Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

New Surname

Hi lovelies! My FH and I have decided to create a new surname to take on after our impending nuptials, as we start our new family. I know, it's quite unorthodox - please don't throw things at me :P

This isn't something we just opted for out of the blue. We've been together 11 years (HS sweethearts) and have come to the decision that this works for us personally. We're quite excited for this chance to name and further unify ourselves.

We've narrowed our favorite options down to two and can't seem to decide which we like the most. We'd like to get some non-partisan opinions and insights to hopefully tip the scale. They are both very special to us for different reasons so it's hard to choose.

Our names are Mason and Maegan (I go by Mae). The names we love most are Winter and Wilde(r).

Thoughts? 

Re: New Surname

• I like Wilder.  It's different enough that you won't be one of millions, but it's something people will be able to pronounce and spell without difficultly.  

Also, I think this is super cool.  I wanted to do something similar with a mash up of our names.  H didn't want to change his name, so we ended up just leaving our names alone.  
  • Practice signing the names and introducing yourselves. That's what my parents did when they named me!
  • I like Wilder better; it's familiar but not common.

I think that's pretty cool. I've heard of it done before, but never met anybody who had done it. My girlfriend and I have decided that if we ever have children, we'll have a mashup of names.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree with others and like Wilder better.  Like they said, it's not common, but not super unusual or difficult either. 

• I like Winter. 
  • What are your current last names?

• I like Wilde because I love Zakk Wylde.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I love Wilder because it reminds me of Laura Ingalls Wilder.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• I vote for Wilder. It's normal -- people will spell it and pronounce correctly -- but it's still unusual.

(It's also my friend's last name, in the interest of full disclosure).

Congrats!
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • I prefer Winter, but I think they're both good choices.
  • I think they're all good options but I prefer Winter.
  • Thank you all so much for your comments and suggestions I REALLY appreciate it. I think the signing idea is really great. My signature now is so so so easy that how each feels when writing it will probably be a pretty big deal to me. Also trying the names on in public for a few days is super smart. I imagine that'll get us to a decision very quickly. 

I'm really glad that generally people like both names even if they have a preference of one over the other - gives me confidence that we can't really go wrong and just need to take the one that feels "right" to us. 
  • I prefer Winter.
  • I like Wilde. Oscar Wilde is one of my favorite writers.
  • I like Wilder, but I also wouldn't bat an eye if you picked Winter instead.

Two of my dear friends did this--they combined their last names somewhat creatively and came up with a new one. Just a warning: In the US at least, it's much harder for men to change their last names after marriage than it is for women (very annoying!).

Also the only thing I want to throw at you ... is PRAISE because this is a great idea.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • ^ Haha thank you! I totally understand about the difficulty factor. I think what we will do is have him change his name legally a month or two before the ceremony, continue to go by his "old" name socially until the big day, and then I'll "take his name" when we get married so we only have red tape/higher cost name change for one instead of two. I really appreciate your comment!
  • I like Wilder too!  I have some online friends that also did a mashup and changed both of their last names.  It's different and I think if it's what you both want to do, pick something you both love and enjoy your new names!  :)

• I like Winter!    What does your fiance like?  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • He really likes them both, hah, and he's usually the more decisive one!
  • When my family came over from Italy back in the day, immigration changed our original Italian last name to a one-syllable, similar sounding English word.  This is my paternal grandparents' last name.  When my parents married, they both changed their names, trying to change it back to the original last name.  Somehow, (I don't understand this part!) they had incorrect information and the last letter was spelled differently.  So I basically have a made up last name, but it's very dear to me and I love that I am in all probability the only person in the whole world with my full name.  I'm also thankful that they didn't just keep my grandparents' last name because it's not so great. :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Personally, I like Wilder. Congrats on your new surname :) I think that is a very sweet idea!! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise!!!! 
  • phira said:
    I like Wilder, but I also wouldn't bat an eye if you picked Winter instead.

Two of my dear friends did this--they combined their last names somewhat creatively and came up with a new one. Just a warning: In the US at least, it's much harder for men to change their last names after marriage than it is for women (very annoying!).

Also the only thing I want to throw at you ... is PRAISE because this is a great idea.
    Late the the party, but @phira only in certain states. In OR they changed the law so men have all the same choices as woman for moving things to middle names and hyphenating and such.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards