Wedding Party

Bridesmaid sleeve tattoo

Hi all,

One of my bridesmaids is thinking about getting a tattoo sleeve, but I am not sure if she is getting it done before or after the wedding. I would like the pictures to look cohesive. I know that it is her body and her life and I get that. Would it be ridiculous if I asked her to not get the sleeve until after the wedding? Is there a way we can do the pictures without the bright sleeve showing? Am I being completely ridiculous and selfish about this? I just don't want things to look out of whack I guess...what do you all think? All suggestions are welcome.

Re: Bridesmaid sleeve tattoo

• Okay, thanks! This wedding stuff is making me crazy!
  • It's okay to have a crazy moment, so long as you recognize it. Most of us had one at some point. Good luck!
  • What do you think about have the MOH have a longer dress than the others? (same color similar designs). I thought she would feel more comfortable and look better in a longer dress (she agreed)..thoughts?
  • kschm003 said:
    Hi all,

One of my bridesmaids is thinking about getting a tattoo sleeve, but I am not sure if she is getting it done before or after the wedding. I would like the pictures to look cohesive. I know that it is her body and her life and I get that. Would it be ridiculous if I asked her to not get the sleeve until after the wedding? Is there a way we can do the pictures without the bright sleeve showing? Am I being completely ridiculous and selfish about this? I just don't want things to look out of whack I guess...what do you all think? All suggestions are welcome.
    Yes, you are being completely ridiculous and selfish... You have no right to dictate when she gets a tattoo.
  • kschm003 said:
    What do you think about have the MOH have a longer dress than the others? (same color similar designs). I thought she would feel more comfortable and look better in a longer dress (she agreed)..thoughts?
    This is perfectly acceptable.
  • What makes her that person to get a sleeve of tattoos is probably what makes her your free-spirited friend.  Her personality is why you are such good friends.  Embrace who she is and enjoy your day.
  • How far away is your wedding? Is it outside?

Personally, if I knew I were going to be taking lots of pictures, I'd want to give my new tattoo a few months to heal or do it after. So if your wedding is close, I wouldn't get a huge show able tattoo like the day before. But maybe that's just me.
  • A few of my bridesmaids have tattoos, and the groomsmen are covered in them. Maybe it's different for me, because they are so common in my group of friends, but I wouldn't think twice about it. One of my girls has a chest piece (beautiful and colorful) that will definitely show in pictures. Again, not a big deal to me.

The only reason I might ask anyone to put make up over a tattoo in my wedding pictures would be if it were inappropriate. If your friend got a big penis tattooed on her sleeve, maybe you ask her to put an oil-based concealer over it for the day. Otherwise, let it go. It won't affect your pictures or make anyone less than beautiful.
  • kschm003 said:
    Hi all,

Yes, I'm sure the photographer can pull this off although I dunno how you are gonna convey that verbally w/o offending your BM.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I agree with themuffinman16. As long as the sleeve isn't legitimately offensive like a "see you next Tuesday" in elaborate script, don't worry about it.

"Cohesive" is a little overrated in my opinion. Evil spirits do not kidnap brides so there is no use having identical maids anymore. Celebrate individuality and remember as the bride you will be the sole focus of any picture (plus the groom of course).

• If you really don't want her tattoo showing, I suppose you could pick a BM dress that covers your BMs arms or offer them all shawls of some sort (however, I would make no mention of her tattoo or you wanting to cover it).  I really don't think it matters if she has a tattoo or not and your wedding will go just fine.  Here are some pictures of BMs, some of which have a tattoo:
    Bailie & Curtis' tattooed vegans meet grandma's attic wedding | Offbeat Bride
    yellow bridesmaid dresses
    tattooed bridesmaid
  • Not going to lie, it took me a moment to spot the tattoo in the first picture.  I didn't read the description and thought maybe @doeydo was showing you how BMs don't have to all be cookie-cutters of eachother to look cohesive :)
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • kschm003 said:
    Hi all,

Yes, I'm sure the photographer can pull this off although I dunno how you are gonna convey that verbally w/o offending your BM.

Please, do not ask your photographer to photoshop out her tattoos. This would be a ridic amount of work for the photog and probably not even covered in your contract.
  • Neither my friend, my brother or my sister asked me to cover my bright sleeve. I probably would have been hurt if they did. 

• My mom has asked me on several occasions if I'm making my MoH cover her tattoos - and every time I've told my mom no. I have tattoos and my mom knows this - however mine don't show with my dress - and my mom is ok with tattoos - as ok as she ever will be. She just isn't a fan of my MoH's tattoos - she feels the one is big and not flattering. I'd never ask her to cover them unless I felt they were offensive (it takes a lot to offend me) in any way.
  • kschm003 said:
    Hi all,

Please, do not ask your photographer to photoshop out her tattoos. This would be a ridic amount of work for the photog and probably not even covered in your contract.
    I think she meant could the photographer have them in poses that do not show that part of her arm.

I wouldn't suggest this - you wont get the poses you actually want.  
  • My friend just got a half sleeve tattoo that is absolutely gorgeous.  Granted, my wedding is long gone, but I can't imagine asking her to delay getting it done (especially since I know how many sittings it took and the scheduling issues she had with her work schedule and her artist) for something like a wedding, especially when the tattoo is so beautiful.
  • If you don't want the tattoo in all of your pictures, then you can get the bridesmaids a shawl or jacket to wear with their dresses (or, pick a dress with sleeves in the first place). I think you can also have a talk with your photographer, and in pics (like the last one posted above), make sure that particular bridesmaid is facing with her non-tattooed arm out. Honestly, I think that's pretty reasonable for you to do quietly without her knowing, and to not make a big deal about it.

But as others have said, you want HER to be in your wedding, not just her body. You have to take her however she is. I assume you're not friends based on looks, so in your wedding party it shouldn't matter what she looks like. 
  • kschm003 said:
    Hi all,

I wasn't suggesting the photog Photoshop the BM out of the photos.  I was suggested that the photos can be posed in such a way so that her sleeve isn'r showing.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• kschm003 said:
    What do you think about have the MOH have a longer dress than the others? (same color similar designs). I thought she would feel more comfortable and look better in a longer dress (she agreed)..thoughts?
    If you both like the idea, go for it!  :)  Maybe just make sure the fabric is the same type as well, since different colors look different depending on the fabric.
  • I wouldn't ask her to not get the tattoo until after your wedding but you can purchase dermablend (tattoo make up) if you don't want her tattoos showing on your wedding day.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I wouldn't ask her to not get the tattoo until after your wedding but you can purchase dermablend (tattoo make up) if you don't want her tattoos showing on your wedding day.
    That is equally inappropriate and as rude as asking her to wait to get the tattoo.
  • One of my BM got a very colorful tat on the top of her arm shortly before my wedding. Due to my dark wedding colors and how bright the colors in her tat were due to it still being newer, it did stand out in many of the pictures. Don't let people try to convince you that you won't notice an arm sleeve that covers half or all of her arm. But the issue is will you be comfortable with it. My BM asked me if I wanted her to cover it up w/makeup because the girls had strapless dresses so there was no covering it with her dress. I told her no, it wasn't necessary because I loved her tats and all. She already had a few on her back, but her dress covered most of it. But I would by lying if the thought of having them get matching chiffon jackets didn't cross my mind. But I opted against it because I decided it wasn't a big deal. If her sleeve has things that could be offensive or if the colors are very bright and you don't want that look in your pics, you can get your girls little jackets or shawls which would help cover it during the ceremony and pics but then she could show it off at the reception. Or if it's a leg sleeve, then just have all the girls get long dresses, assuming they haven't already ordered their dresses.  What it comes down to it, you can't really ask her to wait until after the wedding to get it.  And once you see it you can decide if you want to add something to the BM outfits that will cover it up some, but then have all the girls do the same thing as not to single her out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards