Snarky Brides

Unity Cross...

Oh ladies, I saw this commercial on TLC today and immediately knew I had to post it here to share with you... 

I think my "favorite" line is, "It was really special when I got to put my cross, in my husband's cross." Like who thought of this? And I saw this as one who considers herself a Christian, but really, a unity cross?

Re: Unity Cross...

• When I first saw this commercial I thought it was going to be a joke.  Like "Come together in front of our family and friends", seriously? 
  • I roll my eyes at this no less than I do at sand or candle ceremonies, tbh. It's just one more superfluous visual 'unity' thing that couples do at weddings.

I do not understand why the unity of the couple isn't enough. Why do people need OTHER unity ceremonies? Why isn't THEIR MARRIAGE enough of a unity ceremony?
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  •  I do have to say that visually, I like this better as a keepsake than sand or candles. The commercial itself is so cheesy, though. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I think it's pretty, but the commercial is really lame. FI and I aren't having a unity ceremony, per se. We're doing an Irish handfasting instead of regular vows. His family asked about doing the whole candle thing, but we're kind of "meh" about it.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• I am also a Christian, but I don't quite get this. The way it's done it does almost look like a spoof on the unity candle and sand ceremony. If a laugh track were added you would think that's exactly what it is. Looking at this unity cross I can't imagine suddenly wanting to insert something into my wedding because people in a commercial like it. But then again I don't actually get the unity candle and sand ceremony stuff either. I know there are a lot of people on here who will be doing those extras, which is fine if that's meaningful to you, but personally I never understood the desire for it. The vows and exchaging of rings seemed to more than cover the purpose and symbolism and more than that almost seems like overkill to me, and even a bit anti-climatic. But maybe that's just because it also hasn't been part of my family or circle of friends traditions. To each his own.
  • Yeah, not a huge fan of it.  It always struck me as "Want a unity ceremony? Sand and candles not GODLY enough for you? Try the Unity Cross!"

I think I first saw it on pinterest, and was annoyed with the whole "The man cross is strong and representivie of how the man is in control and head of household and the woman is pretty, representive of how women are pretty".

Sorry for spelling mistakes. I just don't care enough this morning.

Anniversary
  • I think unity ceremonies are sort of superfluous since the wedding itself is a unity ceremony. I try so hard not to side-eye couples who do candles and sand.

I did see a couple (it may have been on "Four Weddings") who sort of flipped the bird to that whole thing and did a unity shot. They poured two mixes together to make their wedding color (I think it was purple) and then took turns drinking out of it. I thought that was hilarious, especially since you could see half of their family members giving them this semi-disgusted look. It was awesome.
  • Friends of mine did unity shots of whiskey - each had a shot which they poured into a larger glass and then both drank from. Very appropriate since they met at a bar and several references to it were made during the ceremony. The best part was the officiant finishing off the drink after the ceremony! 
    ~*~*~*~*~

• I couldn't watch the commercial at work. Man, is that gag-worthy. Ugh.
  • My family is all about doing unity candles. I never really understood it, and found it as a waste of time. I was hoping that maybe this cross would look a lot nicer than stuffing some candles into a desk, never to be seen again. 
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
    Funny Awkward animated GIF
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards