Chit Chat
Options

Update: I shouldn't be upset, right?

edited February 2014 in Chit Chat
Ok, I need your ladies thoughts. I searched for a post similar to this, so I wouldn't have to post, but couldn't find one. 

Anyhow, my FI and I have been together for 8 years and engaged for 2 years. I had our wedding all planned out from my dress, decor, reception place, church, and most everything else. Four months prior to our wedding date we had to post pone due to a personal situation, so we rescheduled for summer 2015. 
Thankfully, all the venders understood our situation and let us change our date with no problems.

During the holidays, my FSIL got engaged and is now planning a wedding for the end of this year. Well, I found out she is now planning to use our church for the wedding and rehearsal dinner. My FMIL went with me to this church during my planning, so she knows how much this church means to me. I searched months for a church closer to our home before finally deciding to visit this church and it was just perfect. It looked just like the church I had always dreamed about getting married in. No, this isn't a church they (FI Family) have ever attended. My FMIL only knew about the church through me. They have no personal history with the church. In fact, this church is 45 mins away and the church they belong to is 10 mins away. They are claiming there are no other churches they can find, but they are members of one they could have it in. 

So, I'm very upset and I feel like a selfish ass for feeling this way. My FI family is huge and I have such a small family, so 80% of our guests will be attending both weddings. I feel horrible for even feeling this way, but it won't stop hurting. Am I getting upset for no reason? I know I will get over it, it just really hurts for some reason. I'm not going to say anything to them about it. I guess, I just needed to get this off my chest. I'm being stupid, right?

Edited: for clarity 

Update: I would like to add, that this church many years ago is where my grandmother attended and where my mother was baptized. I did, of course, know about the church and it's location. However, I had not visited the church personally, since I was much younger. I spent several months searching for a church that was perfect, but also was much closer to home. Although, when this failed to produce any results, I decided it would be a great idea to check out the church that had some family history, but much farther from our home. When I visited the church for the first time as an adult, I was blown away by it's beauty. It felt meant to be; therefore, I was determined to make the distance not become an issue as we continued the planning process. I then, planned all of my wedding details around this church.

I am fully aware that I do not own the church, which is why I do not plan to say anything to FI's family. While, I can certainly understand someone else wanting to also use the same church, I feel as though it could have been handled a lot better. It would have been nice to know that at least my feelings had been considered. Instead, I have also now found out that they have been telling me lies as well. Saying they had been searching for a church, but couldn't find one, saying other churches were too small, but then insisting they are not inviting a lot of people. It's one thing to get over having a painfully similar re-make of FSIL's wedding for family only 6 months later, but the lying is hard to let go. 

I wish they would have been upfront with me from the very beginning. Instead, of letting me just find out through another source and then lying about why they had no other choice, but to use this church. The lying makes me believe that they did in fact at least think it might bother me. Also, I know FSIL would not have her wedding at this church if the roles were reversed. In the past, she has not even wanted to use the same restaurant that a close friend had already used to recently celebrate their birthday even though it was her favorite restaurant.  

Mainly, I am just really hurt by how the whole situation has been handled. Yes, a selfish part of me hurts in knowing I will have to watch FSIL get married in the church I have wanted to for over two years now, but could not. I know this is not FSIL's fault for my wedding delays. I only thought a certain level of compassion would exist for family/future family.

I think there are a lot of brides who want to "wow" their guests on their wedding day, whether it be with flowers, a dress, or the decor. For me; however, the church during our ceremony was to be the "wow" of my day. Yes, it can still be this way. Although, I do believe there will be a certain element of the experience lost to all the guests attending again only months later. 

So, how do I make my ceremony stand out other than just having a different color scheme? I do love the church, so I still want to use it for my wedding. Although, I did find out that FSIL is also having her rehearsal dinner at the church just as I had planned to do. In fact, because I had been doing much of my planning before with FMIL, she is now planning on using and doing all of the details I already had planned. At this point, I feel like I should just throw in the towel after the bumpy road we have been down on our journey to get married. I think if this had been the only hiccup along the way, I could have better emotionally dealt with the issue. I know, I do not at all have even the slightest right to be hurt about her using the same church, but I do, and I hate myself for not being a better person.    

Re: Update: I shouldn't be upset, right?

• Options
    You don't even go to the church. It's just a pretty building for you, just like it is for her. It's not like she is copying your decor and everything.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Your feelings are your feelings, but yeah you need to just let this go.      Be flattered they picked the same church.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Ok, I need your ladies thoughts. I searched for a post similar to this, so I wouldn't have to post, but couldn't find one. 

Anyhow, my FI and I have been together for 8 years and engaged for 2 years. I had our wedding all planned out from my dress, decor, reception place, church, and most everything else. Four months prior to our wedding date we had to post pone due to a personal situation, so we rescheduled for summer 2015. 
    Thankfully, all the venders understood our situation and let us change our date with no problems.

During the holidays, my FSIL got engaged and is now planning a wedding for the end of this year. Well, I found out she is now planning to use our church for the wedding. My FMIL went with me to this church during my planning, so she knows how much this church means to me. I searched months for this church and when I found it, it was just perfect. It looked just like the church I had always dreamed about getting married in. No, this isn't a church they have ever attended. My FMIL only knew about it through me. They have no personal history with the church. In fact, this church is 45 mins away and the church they belong to is 10 mins away. They are claiming there are no other churches they can find, but they are members of one they could have it in. 

So, I'm very upset and I feel like a selfish bitch for feeling this way. My FI family is huge and I have such a small family, so 80% of our guests will be attending this wedding. I feel horrible for even feeling this way, but it won't stop hurting. Am I getting upset for no reason? I know I will get over it, it just really hurts for some reason. I'm not going to say anything. I guess, I just needed to get this off my chest. I'm being stupid, right?   
    I'm confused...is this the church you and your FI attend, and your FMIL found out about it that way? 

Because honestly, the bolded makes it sound like you picked this church for its aesthetics, and now you're annoyed your FSIL is doing the same thing -- which is, yes, petty and hypocritical. 

I'm sorry you're hurt, but if you have no spiritual or personal tie to this church, you really can't be offended that your FSIL is using it (not that you could be offended if you DID have that kind of a tie and she was using it).

Churches are churches -- DH and I got married in the same church my father was baptised in.

Your ceremonies will be different, I'm sure, and your colour schemes will be different, and your receptions will be different. It will be OK.
    No, my mom was baptized in this church that's why I picked it. It has a lot of family history especially with my grandma who is no longer with us. That's how my FMIL found out about it. Sorry, I should of added that part in. It took me months to decide on a church because this one is so far away. I'm sorry I am upset and this is my first post. I didn't do so well explaining, I apologize.

Edited: I sought out the church because it did indeed have family history, which is how I came to know about the church. After several months of unsuccessful searching, I decided it wouldn't hurt to take a look. Once I did, I was blown away with the beauty of the church and knowing the family history made it a decision that was difficult only because of the distance. However, I ultimately decided to make it work because the church meant so much to me. 
  • Options

During the holidays, my FSIL got engaged and is now planning a wedding for the end of this year. Well, I found out she is now planning to use our church for the wedding. My FMIL went with me to this church during my planning, so she knows how much this church means to me. I searched months for this church and when I found it, it was just perfect. It looked just like the church I had always dreamed about getting married in. No, this isn't a church they have ever attended. My FMIL only knew about it through me. They have no personal history with the church. In fact, this church is 45 mins away and the church they belong to is 10 mins away. They are claiming there are no other churches they can find, but they are members of one they could have it in. 

So, I'm very upset and I feel like a selfish bitch for feeling this way. My FI family is huge and I have such a small family, so 80% of our guests will be attending this wedding. I feel horrible for even feeling this way, but it won't stop hurting. Am I getting upset for no reason? I know I will get over it, it just really hurts for some reason. I'm not going to say anything. I guess, I just needed to get this off my chest. I'm being stupid, right?   
    I'm confused...is this the church you and your FI attend, and your FMIL found out about it that way? 

Because honestly, the bolded makes it sound like you picked this church for its aesthetics, and now you're annoyed your FSIL is doing the same thing -- which is, yes, petty and hypocritical. 

I'm sorry you're hurt, but if you have no spiritual or personal tie to this church, you really can't be offended that your FSIL is using it (not that you could be offended if you DID have that kind of a tie and she was using it).

Churches are churches -- DH and I got married in the same church my father was baptised in.

Your ceremonies will be different, I'm sure, and your colour schemes will be different, and your receptions will be different. It will be OK.
    No, my mom was baptized in this church that's why I picked it. It has a lot of family history especially with my grandma who is no longer with us. That's how my FMIL found out about it. Sorry, I should of added that part in. It took me months to decide on a church because this one is so far away. I'm sorry I am upset and this is my first post. I didn't do so well explaining, I apologize. 
    With the additional information -- I get why you're upset about it, I really do, but you still can't really do anything about it. I know it sucks, and you feel like your FSIL is horning in on something that matters to you, but there's no way to present that without sounding like a bridezilla, I'm sorry.

Just let yourself be upset for a bit, then get over it and smile -- in the end, the weddings will be very different, and it will be fine.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    Absolutely no one will be comparing your weddings. You need to just let this go.

• Options
    Unfortunately, you can't touch this one.

You fell in love with it because of your family history there, and because it looks like a place you always thought you'd get married in. The thing is, your FSIL may have the same type of vision about where she wants to get married.

Also, people go to a tonne of weddings, and some of them are bound to have crossover -- that's just the nature of weddings. Your wedding will be unique and your own because it's yours. That's really all that matters.

At least you're not having some Pinterest-happy fete -- THEN people would be like, "omg, she's copying every wedding I've ever seen over the last 3 years!"

• Options

You fell in love with it because of your family history there, and because it looks like a place you always thought you'd get married in. The thing is, your FSIL may have the same type of vision about where she wants to get married.

Also, people go to a tonne of weddings, and some of them are bound to have crossover -- that's just the nature of weddings. Your wedding will be unique and your own because it's yours. That's really all that matters.

At least you're not having some Pinterest-happy fete -- THEN people would be like, "omg, she's copying every wedding I've ever seen over the last 3 years!"
    I know someone doing this and I have to keep biting my tongue because we're not close enough to tell her how awful these ideas are.
  • Options

I know someone doing this and I have to keep biting my tongue because we're not close enough to tell her how awful these ideas are.
    Eek. I always bite my tongue when around those who are newly married or engaged, when I don't yet know what their wedding plans are/were. I'm always afraid that I'll put my foot in my mouth.

Case in point: I was getting my nails done on Saturday and talking about buying our wedding rings, and how I didn't want something too conventional. I almost said, "I hate the idea of having a band that looks like it matches my engagement ring because A) it's not my style and B) it's a little overdone, in my opinion." Thankfully, I glanced down before I said it and noticed the girl's rings, which were a perfect match, complete with contour band. Beautiful, but so not my taste. I managed to re-word just in time, so I didn't offend her.

• Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2014

With the additional information -- I get why you're upset about it, I really do, but you still can't really do anything about it. I know it sucks, and you feel like your FSIL is horning in on something that matters to you, but there's no way to present that without sounding like a bridezilla, I'm sorry.

Just let yourself be upset for a bit, then get over it and smile -- in the end, the weddings will be very different, and it will be fine.
    I'm confused why it took months and months to find a church that has family history and your mom got baptized there?

Maybe my family is strange my I've always known where my family's historical church was? While I would not able to drive right to my dad's side church I know the town and name of the church.  Mom's side is still attend that church so I've always known it's location.

ETA - okay, I re-read it and I guess I understand.  

But there is something "off" about  wanting to use your family church then turn around and be mad that your "new" family wants to also use the church.   Churches should never be treated as possessions like that.    It's a church, you don't have hold on a church.  Lots of people get married in a church.  Something is, IDK un-relgious about getting mad and maybe a little jealous over someone using the same church as you.   

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options

@HisGirlFriday13

Yes, I completely agree! This is why I didn't even think about saying anything to them at all. There is just no good way to say it bothers me without looking bad. I get that. It does suck. I wish this wasn't even an issue. I think at first, I was just so upset because it was a complete shock as the church is a good distance from where we all live and in a rural area. 

I am already starting to feel better. It does still bother me, but I am not upset like I was before when I first found out. Thanks for your response! I got very busy, so this reply is late, but I wanted you to know how much I appreciate you telling me what I needed to hear and in such a nice way! The world needs more people like you!   
  • Options

@pumpkinsandturkeys

Yes, that was exactly what I told my FI, how it's not right for me to have a say in her wedding day because you only get one and it should be the way she wants it to be. I just can't believe it, what are the odds that out of all the churches out there, she decides on the same one in the middle of nowhere. That's the kind of luck I have! lol What do you mean by a "Pinterest-happy fete"? I haven't even been on Pinterest yet, but now I am curious if I have ever been to a wedding like this.  
  • Options
    Schatzi13 said:
    Perhaps you're upset because FSIL chose what you now see as your family church for the aesthetics - she could have chosen hers - more than you're upset that it's the same venue? ETA: Sorry, that was covered. I need more coffee. I'm glad that you realize this isn't that big a deal. People marry in the same church all the time. Your wedding will still be amazing.

If you spent a few minutes scrolling through the "recently pinned" in the Weddings section on Pinterest, you'll get the idea of a Pinterest wedding. Look for the commonly-pinned "unique" ideas.
    @Schatzi13

Yes, I completely get that they could just as easily fall in love with the beauty of the church as I did. However, because of the rural long distance location, it just shocked me that they had made this decision. 

My FMIL made the comment to FI that the church was decided upon because the churches women's group will decorate and prepare the rehearsal dinner. When my FMIL's first daughter got married FMIL did everything, including the rehearsal dinner and she said this time she would not have the time to do the rehearsal dinner. However, this time she is retired and the last time she was working full time. Nothing she says makes any sense to me. I could be wrong, but I feel as though it was a decision made only out of convenience. No, it's not a huge deal, but for some reason it does bother me a little bit. I think you are right though, my wedding will still be great, regardless. 

I will check out Pinterest right now, thanks for the information. I had no idea there was even such a thing.  
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:

I'm confused why it took months and months to find a church that has family history and your mom got baptized there?

Maybe my family is strange my I've always known where my family's historical church was? While I would not able to drive right to my dad's side church I know the town and name of the church.  Mom's side is still attend that church so I've always known it's location.

ETA - okay, I re-read it and I guess I understand.  

But there is something "off" about  wanting to use your family church then turn around and be mad that your "new" family wants to also use the church.   Churches should never be treated as possessions like that.    It's a church, you don't have hold on a church.  Lots of people get married in a church.  Something is, IDK un-relgious about getting mad and maybe a little jealous over someone using the same church as you.   
    @lyndausvi

I do not feel as though the church is a possession of mine and no one else can use it. If that were the case, I would get angry at everyone who attended the church for any reason at all. In fact, if she were to get married even one day after my wedding ceremony, I would not be bothered by it at all.

I do not believe it's "un-relgious" to have normal human emotions about a situation. It's not the fact of just "using the same church," it's the particular circumstances surrounding the entire situation. I am fully aware that a lot of people get married in churches and that I do not have a "hold" on the church. This common knowledge; however, does not keep an individual from experiencing a level of disappointment or certain emotions in our lives when things do not go as we might have planned.    

As a matter of fact, my anger comes from the complete lack of consideration and the lying done in the process. Maybe it's just me, but I would have went directly to them if it was me who really wanted to use the church before FSIL's wedding. 

When I found out that FSIL was engaged and we were going to have to post-pone our wedding; I told my FMIL that I did not want our wedding to take anything away from FSIL's wedding. FMIL had given me many items to borrow for my wedding that I knew she would not want to purchase again for her daughter's wedding. I knew it would be awkward for her to ask for them returned, so I wanted her to know that I had no problem in giving these items back. I also told them both that if my rescheduled wedding date was a date she wanted to get married, I would gladly pick another date. Honestly, I just wanted the same level of respect and compassion in return. 

Also, I am not jealous just because she is using the same church. I am jealous because I have been through a lot and now I have to watch her, aside from wedding colors, do exactly what I have had planned only months before my wedding with the same family as guests. Yes, I will admit, I am envious of this fact. I guess that makes me a bad person.

I realize though that I have to get over it and I will in time.   
  • Options

During the holidays, my FSIL got engaged and is now planning a wedding for the end of this year. Well, I found out she is now planning to use our church for the wedding and rehearsal dinner. My FMIL went with me to this church during my planning, so she knows how much this church means to me. I searched months for a church closer to our home before finally deciding to visit this church and it was just perfect. It looked just like the church I had always dreamed about getting married in. No, this isn't a church they (FI Family) have ever attended. My FMIL only knew about the church through me. They have no personal history with the church. In fact, this church is 45 mins away and the church they belong to is 10 mins away. They are claiming there are no other churches they can find, but they are members of one they could have it in. 

So, I'm very upset and I feel like a selfish ass for feeling this way. My FI family is huge and I have such a small family, so 80% of our guests will be attending both weddings. I feel horrible for even feeling this way, but it won't stop hurting. Am I getting upset for no reason? I know I will get over it, it just really hurts for some reason. I'm not going to say anything to them about it. I guess, I just needed to get this off my chest. I'm being stupid, right?

Edited: for clarity 

Update: I would like to add, that this church many years ago is where my grandmother attended and where my mother was baptized. I did, of course, know about the church and it's location. However, I had not visited the church personally, since I was much younger. I spent several months searching for a church that was perfect, but also was much closer to home. Although, when this failed to produce any results, I decided it would be a great idea to check out the church that had some family history, but much farther from our home. When I visited the church for the first time as an adult, I was blown away by it's beauty. It felt meant to be; therefore, I was determined to make the distance not become an issue as we continued the planning process. I then, planned all of my wedding details around this church.

I am fully aware that I do not own the church, which is why I do not plan to say anything to FI's family. While, I can certainly understand someone else wanting to also use the same church, I feel as though it could have been handled a lot better. It would have been nice to know that at least my feelings had been considered. Instead, I have also now found out that they have been telling me lies as well. Saying they had been searching for a church, but couldn't find one, saying other churches were too small, but then insisting they are not inviting a lot of people. It's one thing to get over having a painfully similar re-make of FSIL's wedding for family only 6 months later, but the lying is hard to let go. 

I wish they would have been upfront with me from the very beginning. Instead, of letting me just find out through another source and then lying about why they had no other choice, but to use this church. The lying makes me believe that they did in fact at least think it might bother me. Also, I know FSIL would not have her wedding at this church if the roles were reversed. In the past, she has not even wanted to use the same restaurant that a close friend had already used to recently celebrate their birthday even though it was her favorite restaurant.  

Mainly, I am just really hurt by how the whole situation has been handled. Yes, a selfish part of me hurts in knowing I will have to watch FSIL get married in the church I have wanted to for over two years now, but could not. I know this is not FSIL's fault for my wedding delays. I only thought a certain level of compassion would exist for family/future family.

I think there are a lot of brides who want to "wow" their guests on their wedding day, whether it be with flowers, a dress, or the decor. For me; however, the church during our ceremony was to be the "wow" of my day. Yes, it can still be this way. Although, I do believe there will be a certain element of the experience lost to all the guests attending again only months later. 

So, how do I make my ceremony stand out other than just having a different color scheme? I do love the church, so I still want to use it for my wedding. Although, I did find out that FSIL is also having her rehearsal dinner at the church just as I had planned to do. In fact, because I had been doing much of my planning before with FMIL, she is now planning on using and doing all of the details I already had planned. At this point, I feel like I should just throw in the towel after the bumpy road we have been down on our journey to get married. I think if this had been the only hiccup along the way, I could have better emotionally dealt with the issue. I know, I do not at all have even the slightest right to be hurt about her using the same church, but I do, and I hate myself for not being a better person.    
    Updates.
  • Options
    @zitiqueen

Did I not post my update correctly? I am new at this, so please let me know. 
  • Options
    My sister got married at the same church as my parents (and a bunch of other cousins),  her sister-in-law and a few friends also got married there on my sister's recommendation.  At least one was before her own wedding.

Sorry if you feel like I'm dismissing your feelings, it's just something I have a hard time understanding.   My family welcomes and encourages use of our family church.    It's big, it's beautiful and the priests are amazing. It just would never occur to us to be disappointed that are other family and friends are also wanting to use such a wonderful place.    

I do not think church weddings should be unique and different in the way you are talking about it.  Getting married in the church should always be about the religious factor and NOT about being unique compared to another wedding.     

It often annoys me when people put so much emphases on the building than the spiritual meaning of getting married in the church.  I'm not even talking about the fact that there is family history, I'm talking about the religious responsibilities of getting married in the church.

Good luck, maybe talking with the priest or minister would be helpful?

• Options
    I can understand being secretly annoyed, but try to think of it as a compliment. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
  • Options

@zitiqueen

People just don't often re-read an OP once they've replied, so she's just ensuring that people know you updated.
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:
    My sister got married at the same church as my parents (and a bunch of other cousins),  her sister-in-law and a few friends also got married there on my sister's recommendation.  At least one was before her own wedding.

Sorry if you feel like I'm dismissing your feelings, it's just something I have a hard time understanding.   My family welcomes and encourages use of our family church.    It's big, it's beautiful and the priests are amazing. It just would never occur to us to be disappointed that are other family and friends are also wanting to use such a wonderful place.    

I do not think church weddings should be unique and different in the way you are talking about it.  Getting married in the church should always be about the religious factor and NOT about being unique compared to another wedding.     

It often annoys me when people put so much emphases on the building than the spiritual meaning of getting married in the church.  I'm not even talking about the fact that there is family history, I'm talking about the religious responsibilities of getting married in the church.

You are so right. Thanks, for taking the time to respond. I really needed to hear this. I do need to keep in mind what is truly important. 

I know for a fact, if they would have mentioned it to me, I would have told them to absolutely have the wedding at the same church. I am a people pleaser to a fault, which is why I was so worried about choosing a date she might have been considering. I guess it just really got to me that they acted so shady about the entire thing and then, lied to me on top of it.

I am jealous she gets to so easily have the day, it feels like I've been waiting forever for though. I hate I feel this way. But, I'm going to keep in mind your words as I move forward. Thanks, again! 

• Options
    @zitiqueen

People just don't often re-read an OP once they've replied, so she's just ensuring that people know you updated.
    Ok, got it! Thanks, for letting me know!
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:

You are so right. Thanks, for taking the time to respond. I really needed to hear this. I do need to keep in mind what is truly important. 

I know for a fact, if they would have mentioned it to me, I would have told them to absolutely have the wedding at the same church. I am a people pleaser to a fault, which is why I was so worried about choosing a date she might have been considering. I guess it just really got to me that they acted so shady about the entire thing and then, lied to me on top of it.

I am jealous she gets to so easily have the day, it feels like I've been waiting forever for though. I hate I feel this way. But, I'm going to keep in mind your words as I move forward. Thanks, again! 

I totally understand being jealous.   It's a very valid feeling.   It will be okay.  When people mention the church at you FSIL's wedding be sure to mention it's was your grandma's church and the church where your mom was baptized.  Say it with pride.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards