Wedding Invitations & Paper

Reception to follow?

d2vad2va member
5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
edited January 2014 in Wedding Invitations & Paper
Do I put "Recption to follow" after the address?

Ms. Mom
Mr. Dad
request the pleasure of your company
at the marriage of their daughter

Danielle
to

Oscar

Sunday, the tenth of August
two thousand and fourteen
at half after six o'clock

Ballrooms
5900 Ives Street

Miami, Florida 33180

Reception to follow

Re: Reception to follow?

• That is what I did.  The only time I don't see it like that is if the reception is taking place at a different location and then it is listed on a separate insert card.

• That's what we did as well. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Thanks! We are having ceremony and reception at the same location so I didnt think I would need reception cards.

Do you think my wording in the first post looks complete enough for me to send to the printer / designer? @addiel73 @maggie0829
  • Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014
    d2va said:

Ms. Mom
    Mr. Dad

Danielle Middle Name
    to

Oscar Middle Last Name

at half-past six o'clock

Ballrooms
    5900 Ives Street

Miami, Florida 33180

Reception to follow

I made changes in red.  Other then those items, which aren't really necessary unless you want to be a bit more formal, it looks good to go.

• d2va said:

Ms. Mom
    Mr. Dad

Danielle Middle Name
    to

Oscar Middle Last Name

at half-past six o'clock

Ballrooms
    5900 Ives Street

Miami, Florida 33180

Reception to follow

I made changes in red.  Other then those items, which aren't really necessary unless you want to be a bit more formal, it looks good to go.
    I just removed the last names for privacy reasons lol sorry for the confusion! but they will be on the invitations. :)

• Yeah I figured but I was mainly wanting to point out the middle name aspect.

• So, if the reception is not at the same location, you would not put "reception to follow" and include a reception card? (This is one area where I have no effing clue what I am doing.)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If the reception is at the same location, you do not need a separate reception card.  You simply put "Reception to follow" on the invitation.  If the reception will take place in a different location, you use a separate reception card with the address and iinformation on the card.  Description of the food and entertainment, as in "Dinner and dancing" should NOT be on the card.  You do not put "Reception to follow on the invitation if you are using a separate reception card.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014
    @dva, it is "half after six o'clock" for a wedding.  (Emily Post)  Zip codes are NEVER printed on the invitation.  They are only for the outer envelope.

Ms. Mom
    Mr. Dad

Danielle Middle
    to

Mr. Oscar Middle Last

half after six o'clock

Ballrooms
    5900 Ives Street

Miami, Florida

Reception to follow
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • @CMGragain
    @Maggie0829

So which is it?

Half past six o'clock OR Half after six o'clock?
  • @d2va - I have always read that it could be either or because it ends up meaning the same thing.

@grumbledore - for the weddings that I have been to that had their reception at a different location then ceremony they included a reception card that that something to the affect of  "please join us for dinner and dancing immediately following the ceremony" and then it listed the venue name and address.

edited January 2014
    Emily Post says that it is "half after" for weddings.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • @d2va - I have always read that it could be either or because it ends up meaning the same thing.

@grumbledore - for the weddings that I have been to that had their reception at a different location then ceremony they included a reception card that that something to the affect of  "please join us for dinner and dancing immediately following the ceremony" and then it listed the venue name and address.

Our reception venue is a block from our church - we'll be lighting the path from one to the other with luminaries (as long as the city says it's ok - battery operated lights of course). I imagine we still need a reception card in case someone cannot attend the ceremony and needs to know where we are... ?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Is the reception in an adjacent church owned building, such as an annex?  If it is, you don't need the separate reception card.  If it is in a completely different venue, such as a restaurant or hall not belonging to the church, then you should use a reception card.
    The phrase "dinner and dancing" is not used on the reception card.  You shouldn't describe the food or entertainment, as if the guests won't come unless they like it.

Reception
    Seven o'clock
    The Fancy Schmantzy Club
    200 Main Street
    City, State
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • What would it really hurt to put "dinner and dancing" on the reception card? I mean really.

edited February 2014
  • What would it really hurt to put "dinner and dancing" on the reception card? I mean really.

When I answer a question about wedding invitations, I try to use correct invitation etiquette according to recognized authorities such as Miss Manners, Emily Post, Amy Vanderbilt, Cranes.   Does it hurt to make up your own rules?  No, but it makes the bride look foolish and ignorant to people who do understand those rules, some of whom just might be on her guest list.
    Brides don't post here for personal opinions.  They want the correct advice.

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
    edited February 2014
    Perhaps you should follow your own advice and go buy that book?  Sorry, but etiquette will trump creativity every time.  I have been revising creative invitations for a long time.  Tradition works best.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • You realize that your crappy attitude that you have had lately is kind of tiring. This is not solely an etiquette forum. If you want one of those then may I suggest you create a "I love Emily Post" forum so you cans spout her godly etiquette word there.

Oh and you can still be creative and fun and still stick to proper etiquette. Following etiquette does not mean you have to shove a stick up your butt.

• CMGragain said:

Perhaps you should follow your own advice and go buy that book?  Sorry, but etiquette will trump creativity every time.  I have been revising creative invitations for a long time.  Tradition works best.

If tradition always worked best, women would still be considered property.

Could you please show us references where they say you can't use the phrase "dinner and dancing" or some other descriptive phrase? Just because the books says what the bare minimum is doesn't mean you can't add to it.
    Anniversary
  • I see nothing offensive about "dinner and dancing"

imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • You realize that your crappy attitude that you have had lately is kind of tiring. This is not solely an etiquette forum. If you want one of those then may I suggest you create a "I love Emily Post" forum so you cans spout her godly etiquette word there. Oh and you can still be creative and fun and still stick to proper etiquette. Following etiquette does not mean you have to shove a stick up your butt.

Oh, dear.  I just might faint.

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • @Rajah, PDKH and Muppet Overlord, I don't think it is the end of the world when someone puts "Dinner and dancing to follow" on an invitation or a reception card.  Is it traditional ?  No.  Is it correct?  No.  Does it hurt to put it on?  No.
    You ladies know that I always give traditional advice.  Some brides accept it with thanks, and some choose to ignore it.  Somewhere I have read that this is one of the most frequent mistakes on an invitation.
    Thank you for your polite questions.  I am always happy to respond to you ladies.  Our opinions may differ, but I respect you.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:

@Rajah, PDKH and Muppet Overlord, I don't think it is the end of the world when someone puts "Dinner and dancing to follow" on an invitation or a reception card.  Is it traditional ?  No.  Is it correct?  No.  Does it hurt to put it on?  No.
    You ladies know that I always give traditional advice.  Some brides accept it with thanks, and some choose to ignore it.  Somewhere I have read that this is one of the most frequent mistakes on an invitation.
    Thank you for your polite questions.  I am always happy to respond to you ladies.  Our opinions may differ, but I respect you.

I appreciate your response, but you didn't answer my question. I've never seen a rule that says you can't put that phrase on it invite. Can you point me to references where they say this is incorrect? If not, then it's just your opinion of what's right, not an actual rule.

Anniversary
  • CMGragain said:

You realize that your crappy attitude that you have had lately is kind of tiring. This is not solely an etiquette forum. If you want one of those then may I suggest you create a "I love Emily Post" forum so you cans spout her godly etiquette word there.

Oh and you can still be creative and fun and still stick to proper etiquette. Following etiquette does not mean you have to shove a stick up your butt.

Don't forget to clutch those pearls first. It wouldn't be proper to faint without clutching your pearls.

edited February 2014
    Fair enough, but,drat, I have a lot of books to check!

Emily Post's Etiquette, p.635  "Six Invitation Mistakes to Avoid, #5:  References to food and alcohol service are not included on invitations, although food choices may be mentioned on reply cards."

References in all my books say that the reception card should be simple, and gives the example: Reception, time o'clock, venue, address, city, state.   None of the books gives a green light to "Dinner and dancing", but maybe it's because that, until recently, no one would have thought to use it.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • You realize that your crappy attitude that you have had lately is kind of tiring. This is not solely an etiquette forum. If you want one of those then may I suggest you create a "I love Emily Post" forum so you cans spout her godly etiquette word there. Oh and you can still be creative and fun and still stick to proper etiquette. Following etiquette does not mean you have to shove a stick up your butt.

Don't forget to clutch those pearls first. It wouldn't be proper to faint without clutching your pearls.
    Wow.  This is something I never thought I'd see here.  The polar vortex must have spread into hell.
  • Jen4948 said:
    You realize that your crappy attitude that you have had lately is kind of tiring. This is not solely an etiquette forum. If you want one of those then may I suggest you create a "I love Emily Post" forum so you cans spout her godly etiquette word there. Oh and you can still be creative and fun and still stick to proper etiquette. Following etiquette does not mean you have to shove a stick up your butt.

Wow.  This is something I never thought I'd see here.  The polar vortex must have spread into hell.
    And this is suppose to mean...?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards