Wedding Reception Forum

No Candles Allowed - Alternative Centerpieces?

We just found out the fire code for our area doesn't permit any open flames indoors, not even candles inside hurricane glass.  We were planning on using candles as a less expensive alternative to floral arrangements at our reception venue. We have 14 round tables with nothing to put in the middle! Any thoughts on a budget-friendly alternative to candles or flowers from the florist? We looked up flameless candles, but they are so much more expensive that to get the effect you want you might as well do flowers.

Re: No Candles Allowed - Alternative Centerpieces?

• I can only think of flameless candles, which I know can be pricey.  I wouldn't have thought that the cost would be comparable to real flowers though... how many candles do you think you'd need per table? 

Have you tried EBAY?  I also see them at Home Goods/TJ Maxx, etc.

• edited February 2014

Ok, just did a quick search on EBAY and found many listings like this:

10 for $30, which is nothing compared to real flowers. These are votive size but seems like there are tealights and pillar, just have to search through the listings.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-LOT-IVORY-WHOLESALE-BULK-FLAMELESS-LED-PILLAR-CANDLES-WEDDING-CENTERPIECE-NEW-/271311589847?pt=Candles&hash=item3f2b6e51d7

• I've bought realistic looking flameless candles at home goods, I think I had a 3 pack for like $10 once.   Vs flowers, they are definitely cheaper option.  I think hobby lobby, joann's, places like that have them too and you can always get 40% off coupons for those places.

• What time of year is your wedding? Does it have a "theme" or color scheme? What is the overall feel that you are going for? It might help some of us with recommendations! 
  • Maybe if you incorporate plated or structured mirrors it could get more out of fewer flameless candles? Fake flowers and branches could go a long way as well, depending on the theme you have going. It really depends on the season/look you are going for, but I would think there's a lot you can do, up to and including arranging your own flowers from a grocery store.
  • doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2014
    Branches with strings of lights:
    Branches
    Lanterns or other candle holders with flame-less candles 
    You could plant and grow succulents in some of your favourite books
    http://offbeatbride.com/2013/11/book-succulent-centerpieces
    Childrens book centerpiece
    Coral (you could buy fake and paint it whatever colour you wanted)
    Jars of fruit
    Fruit bouquet
    Feathers
    Pumpkins
    Books
    Music sheets in a vase
    Cupcake bouquet
    Leaves and berries
    leaves and berries
    Pine-cones in a bouquet or in a jar
    Potted plants (could just be simple herbs or something)
    Pinwheels
    Fake flowers (ie. DIY out of coffee filters)
    ETA sorry for the big pictures
  • Wow @doeydo you gave so many amazing ideas! I love the jars of fruit. I went to a wedding once where that was the centerpiece and there were some branches coming out of the jars and the table numbers were little birds sitting on the branches, it was adorable. Of course that all depends on the season you are getting married. But you could switch it up too for the season and do a jar full of winter berries with branches and make the table number a snowflake. Also, the potted plants are a great idea because you can buy them somewhere like Home Depot and put them in a nice pot from Michaels or something. Then people can take them home too or you can plant it in your garden! 
  • Wow @doeydo you gave so many amazing ideas! I love the jars of fruit. I went to a wedding once where that was the centerpiece and there were some branches coming out of the jars and the table numbers were little birds sitting on the branches, it was adorable. Of course that all depends on the season you are getting married. But you could switch it up too for the season and do a jar full of winter berries with branches and make the table number a snowflake. Also, the potted plants are a great idea because you can buy them somewhere like Home Depot and put them in a nice pot from Michaels or something. Then people can take them home too or you can plant it in your garden! 
    I knew a bride who planted her own herbs from seeds and few them for the centerpieces.  It was super cute!
  • Have you tried Pinterest? I would search there for centerpiece ideas, I'm sure you can find all kinds of things. I have a friend who used fake flowers and they looked really nice. I couldn't tell they were fake until I touched them!
  • We're doing wine bottles and corks, possibly with some fruit mixed in. 
  • Mkincaid2014Mkincaid2014 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Answer
    edited February 2014
    My sister got married last fall and had an outdoor, shabby chic wedding and a reception at a restaurant.  She collected various size glass bottles for a few months, painted them in her wedding color, tied matching wide gingham ribbons around them, and put a single sunflower in each.  Then guests could take them home at the end of the reception.  They were a hit, and very cheap.  Just a few bottles of paint from a craft store, and the sunflowers were bought at Trader Joe's.  Unfortunately I don't have any pictures, but you can probably find something like it on pinterest.   
  • Check these out, I saw examples of them used surrounded by clear stones or those beads that soak up water.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Acenterpiece%20led%20lights

• Lanterns. My sister used lanterns that we found at Home Goods & Marshall's, and they came with flameless candles inside. She then sprinkled fake rose petals around. We are doing something similar although with different lanterns. This is a pic of her table.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards