Wedding Reception Forum

What did you do the day after your wedding?

We aren't doing a hotel and our only OOT guests are staying with family members so none of them will be at a hotel either. So we're not doing any kind of hosted brunch, but I'd still love to get together with my parents (they are OOT) and a few others (best friend OOT) since they're traveling all this way. Would you suggest hosting them at my house or going to a restaurant where people pay for themselves? How did you see any of these people before you left for the honeymoon? Wedding Saturday, we fly out Monday so we have a whole day off.

Re: What did you do the day after your wedding?

• I would do a casual brunch at your house with things that could be prepared easily, like croissants, bagels, fruit salad, different spreads, meats, cheeses, smoked salmon etc. You could even have bloody mary's and mimosas. It could be a relaxed "open house style" to hang out with people and share funny stories from the night before. You could do a nice continental style breakfast rather inexpensively and you also would not be stuck in the kitchen cooking. Do you know a good bakery? Maybe you could even schedule a delivery for the morning so you don't have to worry about picking anything up. 

I'm not a fan of inviting people to things and making them pay for themselves- especially as OOT guests who have spent money on traveling to your wedding. Also, sometimes after a big meal and night out, I prefer a light casual breakfast rather than another heavy restaurant meal. 
  • We planned to camp out in the hotel restaurant and eat with folks as they checked out, but we were both so exhausted that we just went home. Whatever you plan, make it easy and low-key.
  • We woke up really early for some reason and drove 20 minutes to a Dunkin Donuts for my nieces and nephews. We didn't have donuts shops in the islands, so it was a big treat.

Then we went to the hotel were most of the guests were staying and hung out with them.   Our flight was out of JFK some 4 hours away. So we took off early afternoon, had lunch and drove to the airport.

We wanted to stay in town the day after, it just didn't work with the flights.  At least our flights were late that day.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • We stayed at hotel along with our few OOT guests and my parents. H slept and I went down for the continental breakfast. I saw some of the OOT guests but not all. Once we checked out my parents who were staying at our house and H and I went home. H and I immediately fell into bed for a nice long nap. Then in the afternoon my grandmother stopped by for some leftover cake. After that H and I packed for our HM.

I would have a nice brunch at your house. Go to a local supermarket or a Panera or something like that to order some trays of food (baked goods, sandwiches, fruit, etc) and then just make coffee and have some mimosas and/or bloody mary's. 

• Thanks @londonlisa and @maggie0829 !! I was worried about cooking and hosting but ordering ahead is a terrific plan and there is a Panera a mile from my house!

• We visited w/oot guests in the evening at our house, I had chips & snacks. We had gotten football tickets as a gift for the morning after. We knew well in advance that we were getting the tickets as gifts so we were able to plan around it. But have to admit, I toyed with the idea of wearing my dress to the game to have some fun...lol
  • I would not host it at your house...  We stayed at our home the night of our wedding (we live very close to the airport so no need for a hotel room before we left for our honeymoon.

Even thought I tried to keep the house clean the week of the wedding and tried to straighten up when we got home, our house was still a mess when we left the next morning. I can't imagine having the time to get the house ready for company in the middle of all of the wedding stuff that needs to be done (even if you don't have DIY to finish up).

I would look into restaurants that have private dining or host something at a friend/relatives house if they would be willing.

photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Our reception ended at five.  We checked into our hotel and changed clothes.  We then went to the hotel DH's family was staying at for an hour or so.  They were having a party, they always have a party when they get together.  The next morning we checked out of our hotel and DH dropped me off at his house (we did not live together till after the wedding) and then went to pick up some members of his family for a tour of the ship he was stationed on (he's in the Navy).  I went to my parent's hotel and DH met me there.  My parents had taken all the wedding gifts to their room for us so we opened gifts there and then went out for a late lunch/early dinner with my parents.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards