Registry and Gift Forum

Pots and Pans

What kind of pots and pans did you register for and do you like them? 

Re: Pots and Pans

• We got Calphalon stainless steel.  Love 'em.
  • All-clan.  They are great.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • We have a cuisinart tri-ply set that I got at costco - I get a hell of a deal on them, so we just bought them instead of registering for them.  H is sort of sad because he really wants copper eventually (he just likes how it looks), and he's pretty sure these pots/pans will outlive him.

I recommend a tri-ply stainless steel, whichever brand you choose.  They have a layer of aluminum sandwiched between two layers of stainless steel.  Stainless steel is dishwasher and metal utensil safe, but it's a poor heat conductor.  The aluminum is a great heat conductor.  So you want the aluminum running through the entire pot/pan, not just on the bottom (which is how cheaper lines are made).  If it's called tri-ply, it will have the aluminum throughout the entire pan.  I run my tri-ply pots/pans through the dishwasher a few times a week.  They come out just fine, and I've been doing it for 2 years now.

I have an all-clad skillet, and I'll be honest: I can't tell a difference between it and my cuisinart.  I'm not a chef or anything, but yeah - for most people I think any tri-ply would be just fine.  Tri-ply stainless in general is miles ahead of most non-stick lines (with those I CAN tell a difference).  I just think All-clad as a brand is overkill for most people.  I also don't like their handles - they have this odd shape that makes them really uncomfortable to hold, especially when full of food.  All that said, some people swear by All-clad and won't buy anything else.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We already owned All Clad, and we haven't registered yet but will likely just register for more AC.
  • Calphalon non stick set and a stainless steel set.
  • We received a set of Paula Dean that we did not register for, so at first were going to return them but missed the deadline so said might as well use them-- I have actually liked them a lot.  Easy clean up and they are made well.  We also got the Emeril stainless steel ones from our registry and those have been nice but since stainless steel cleaning takes a lot longer!

Anniversary
  • You can't go wrong with all-clad or calphalon. Calphalon has muktpli lines, so I'd recommend sticking with the contemporary, one, or unison lines.

Anniversary
  • We registered for Scanpan pots and pans. We really like them, would definitely recommend them. 
  • Calphalon One - LOVE them :)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Calphalon Contemporary Stainless Steel. I got these a long time ago with something my family and I called the Spinster registry. Lol. I was teased by my family for waiting so long to get married, so I kind of ran with it. People asked me what I wanted for Christmas, so I just told them Macy's gift cards and I would pool those gift cards together to get myself something a little more expensive. This was my last Christmas with the Spinster registry! Lol.  I LOVE my pans.  I plan on registering for some non-stick pans in this line.  But the stainless ones will last forever, if you follow the care instructions. Eventually, you have to replace the non stick pans.  But for stainless pots and pans, use "Barkeeper's friend" cleaner and it will have your pots shining like they are brand new
  • We registered for All-Clad and Fi's parents bought us most of it. We absolutely love it!
  • I just want to add that Calphalon non-stick is great and all but...you will have to replace them eventually because the non-stick starts to wear off and I think can be toxic? As much as I love my Calphalon Unison stuff it's already starting to flake on some pieces after just over 3 years of regular use. I didn't abuse it...no dishwasher treatmeant, no metal utensils, nylon only, etc. but it's still flaking. I'm really bummed about it. It was one of my first "I feel like a real grown up"purchases when I moved out after college and bought myself a set.

I think FI and I will just register for some really good stainless steel pots and pans to replace our current stuff. He and I both love All-Clad...it's just so darn expensive.

• LOVE LOVE LOVE my Calphalon. 

• We received the Calphalon triply stainless steel and love them!  As PPs have said, I would stay away from non-stick, as it doesn't last, and the coating is questionable.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers 

• Don't forget that in addition to stainless, things like cast iron and cast iron enamel are fantastic. I'd add a cast iron frying pan and a 7 QT cast iron enamel Dutch oven too.
  • @banana468 great point! I registered for some Le Creuset and I so hope I get it! :)
  • I LOVE Le Creuset!   My Godmother started me on them before I was engaged to DH (She is a huge proponent of giving great gifts to help start you off when living on your own before you have a ring on your finger - love her!) and I have a full pot rack of them.   They are by far the best looking and most versatile cookware that I've owned.   I also love that I can make a one pot meal and present it IN the pot on the table because they look so nice.

If you live near an outlet center, you may be able to find a Le Creuset outlet that offers deals on 2nds and colors of the month.   I've found that the only difference between a first and second quality item may be some slight issue in the paint and otherwise they're fabulous for a fraction of the cost. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards