Wedding Invitations & Paper

Wedding Website

FI and I are going back and forth on making a wedding website.  Just wondering for those of you who have one, did you or your guests find it particularly helpful.  FI thinks that since we are inviting a good amount of older guests that it will just be a waste but we do also have a good amount of younger guests as well.  I think it is a little ridiculous to include the "about us" page or a photo album just because it seems a little self centered - no offense to you that do have them, just not our style!! But I think that the logistic information and registry information would be nice to have just so everything is in one place.

Where did you put the website address? I would not put it on invitations but maybe on an enclosure card? I also saw save the date templates that had them, but would giving out all that information on the STD kind of be too much too soon. 

Re: Wedding Website

• Well, I won't condemn the whole idea of a wedding website as a "waste" because it can convey useful information, such as hotels, scheduling, and perhaps local attractions.

I personally agree that they don't need to have an "about us" or electronic photo album, but to each their own.

I'd put the website address on an enclosure.  To be honest, I would not put them on a save-the-date; the information I'd put on a website isn't usually available 6 to 8 months before the wedding, which is when save-the-dates go out.
  • MollyandDMollyandD member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited February 2014
    I'll be honest, I made one but it was really mostly for me. It was my outlet to gush over wedding stuff when I got engaged, without being annoying all over Facebook.

The good thing about the website for guests is that ours includes a map and directions written by me for the guests that will be traveling out of town. I wrote directions that are a little easier to follow than Google maps directions. If you have people that may need that, you could have directions on the website. I also plan to print directions and include them with the invitation.

I think only close family member and close friends will look at any part other than the map of locations.

ETA- I got a save the date from a friend that listed her website. I've also seen them on invitations. I'm just sharing mine online and in e-mails. But, as I said, my website isn't a big deal. It is just for fun, so I'm not putting a lot of effort "promoting" it. If anyone wants to google it, they will find it. If they don't know how to google, they probably won't use the website anyway.
  • Since you can do a wedding website for free, I'd recommend doing one. As a forever disorganized person, it's nice having access to information that I literally cannot lose.

I did one, I put up a couple pics from our engagement photos, and our about us is mainly kitty gifs.
    I put the web address on my STD and will put it on our invites as well.

Anniversary
  • I made one for our wedding.  I excluded the "about us" and "wedding party" components of the site, and only included information about the location and things to do in the area, hotel blocks, directions and registry. I also used the photo album feature, with a few photos of us over the years. 

I listed the website on our STDs and on our invitations at the very bottom of the accommodations insert. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We have one. It's mostly tongue-in-cheek (which fits our personalities), but has a lot of useful information. Since our wedding is a holiday weekend, we had already booked our hotel block by the time the STDs went out, Our venue does not have an address (it's a gazebo in the middle of a garden, the only address you can find for it is for the office - on the other side of the property), so we listed GPS coordinates for the ceremony site and the reception site. Almost all of our guests (even the older ones - they're surprisingly internet savvy, as many of them even use Facebook) have already visited our page. We'll include the URL with our invitations, most likely with the hotel block information.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• I think it's pretty important to put websites on STDs. That's great you just told me that I'm invited and your wedding is on such-n-such a date...but where is it? Is it destination? Is there a hotel involved I need to be booking or budgeting for? For us, I know our guests really enjoyed reading about us and how we met. My husband and I were together less than 4 months when we got engaged and we'd been together only a year when we got married so many people coming to the wedding were completely unfamiliar with the other person so it kind of brought them up to speed. I also think it's a nice way to say "hey, there's a registry" without breaking any etiquette rules. Our wedding website was listed on shower invitations and on the reception info card with our wedding invites.
  • mlg78 said:
    I think it's pretty important to put websites on STDs. That's great you just told me that I'm invited and your wedding is on such-n-such a date...but where is it? Is it destination? Is there a hotel involved I need to be booking or budgeting for? For us, I know our guests really enjoyed reading about us and how we met. My husband and I were together less than 4 months when we got engaged and we'd been together only a year when we got married so many people coming to the wedding were completely unfamiliar with the other person so it kind of brought them up to speed. I also think it's a nice way to say "hey, there's a registry" without breaking any etiquette rules. Our wedding website was listed on shower invitations and on the reception info card with our wedding invites.
    A lot of times, hotel information and so on isn't available at 6 to 8 months before the wedding, which is when STDs are sent out.  And not everyone uses STDs anyway.
  • I think they are useful for knowing what's in the area, where hotels are (and links to book the hotel under the group rate are awesome), etc. They are also wonderful for when invitations get lost or forgotten during the day - I can figure out where and when I'm supposed to be at the ceremony and reception without having to text someone else. 

I think putting the about us fluff is really silly on the websites, but it doesn't really hurt anyone. Even though, please check in with your wedding party before putting them on your site. And people really really don't care who is in your wedding party. I barely ever even glance at the names in the program. 

I also couldn't bring myself to put the registry info on our website, though I had originally intended to. I've always been able to Google up the registries of the weddings I've attended, so I felt like putting them on the website was needlessly pointing to "buy PDKH gifts!"
  • I made one to list on our save the dates so people could see that we have a hotel block, get more info on the actual site of our wedding instead of just the town, directions, etc. I took out the "about us" part but did include a few photos. For the proposal sectio I just put a picture of us after the proposal and the date/location, no mushy story. I can see that lots of people viewed it after we sent save the dates and some are going to book the hotel. If you are doing it through the knot I definitely recommend using the password protected option. I don't want strangers or random acquaintances finding it through google.
  • mlg78 said:
    I think it's pretty important to put websites on STDs. That's great you just told me that I'm invited and your wedding is on such-n-such a date...but where is it? Is it destination? Is there a hotel involved I need to be booking or budgeting for? For us, I know our guests really enjoyed reading about us and how we met. My husband and I were together less than 4 months when we got engaged and we'd been together only a year when we got married so many people coming to the wedding were completely unfamiliar with the other person so it kind of brought them up to speed. I also think it's a nice way to say "hey, there's a registry" without breaking any etiquette rules. Our wedding website was listed on shower invitations and on the reception info card with our wedding invites.
    A lot of times, hotel information and so on isn't available at 6 to 8 months before the wedding, which is when STDs are sent out.  And not everyone uses STDs anyway.
    No, but I go back and reference websites as things get closer and if the wedding is a destination wedding, they should be notifying guests of this at the time of the STD...
  • I always check to see if a bride and groom have a website once I find out they are engaged (maybe I'm a stalker like that haha).  Also if I know 100% sure I'm going to the wedding I'll look up hotel information and possibly book even 6+ months out.  I kept our simple with information about where the venue / ceremony is, hotel information and things to do in the area since most guests are from out of town.  I didn't put all the mushy stuff on there but people won't aren't interested in that stuff just don't click those links.  It doesn't take all that long to set up - I would recommend doing one :)
  • mlg78 said:
    mlg78 said:
    No, but I go back and reference websites as things get closer and if the wedding is a destination wedding, they should be notifying guests of this at the time of the STD...
    That assumes that they've even decided that it's going to be a destination wedding at that point.  Sometimes they don't know that until closer to the wedding itself.  All they may know for sure at the time they send out the STDs is that there will be a wedding on the date listed, but no other details.
  • Jen4948 said:
    mlg78 said:
    mlg78 said:
    That assumes that they've even decided that it's going to be a destination wedding at that point.  Sometimes they don't know that until closer to the wedding itself.  All they may know for sure at the time they send out the STDs is that there will be a wedding on the date listed, but no other details.
    But that would be horrible planning by the couples.  So you are saying that couples send out STDs to their guests before they plan anything except picking out a date?  A couple should have a pretty set guest list before sending out STDs since a STD=an invite.

• Jen4948 said:
    mlg78 said:
    mlg78 said:
    But that would be horrible planning by the couples.  So you are saying that couples send out STDs to their guests before they plan anything except picking out a date?  A couple should have a pretty set guest list before sending out STDs since a STD=an invite.
    No, I'm not saying any such thing. If the couple is planning a destination wedding, then yes, it makes sense to send STDs, but they may not have a website up at that time or know all the local hotel, transportation, and other information at that time.
  • My feeling is if you are going to include a website on your STD then you should have a good amount of info included before sending them out (not just a date). And if you are having a DW then you should know the location of that wedding a long with some hotel information before sending out STDs.

• Agreed. My wedding is local but I still felt like I better block a hotel before we sent out save the dates with the website on them. Guests might check back later to see if things like that were added but how would they know when to check? I'm thinking most will just look on there once when they first get the save the date and then forget about it. I don't really plan to update it much.
  • Our website has all the information pertinent to our wedding except for the time of the ceremony (we are still working on that, but will have timing nailed down soon). I also find it kind of pointless to publicize a half-finished site. A lot of people won't bother to check back again until they get the invitation, if they check it again at all.
    ~*~*~*~*~

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards