Registry and Gift Forum

thank you notes

how do you address them (in writing not actual address) what do you write? are there any pinpoints or guidelines as to what to write? do the thank you cards have to match wedding colors and stuff? any advice? 

I am one to do personalized things so something pre-written will not do but I like to be prepared ahead of time

Re: thank you notes

• JaniV123 said:
    how do you address them (in writing not actual address) what do you write? are there any pinpoints or guidelines as to what to write? do the thank you cards have to match wedding colors and stuff? any advice? 

I am one to do personalized things so something pre-written will not do but I like to be prepared ahead of time

@JaniV123

Make it from the heart (so to say) just like you would any other thank you. I would say thank you so much for your (insert gift here). We really appreciate it and plan to get a lot of use out of it (assuming it's an item like a mixer or something).

When people give me checks / cash. I usually say thank you so much for the (check or cash - which ever one they gave). It was really generous of you.

The thank you cards do NOT have to match the invitations if you don't want them to / can't afford to. Just make sure you actually send thank you cards.
  • No real guidelines but of course thank them for coming and the gift you received. For the shower I addressed it to the person who came and thanked them for coming and the gift they gave me. I ended with something along the lines of appreciating their support through this special time and look forward to seeing them at the wedding.  My shower thank you's did not match my color scheme; I made cards that said "Thank You from the future Mrs. New Last Name (I found the design on etsy, but made them myself).

I also had generic bridal thank you cards (just white and blue with a ring on it) that I had so if someone sent a gift that did not come to the shower or in our case we own a business and a lot of our customers would bring us gifts leading up the wedding, so this way we had something to send them as well.

For the wedding thank you's we sent out a picture card (my photographer was awesome at getting me pics within 2 weeks so we were able to use wedding pic on the thank you).  We addressed them to the couple (or individual) and thanked them for coming, being a part of our day and for the gift. Anyone who gave money I would say thank you for your generous gift and we plan to use the money towards x, y ,or z. 

I tried to vary up the writing just so it did not sound so scripted. Many guests came a long way to be there so I addressed that and how much we appreciated their support of our marriage

Anniversary
  • I picked up thank you cards at tj maxx.  They didn't match our wedding at all but they looked simple and elegant, and they were cheap.  I wrote mine similar to @hlvonb.  For the check/cash gifts I wrote "Thank you so much for the generous gift." instead of specifying whether it was check or cash.  If you're really stuck google ideas for wording.
  • There are no rules about what the cards look like.  The only thing I can think of is if you get them personalized and are changing your name, don't use cards with your new last name until after the wedding.  Cards should go out as soon as you receive the gift, do not wait until after the wedding. 

Here's an idea:
    Dear Sue,
    Thank you so much for the lovely platter.  DH and I are looking forward to using it at dinner parties for years to come.  It was so nice to see you at the wedding, we are so happy that you could make it.  
    Love,
    Me

For money gifts, say "Thank you for the generous gift," and you can mention what you might use the money for ("We are excited to put it towards our goal of saving for our first house").
  • Everyone else has already covered the wording, but I did a few things that helped keep me organized so I offer this suggestion to you.

Start a list (Word, Excel, wherever) listing who got you a gift (shower or wedding), what it was, when you received it and when you sent the thank you note.  The list served two purposes, the list will help remind me who got us the pyrex versus the Griddler 10 years from now and it helped remind me which thank you notes still needed done.

Another tip that was very helpful is to write as many thank you notes as possible BEFORE the wedding.  As gifts came in (granted not that many) before the wedding, I would add it to the list and write the thank you note that night.  We had 3 gifts sent to the house before the wedding and getting them out early kept us from doing it after the honeymoon.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • thanks all and @AprilH81 I looove the idea of having a spreadsheet to look back on, will definitely be doing that.

I have an idea of how to address them now yay! :)

finally another question came to might just now, so how many thank you card are you supposed to send? like if a person sends you a gift, goes to the shower, and attends the wedding, do they get 1 or 3? 

• JaniV123 said:
    thanks all and @AprilH81 I looove the idea of having a spreadsheet to look back on, will definitely be doing that.

I have an idea of how to address them now yay! :)

finally another question came to might just now, so how many thank you card are you supposed to send? like if a person sends you a gift, goes to the shower, and attends the wedding, do they get 1 or 3? 
    Just attending an event (shower, wedding, bachelorette party) does not require a thank you.

You should write a thank you note for each gift received, even if it is from the same person.  Multiple small items given at one time count as one gift for thank you note purposes, but you should try to mention all of the items in your note.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • perfect! thanks 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards