Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

"Paper Married." WTF WW moment.

Re: "Paper Married." WTF WW moment.

• Options
    Chipmunk415Chipmunk415 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2014

Our "dating anniversary" is April 15th. The only reason I remember is because its Tax Day.

With all the OCD folks in my family, no way in heeeeayyyll was I going to have a wedding the same day taxes are due, unless I eloped. If I eloped, mom might actually have murdered us.

Some of the responses calling out the OP on it restored my faith in humanity/gave me hope for WW. But her responses...ugh.

Looked at "Lindsaaay"'s other postings and whatnot. She may be offering breakfast for a late afternoon/evening ceremony and reception. With a Benedict Bar, a Waffle or French Toast Bar, and an Omelet bar. To each their own, but I have visions of maple syrup getting all over her dress.

• Options
    My BFF got married last year on her dating anniversary - she's in her late 30s.  Like @cookie0803, it was mostly more luck than management.  They got engaged Christmas of 2011 (I think) and she looked at the calendar and saw that it fell in a reasonable amount of time to be able to plan/save.  I think if it hadn't worked out that way, they would have found another date.

H & I still celebrate our dating anniversary, this April it will be 13 years.  Nothing wrong with another reason to celebrate.

• Options
    This is reminding me of those things on Pinterest - the framed things that say "00/00/0000 first met, 00/00/0000 first date, 00/00/0000 fell in love, 00/00/0000 said yes!"

Every time I see one of those, all I can think is "fell in love" is a euphemism for "had sex." So thanks for that Pinterest brideys. #vom #inmymouth

Hahahaha! Exactly!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    @grumbledore - I think that goes a little far.  I can say for us, we aren't that kitschy about it.  Mostly we just have a nice dinner out, if we even get that far.

As for my BFF, I like to tease her because she got married on May 4th (Star Wars day).

• Options
    PDKH said:
    FI and I literally can't even remember our dating anniversary. We both have to go look it up every time. 
    We remember ours, only it is easy to remember and when we didn't have much money we used it as an excuse for a monthly date. The 11th Each month we do something special. That being said,  we would use it as an excuse to have  PPD. We have celebrated 6, almost 7, years of dating. I can't imagine not celebrating after being married. 
    Us too! We celebrated our 7 year anniversary of dating on Jan 9th. Mostly we remember because FI is super romantic, and in the early days he'd do something on the 9th of every month to celebrate our 23rd month of dating. But we are getting married on the 13th of September.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options
    I remember the date DH and I had our first date (3 Aug. 2012).

I remember the date we started talking about marriage (5 Oct. 2012).

I do not remember the date between those dates that we became "officially a couple."

I do remember the date he proposed and the date he gave me a ring, for what that's worth? 

We quasi-celebrate all of those, by going out to dinner, but it's mostly just a nice way to say, "Hey, on this date, something great happened, and I love you!"
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    Inkdancer said:
    PDKH said:
    FI and I literally can't even remember our dating anniversary. We both have to go look it up every time. 
    We remember ours, only it is easy to remember and when we didn't have much money we used it as an excuse for a monthly date. The 11th Each month we do something special. That being said,  we would use it as an excuse to have  PPD. We have celebrated 6, almost 7, years of dating. I can't imagine not celebrating after being married. 
    Us too! We celebrated our 7 year anniversary of dating on Jan 9th. Mostly we remember because FI is super romantic, and in the early days he'd do something on the 9th of every month to celebrate our 23rd month of dating. But we are getting married on the 13th of September.
    My fi was always better at remembering than me.  I forgot our one year :) oops, now we race to see who remembers first each month.  Usually it is him.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Ha!  Thanks for the article!

My personal favorites:
    - Once again, people saying that if people REALLY LOVE YOU they will show up and not mind.  They clearly don't understand the difference between someone not being offended and someone showing up and just keeping their mouth shut because they are not getting in Bridezilla's way.
    - As always, the OP said something to the extent of "IF YOU CAN'T BE HAPPY FOR ANOTHER BRIDE, JUST DON'T COMMENT. I'M DOING THIS BECAUSE REASONS."  Classic.

High five to the WW ladies who were like, "um, no."

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I swear some of these girls are so fucking stupid. They sound like a bunch of high school brats. Grow the fuck up, geez. Get the F out of here with this "paper married" BS.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    mrs4everhartmrs4everhart member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2014
    PrettyGirlLost said: So far a surprising number of people there are saying most of the things we'd say about a PPD.

It's actually not that surprising really. I post on both forums and am always surprised at the number of times ladies on TK say that WW is full of people who support cash bars, bad etiquette, etc. I'm certainly NOT saying it
    never happens but for the most part, the two sites are usually on the same page. I think the main difference between the two is the moment anything becomes the least bit heated on WW, the mods take down the post completely, like it never happened, unlike here where all hell would have to break loose first. You'd be surprised at the responses over there. It's truly not as Pollyanna as many think. 

ETA: Quote box is being an ass again.
  • Options
    @Jells2dot0

You just made my favorite comment I've read on TK so far. And I've been lurking for a while.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I guess I lucked out because I'm having my "paper" and "real" wedding on our 3 year date-aversary, yes ladies all one 1 day!
  • Options
    I remember our dating anniversary because it was also a really significant date to me before FI. But we had been together for a year or two when we looked at the calendar and actually figured out when it was just for funsies. 

We are not getting married on or around that date, on "paper" or for "real". :P
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    I'm assuming these girls who are so obsessed with their dating anniversary are young- like early to mid 20's?  Because it seems so HS to me.

My dating anniversary is Dec 1st- no freaking way I am having a December wedding.  Sorry but cold and snow and salt and slush and ice and possible accidents doesn't sound like an ideal wedding day to me, and in my area chances are that is what will happen!

I'm getting married in October and I couldn't give a crap that I'm not getting married on my dating anniversary.  I've been dating FI for 12 years and I'm still with him and we are getting married. . . that's really all the matters.

Plus, you can still celebrate your dating anniversary, regardless of when you got married, if it is that important.
    *Timidly raises hand*
    I'm in my mid-20's and we got married on our dating anniversary. Our anniversary is in September, which is our favorite month, and happened to fall on a Saturday last year. It wasn't a make or break deal, but I was excited that it worked out that way. 
    Its ok hun, you were rational about it!
    My BFF got married last year on her dating anniversary - she's in her late 30s.  Like @cookie0803, it was mostly more luck than management.  They got engaged Christmas of 2011 (I think) and she looked at the calendar and saw that it fell in a reasonable amount of time to be able to plan/save.  I think if it hadn't worked out that way, they would have found another date.

H & I still celebrate our dating anniversary, this April it will be 13 years.  Nothing wrong with another reason to celebrate.
    I agree, FI and I celebrate our dating anniversary bc it's the only anniversary we have atm.  But my point was that it seems very silly and immature to insist on getting married on your dating anniversary when that then means you have a PPD because your dating anniversary doesn't fall on a weekend.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    grumbledore said: This is reminding me of those things on Pinterest - the framed things that say "00/00/0000 first met, 00/00/0000 first date, 00/00/0000 fell in love, 00/00/0000 said yes!"
    Every time I see one of those, all I can think is "fell in love" is a euphemism for "had sex." So thanks for that Pinterest brideys. #vom #inmymouth Haha!  Fi and I celebrate our dating anniversary every year (it'll be 11 years this Feb 17th-- woot!).  But Fi
     celebrates our "sexy-versary" every year.  Mostly this involves him saying, "Hey it's our sexy-versary!  Let's have sex!"

My favorite from the WW thread: "I can't wait to enjoy my special paper wedding with my fiancé, as well as my PRINCESS PARTY, that I dreamed about my entire life."
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    Now I do remember H's and my dating anniversary...it's 9/9 so it's memorable.  He proposed the day after April Fool's Day so that one's also pretty hard to forget one of the people I worked with got engaged a day earlier and she had the hardest time trying to convince people she was serious.  We got married 9/7 because it was the closest weekend date available to our anniversary and we like September.  It would've been ridiculous to have a "paper wedding" then the "real wedding" just for the sake of having it on the actual day *rolls eyes*.
  • Options
    I'm in the camp of people who still remember and celebrate the dating anniversary. On the day we became a couple "officially," we had champagne to celebrate. Ever since then, we have champagne on the 18th of every month to celebrate our anniversary. It's been almost 2 years, and it's so corny but my favorite day of every month :)
  • Options
    Our first real date was on my birthday 4.5 years ago. We never celebrated it but it would be weird since it's already my birthday. ;)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm in the camp of people who still remember and celebrate the dating anniversary. On the day we became a couple "officially," we had champagne to celebrate. Ever since then, we have champagne on the 18th of every month to celebrate our anniversary. It's been almost 2 years, and it's so corny but my favorite day of every month :)
    We try and go on a date close to or on the 18th every month, because that's the day we got married. But we do also celebrate our dating anniversary on 11/11. It's roughly 5 months after our wedding anniversary, and our birthdays fall in between in September and March, so we get a reason to celebrate every 3 months or so.
  • Options
    Up until this year FI and I celebrated our dating anniversary (1/17).  This year (6th year together) I sorta forgot and he was all like...well come August it won't matter anymore anyway.  Its not that I don't want to celebrate our dating anniversary, it just mean as much to me as our upcoming wedding does!  (Also there was no way in hell I was getting married in January living in Central PA...so Aug. won.)
  • Options

My fiance and I still remember our dating anniversary and celebrate it every year (10/3/08). But we are getting married on 12/27/14, because I wanted to have two days we could celebrate together :)

I would never imagine planning my whole wedding around a specific date, I just picked one that worked with our schedules and time frame and went from there. The date isn't special until you MAKE it special. 

• Options
    We met on 9/9 and had our first date on 9/19, so getting married (and paper married, and vow married, and veil married, and every other kind of married) on 9/13 is close enough for me (and total coincidence anyway, since I just wanted fall and that was the only Saturday that worked for the venue and avoiding other holidays/birthdays my guests would be celebrating). If hubs remembers sometime in mid-September to say "Happy Anniversary" I'll consider it a win.

Some friends of friends really insisted on getting married on their dating anniversary and you know what they did? Had their whole real wedding on a Wednesday. And people showed up and celebrated with them because THAT'S what people who "really love you" do. They just say "ok cool, wedding on a Wednesday, guess I'll leave by 9." They don't pretend to not be offended that they weren't important enough to witness your official wedding and only get the re-run. 

• Options
    My fiance and I met on July 4th and we are getting married on July 4th, which falls on a Friday this year.  It happened to work out, our venue was available, and our VIPs were okay with the date.  We realize we might have a higher decline rate, and we're okay with that.

If our VIPs weren't okay with the date or our venue wasn't available that day, we would change it.  I think it's a fun fact that we're getting married 2 years from the day we met, but I wouldn't do it if the date fell on a Monday or something ridiculous and then get "paper married."  That term makes me angry.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My fiance and I had our first date was September 20-21 twelve years ago (he picked me up on the 20th for an event that started at midnight so it somewhat spanned two days), and then got engaged on December 21 just last year. We initially thought we would set our wedding day for June 21 just because the dates worked out all cutesy unintentionally, but the 21st is a Saturday and the venue doubled in price. So we sucked it up and went with Friday the 20th.  But according to the PPD and Paper Married Theories, that ceremony doesn't have to count and we can get "paper married" on the 21st too?! 

What a bunch of baloney. 

Actually, my first choice for a wedding date was September 21 because it fell on a Sunday and I thought it would be a fun little tidbit if we got married on the 12th anniversary of our first date. But that's football season and college football is king in our hometown. So again, I got over it. It's called being an adult.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards