Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Beer and Wine Bar

We are planning on doing beer and wine only. Our venue does draft beer per keg (makes me happy, yum!) or a per bottle at almost 5x the price. We're having 84 guests (and not all drink). I was thinking 2 different kegs of beer and a white and a red wine. My FMIL thinks 2 kegs are "entirely too much beer". Which with the wine, it may be. But it is also much cheaper than paying per beer, and I think it tastes much better. I'm just not sure if 2 beer choices and 2 wine choices are good or if a 3rd keg choice of beer (although we already have enough with 2 and the wine) is appropriate. I don't want to be rude, but I don't want to be wasteful either. Would prepaying for maybe 50 assorted bottles of different beers and having them at the bar be ok too? I just want somewhat of a choice without going too crazy on it. Contemplated a signature drink, but we would have Jack and coke and while we want to have fun, we don't want a lot drunk either and liquor and my family? Instant drunk drama. Opinions?
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Beer and Wine Bar

• Gina0887 said:
    We are planning on doing beer and wine only. Our venue does draft beer per keg (makes me happy, yum!) or a per bottle at almost 5x the price. We're having 84 guests (and not all drink). I was thinking 2 different kegs of beer and a white and a red wine. My FMIL thinks 2 kegs are "entirely too much beer". Which with the wine, it may be. But it is also much cheaper than paying per beer, and I think it tastes much better. I'm just not sure if 2 beer choices and 2 wine choices are good or if a 3rd keg choice of beer (although we already have enough with 2 and the wine) is appropriate. I don't want to be rude, but I don't want to be wasteful either. Would prepaying for maybe 50 assorted bottles of different beers and having them at the bar be ok too? I just want somewhat of a choice without going too crazy on it. Contemplated a signature drink, but we would have Jack and coke and while we want to have fun, we don't want a lot drunk either and liquor and my family? Instant drunk drama. Opinions?
    @Gina0887

I think since you're having about 84 guests and not all drink then the 2 kegs and 2 wine options will be enough. I would personally err on the side of having more than enough than not enough. I also don't see a need to buy per bottle. I am sure your guests will be fine with kegs and wine. Always make sure you're paying for what you can afford. Sometimes that alone can make the decision for you
  • @hlvonb I am just concerned is 2 beer options and 2 wine options enough options or should we add another keg to give a 3rd beer option? I'm a Miller Lite girl, and FI is a Stella/or really most imports kinda guy. Would those 2 beers and a red and white wine be enough options? Imports aren't for everyone lol (I can't even stand the smell of most of them)
  • Gina0887 said:
    @hlvonb I am just concerned is 2 beer options and 2 wine options enough options or should we add another keg to give a 3rd beer option? I'm a Miller Lite girl, and FI is a Stella/or really most imports kinda guy. Would those 2 beers and a red and white wine be enough options? Imports aren't for everyone lol (I can't even stand the smell of most of them)
    @Gina0887

I think that should be fine but a 3rd keg with maybe Bud or something may not be a bad idea. That really comes down to what your guests are likely to drink (if you know). Like are the beer drinkers ok with drinking anything or what they like to drink but honestly I think 2 kegs is enough
  • I'm not really sure. Most of his side are wine drinkers, he and a few of his friends are the imports, and I believe mine are pretty good on just "light" beers. I don't want crazy surprise charges so would rather just get extra or would just do the pay per beer. I think I would have a huge surprise at $4-5 a beer and $7-8 a glass of wine rather than just getting extra that won't all be used at the buy bulk rate. Thank you for you input! Just wanted to be sure 4 alcohol choices wasn't being too limited but it is a small wedding :-/
  • Gina0887 said:
    I'm not really sure. Most of his side are wine drinkers, he and a few of his friends are the imports, and I believe mine are pretty good on just "light" beers. I don't want crazy surprise charges so would rather just get extra or would just do the pay per beer. I think I would have a huge surprise at $4-5 a beer and $7-8 a glass of wine rather than just getting extra that won't all be used at the buy bulk rate. Thank you for you input! Just wanted to be sure 4 alcohol choices wasn't being too limited but it is a small wedding :-/
    @Gina0887

Yes 4 should be fine. Since you seem a little worried about it then I would get a 3rd keg but I would not do the pay per bottle option
  • I think it's fine to do a keg of Miller Lite and a keg of Stella (or similar), plus two wines.  For wine, I would go with cabernet sauvignon or merlot for the red, and sauvignon blanc or chardonnay for the white (I personally do not like chardonnay).  I don't think it's too limited.  You are hosting your guests perfectly well, it's ok if someone doesn't get their favorite beer.
  • Yep, Miller Lite and Stella, plus one red and one white wine will be a good variety for your guests.
  • where i am from we have a lot of bud drinkers in our family friends and extended family, they also like sam adams as the other choice of beer but if you know your beer drinkers then you should be ok
  • @Gina0887

Might sound like a strange question, but what time of year is your wedding?  If it is in the fall or winter, I would see if you could get 1/2 keg of Guiness or a Lager, rather than getting another light beer, to add more variety.  However, 1/2 kegs are usually fairly expensive by volume compared to a full keg.

However, I think that Miller Lite, Stella, a red wine, and a white wine are perfectly acceptable.  I usually stick with microbreweries (and I love a good Pale Ale or IPA); but I do love me some Stella!:)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • i think 2 kegs is enough 3 is way to much

go with a nice red wine and maybe a fruty wine such as a white zin
  • We had 150 guests and most are drinkers, and we had 2 kegs and red and white wine, and it was plenty. Three kegs for 80 people sounds like it would probably be way too much.

photo fancy-as-fuck.jpg
  • As wasteful as the price is to me, after talking to FI and FMIL we're going with 2 red wines, 2 white wines, a signature drink (Jack and Coke), and a variety of bottles and doing it based on per consumption. FMIL has something against kegs and we do want the variety so just gonna go with it. Which will also make cocktail hour much smoother since the bar is actually inside the ballroom whereas cocktail hour will be on the balcony before getting to the ballroom.
  • @Hikebikebemerry It is this August 30th. Nice and hot lol
  • Honestly, If anything I would add in a sweet wine. Many people (especially women) like sweeter beverages. The beer seems fine to me. Stella is a basic beer and Miller light is a good basic light beer.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards