Snarky Brides

I hate the word "princess"

2»

Re: I hate the word "princess"

• lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2014
    When I was younger, I wished I could watch Disney movies but now, I'm kind of glad my parents never let me watch them. I am not a princess and I really tend to think that letting young girls get into that whole mentality does them a disservice.

ETA: stupid autocorrect.
  • @lovesclimbing I didn't watch Disney movies growing up either. My friends all think it's this big travesty but I'm like I much prefered beng raised with an older brother watching Back to the future and Batman!!

• OMG the whole "princess" thing makes me sick!  Helloo, it's even one of the "P"s in PPD!  I didn't want to look like a princess on my wedding day..actually I haven't wanted to look like a princess since I was Belle from Beauty and the Beast on Halloween when I was 7.  I'm having a baby in June, and hubby and I recently found out we're having a girl (yay!), but every time someone coos "your little princess!" I grimace.

(Not attacking anyone whose father/hubby/etc calls them princess.  Everyone should do their own thing, I just don't like the word used to refer to myself or daughter.)

• I call my daughter "my princess" and I don't care. =) 
  • CLI242009 said:
    CLI242009 said:
    I've never understood the whole "wanting to look like a princess". When I hear that the image that pops into mind is Cinderella's big blue ballgown or Belle's big yellow ballgown. They are beautiful but I'm like you want to be in a birdcage like ballgown? Okay.

I mean sure I grew up with Disney so yeah I had those thoughts of wanting to be a "princess" but once I grew up I started thinking that I want to look beautiful on my wedding day. Not a princess. >.>

I don't have cable so I can't really get annoyed but if they were saying it in every episode, yeah I can see myself getting annoyed.

I find it cute and endearing when fathers call their little girls (young ages) Princess but other than that....calling a grown woman that just makes me assume she's stuck up/privvy/or bitchy eh that's just me though.

@the SIL comment. xD Yeah that's just bias of you haha no worries though.
    I actually did tell my consultant that I wanted to look like Belle when shopping for my gown... and ended up with a corset-top ballgown with a huge skirt. I love it! But I also understand the distaste for it. I'm definitely not asking everyone to bow to me on my wedding day.

ETA: I wanted a huge ballgown because I have big boobs and no hips, so I needed something poofy on the bottom to balance my figure.

*stuck in the box*

Oh no I don't mind the white ballgown wedding dresses I mean the girls that go and LITERALLY find Belle, Cinderella's, etc. dress but white for a wedding, instead of their iconic yellow and blue.

Those are the ones I can't stand. I have seen some beautiful ballgowns for wedding dresses and I have nothing against them. Hell that was my dream type wedding dress until I realized I'm too small and the dress itself was half my weight and I couldn't move an inch when wearing one haha.

I have seen the Disney Princess Wedding dresses, basically their dresses just white and that annoys me for some odd reason.
    I totally feel you on that! I mean... at least be original, people. Yes Belle was lovely but you don't need a medieval French ballgown with 1000 pickups.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Inkdancer said:
    CLI242009 said:
    CLI242009 said:
    I've never understood the whole "wanting to look like a princess". When I hear that the image that pops into mind is Cinderella's big blue ballgown or Belle's big yellow ballgown. They are beautiful but I'm like you want to be in a birdcage like ballgown? Okay.

I mean sure I grew up with Disney so yeah I had those thoughts of wanting to be a "princess" but once I grew up I started thinking that I want to look beautiful on my wedding day. Not a princess. >.>

I don't have cable so I can't really get annoyed but if they were saying it in every episode, yeah I can see myself getting annoyed.

I find it cute and endearing when fathers call their little girls (young ages) Princess but other than that....calling a grown woman that just makes me assume she's stuck up/privvy/or bitchy eh that's just me though.

@the SIL comment. xD Yeah that's just bias of you haha no worries though.
    I actually did tell my consultant that I wanted to look like Belle when shopping for my gown... and ended up with a corset-top ballgown with a huge skirt. I love it! But I also understand the distaste for it. I'm definitely not asking everyone to bow to me on my wedding day.

ETA: I wanted a huge ballgown because I have big boobs and no hips, so I needed something poofy on the bottom to balance my figure.

*stuck in the box*

Oh no I don't mind the white ballgown wedding dresses I mean the girls that go and LITERALLY find Belle, Cinderella's, etc. dress but white for a wedding, instead of their iconic yellow and blue.

Those are the ones I can't stand. I have seen some beautiful ballgowns for wedding dresses and I have nothing against them. Hell that was my dream type wedding dress until I realized I'm too small and the dress itself was half my weight and I couldn't move an inch when wearing one haha.

I have seen the Disney Princess Wedding dresses, basically their dresses just white and that annoys me for some odd reason.
    I totally feel you on that! I mean... at least be original, people. Yes Belle was lovely but you don't need a medieval French ballgown with 1000 pickups.
    Besides if I wanted any of the Disney Princess dresses for my wedding dress it would be between Jasmine's (the 3rd movie, not sure if anyone knows what I'm talking about lol) OR Rapunzel's. Don't get me wrong all the princess' gowns are beautiful but they're just so plain....ballgowns (especially wedding) I need detail. That's just my preference though. I can't wear Aurora's gown because I would expect it to change color HAHA *insert joking tone*
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I know there are lots of real-life princesses who are adults and even elderly, but I just find the whole thing weird because to me wanting to be a princess is something you want when you're six, not a woman about to be married. I said something to this about FI and he agreed. He said "Princess is something I would call our future daughter ... you, you're a queen." He always tells me that I'm the queen of his castle, even if his castle is an apartment over a sketchy chinese restaraunt ;)
  • In my early 20's I definitely had a shirt that said "forget being a princess, i want to be a vampire" That is what started my ex calling me princess. It was sarcasm turned into a term of endearment.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot!
  • Eh, I watched Disney movies growing up, and I never wanted to be a "princess." I mean I wanted Belle's library, but that's about it. My parents never bought into the "you're so special, you can do anything, follow your dreams" type stuff either though. I was taught life is hard, and takes work to get what you want, and you don't always get it, but hard work is its own reward. I think how you are raised has more impact than the occasional princess movie. I preferred TMNT and Batman and Gargoyles anyway.

• Eh, I watched Disney movies growing up, and I never wanted to be a "princess." I mean I wanted Belle's library, but that's about it. My parents never bought into the "you're so special, you can do anything, follow your dreams" type stuff either though. I was taught life is hard, and takes work to get what you want, and you don't always get it, but hard work is its own reward. I think how you are raised has more impact than the occasional princess movie. I preferred TMNT and Batman and Gargoyles anyway.
    I too lusted after Belle's library.  Maybe I should drop some hints to DH...The only Disney characters I ever dressed up like for Halloween were Pocahontas and Sheriff Woody.  (We kids had homemade costumes from my mom and my brother wanted to be Buzz Lightyear in a bad way...most comfy Halloween costume ever though.)
  • Belle's library was one of the few Disney Princess things I envied! Early on in dating, I told FI that I'd kill for a library like that... or have one of my Italian relatives do it, anyway. After that, he started buying me really nice leather-bound books for our future library.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• jdluvr06 said:
    I always wanted Belle's library. I also always wants Jasmine's tiger.
    LMAO SAME HERE!!!!

xD Oh man I want to start a new thread now. "One Item You Would Want that A Disney Princess Owned" hahaha

Belle's library, Ariel's bed (in eric's castle), Mulan's comb or horse, Jasmine's tiger, Rapunzel's dress, Cinderella's house the list could go on haha
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jdluvr06 said:

I always wanted Belle's library. I also always wants Jasmine's tiger.

You just made me stupid happy! I desperately wanted Rajah when I was little, my dad overheard this when him and my mom were dating and when they got married a few weeks later and we moved in I had the most awesome purple bedding with rajah all over it :)

Totally unrelated to the thread but I haven't thought about that in years so thank you!

• There's nothing wrong with hug ballgowns, though.  I love some of the huge wedding gowns, they are gorgeous!
    I'm cool with the gowns...but one girl on 4 weddings literally had it at a castle with a horse drawn carriage and called him Prince Charming during the vows. Gag me with a spoon.
    I think the castle sounds cool as a venue, the horse-drawn carriage is a little over the top, but "Prince Charming" is just f'in childish. Seriously wtf.  

The closest I ever got to being a princess was being Maid Marion for Halloween in the second grade when my cousin in the same class was Robin Hood.

I call my dog "princess" as a term of endearment.  I'd be a little weirded out if an adult tried to call me "princess" in a completely unsarcastic tone.
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • I think the biggest problem I have with the word "princess" is how it's rarely used in a positive way. Usually, it's being said as a derogatory towards a woman (or a man, I've heard it said many times about Tom Brady), being equivalent to saying she is spoiled, demanding, bitchy, a diva, or the like.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• I don't wanna be a princess. Who wants to be a princess when you can be the MF'n QUEEN :)

lmao...I don't want to look like a child playing dress up on my wedding day. I want to look graceful in heels, and HAWT to my fh. That.is.all :)
  • If my FI called me princess it would probably be at my brattiest moments in life...and I would punch him, then we'd move on. :-)

I have really found myself liking some bigger ballgowns though. I never expected it but they are beautiful...
  • I agree. When I watch SYTTD(not so guilty pleasure) and the girls want a princess ball gown my first thought is when have you ever seen Duchess Catherine or Princess Diana in a dress like that? I wanted to look like a real princess I guess-elegant and sophisticated. As much as I loved the Disney princesses growing up, they are bad for little girls, we don't need a prince to save us, we need to be more like Merida from Brave.
    Saw one where the woman claimed to be a huge Princess Di fan and that was her inspiration for her dress and it was SO classy and exactly what Princess Diana would have worn if she were getting married today....she was SO wrong. 

Everyone does have a look they want for their day but yea...princess usually means too much.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards