isn't what I envisioned he would get, but I just keep loving the ring more and more!

The diamond looks small because of the setting and my man hands.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @Jells2dot0 I'm more justifying the size of my hands- it's something I've always been self conscious about.  I love, love, love my ring and was actually surprised that it was a diamond (or a ring).  My Mom never had an engagement ring, so a fancy engagement ring wa never something that was that big of a deal to me.

But I completely agree that the symbolism is more important than anything.  I'm really hoping I didn't sound bratty :(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @hikebikebemerry -- I totally get it, because my hands are giant, too (as explained above). I have no complaints about my ring or the size of the center stone; quite frankly, I'm happy with just about anything. But the size of your hands definitely makes a difference with regard to how balanced and proportionate the ring looks as compared to your body. I'm sure my ring would look giant on my best friend, who has really tiny hands, and hers would look way smaller than it is on my hands.

• @Jells2dot0 I'm more justifying the size of my hands- it's something I've always been self conscious about.  I love, love, love my ring and was actually surprised that it was a diamond (or a ring).  My Mom never had an engagement ring, so a fancy engagement ring wa never something that was that big of a deal to me.

But I completely agree that the symbolism is more important than anything.  I'm really hoping I didn't sound bratty :(
    I just didn't want you to think anyone would be "judgy" over that :) All rings regardless of size, metal or stone are beautiful

• I just want to chime with Jells2dot0. I think everyone has beautiful rings and no one is going to judge, Engagement rings are a symbol of love and commitment and are all gorgeous and unique!
  • Here is a pic of my ring with my wedding band. The way the pic was captured made the diamonds look grey not clear. I have no idea why.
    I love how they look together.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot!
  • Here is a pic of my ring with my wedding band. The way the pic was captured made the diamonds look grey not clear. I have no idea why. I love how they look together.

Just curious- I noticed that you wear your wedding band above your e-ring. Is there a reason for this? I just didn't know if there was a special meaning behind it.

Last week, in a haze, I put my wedding band on above my e-ring. I noticed it several hours later and switched them, but I thought it looked nice that way!

• Its a preference thing. Some say wedding band should go on first because its closer to your heart. I say I was engaged first and then I will be married. I will put my wedding band on after my engagement ring.
    I dont need a ring to be in a special spot, I will be just as married either way.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot!
  • Its a preference thing. Some say wedding band should go on first because its closer to your heart. I say I was engaged first and then I will be married. I will put my wedding band on after my engagement ring. I dont need a ring to be in a special spot, I will be just as married either way.

stuck in box- makes sense! Was just curious :)

• Niccirf said:
    Gorgeous rings, everyone! I love to see all the personal styles & preferences.

Now here's my question for y'all - thoughts on openly discussing diamond size? It's so not how I roll in that I would never ask anyone the size of their ring nor would I expect someone to ask mine. Be it ginormous or itty bitty, it just seems so personal while at the same time inconsiquential. Is that an archaic way of thinking & I'm just weird?

FWIW…here's mine
    …took FI many an hour shopping with my sister to pick it out. I don't normally wear jewelry and didn't help much in way of direction, so I was very happy that he choose something I love so much. 

edited b/c I hate spelling.

Of course, I cannot see the picture right now. Darn work computers...

I would never ask anyone the size of their diamond. It's none of my business. If someone tells me the size just randomly, I tend to think it's strange that they are bringing it up. I have been asked quite a few times about my rings. One time, my dental hygentist asked and I was really taken aback, as she barely knows me, but then it turns out that she is very into gemology, precious stones, semi-precious, etc so she was asking as someone genuinely into the stone rather than the size. Some people are just nosey and need to keep their thoughts to themselves.

• 16maybeless16maybeless member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited February 2014
    I don't have a diamond (it's a sapphire) but I very awkwardly had a "friend" say "Oh that's much bigger than mine" and pout about it all night, so that was cool and not at all awkward and made me feel great and also the stone isn't that big, so what the actual hell.

I usually don't mention the size or its stats unless it's online, actually. Frankly, I didn't care too much, and had picked out a smaller ring w/ fiance. 
  • I think its tacky to ask about TCW or offer the info up. I know girls who do it and it just seems like they care kore about the "status" a larger ring carries in their mind.

Ive only had one person ask me. She was like a friend of a friend and she was like "omg you have so many diamonds in the setting. how many carets is that?" I just politely told her I didnt know because I hadnt asked. She was really bothered that I didnt know.
  • edited February 2014

I've dealt with this as well.  A few bitchy women at the office made a face and one asked if "the diamonds go all the way around" with an OMG tone.   Have also gotten some side eye from FFIL.  FIL's live a humble life and do not feel that material things matter.  Ok, cool, whatever works for  ya.  But then don't judge us for our choices.  FFIL might want to save some energy for when he sees my band lol

• I have had a couple of people ask what size my ring is. The first time it caught me off guard and I ended up just saying it because I didn't know how to respond. Her response was wow that's really big, but I thought it looked even bigger than that. I had no response to that. LOL

That was the only time I have said what size my ring is and I never posted a picture of it anywhere. I think it's a little weird and I didn't want to get a bunch of questions so if someone wants to see my ring it will have to be in person. 
  • Yeah, this is the only time I've posted it online, and only did so because I know this is a nice group of ladies and the tone of the thread is fun and celebratory, not look at me and my bliiiing

• Yeah, this is the only time I've posted it online, and only did so because I know this is a nice group of ladies and the tone of the thread is fun and celebratory, not look at me and my bliiiing
    Yeah I'm thinking that the fact that one of my first experiences was with the crazy girl that asked how big it was and the awkwardness that followed has soured me on showing it off. LOL
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards