Just Engaged and Proposals

How did you meet???

I love hearing all of the stories - engagement ones, ring ones, all of them! I think this one is fun too! So how did you meet your SOs? 

BF and I met on OK Cupid. I had actually messaged him a few weeks prior, and after enough bad experiences was actually going on the website to close out my account - but he had responded to me. And luckily enough didn't sound like a total creeper-weirdo! So I stayed on for a few more weeks until we met in person. I did end up closing my account - but because I had met him and we started dating! It was a much better reason to close out a dating website account!
                                Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: How did you meet???

• BF and I met my first week of college in the university concert band (lower tier - wind ensemble was the upper tier). I played tuba; he played either tenor or bari sax. I don't remember what he was playing that semester (he plays all the saxes). We didn't start dating until a little more than 3 years after we met.
  • @TwoDimes - happy "anniversary"! Haha thats pretty great!

@KeptinStitches - I think its awesome you guys met doing that! I played Bari in HS and I miss it a lot. I keep telling myself I'm gonna get back into it but haven't actually done that yet . . . .

• ETA - BF and I are NEY either - guess I could have posted this in that folder . . . . oh well.

• DH and I met through a running and drinking club called hashing. There are actually clubs all over the world; he belonged to one nearby. He came to visit my club and was struck by me, so he came back again a few months later. I asked him for a ride home and well, the rest is history!
  • FI and I met via Eharmony. He was my first Eharmony date and I was his 3rd. Been together four and a half years!
  • misskinababymisskinababy member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2014
    My fiancé and I met at a Starbucks on Long Island in late 2010. He just so happened to be sitting to my left and when I looked at him, he smiled and I smiled. He asked me what I was working on and we started a brief conversation. We started dating that following March.
  • eHarmony here too.  :)  

• OkCupid here too!

I messaged him to say that I liked his hat. :)
  • I met FI at Michaels Arts and Crafts, where I was the custom framing manager, and he was a customer.  That was the beginning of a beautiful relationship!  Been together 3.5 years, engaged for 7 weeks :)
  • We met at work...bonding over body fluid, urine, and blood. haha! We are both medical laboratory technicians for our local hospital. I am not sure how I ever caught his attention in scrubs and a lab coat, but two years later here we are planning our wedding. :)
  • Kenny and I were high school sweethearts and met in our junior English class when he convinced his best friend to switch seats with him so that he could sit beside me. After a few months of shy smiles and small talk, he asked me out, I turned him down, and he proceeded to get to know everything about me over the next week. Then, he asked me out again, and I took a chance and said yes. Four years later, we planned on spending our anniversary walking through Christmas lights (our annual tradition), when he convinced me we should stop by to see our English teacher. We went back to the classroom where it all started, and after hugging our teacher goodbye, Kenny took my hand, dropped to one knee, and gave me the most beautiful proposal asking me to continue making him the happiest man alive. He even had her secretly photograph the whole thing!
  • My fiance and I also met on OKcupid! He was the first person to message me. I had just made my profile and didn't have any information up yet. We really hit it off and ended up going on our first date only 2 days later. 
    photo tumblr_mfhfonwf671rg1b79o1_500_zps27a85afc.gif
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We first met when he was my TA in college. We didn't start talking until I started doing work at the school, and he was in the office next to mine; I was friends with one of his officemates at the time.
  • We met on Pogo Games in a game called Word Whomp.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • My fiancé and I met at a Halloween party in 2007. I was a pirate and he wasn't dressed up. He said the way he dresses daily with studded leather jackets and colored hair is good enough.
  • My fiancé and I also met on OKC. I seriously want to write them a letter and tell them how wonderfully we matched :)
  • We met playing soccer! His dad played on my mom's team, then we starting playing. I looked forward to every friday to see him. After a few years I finally asked him out. We became best friends as we started dating. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We met through my ex boyfriend in 2008. I wasn't dating the ex at time - we were and are still friends.
  • @litote - you should! I wrote a little thing when I did end up canceling my account - but the use all of the successful matches to help with current/future people! 

I did meet quite a few wackos before I met my BF though - so . . . . . 

• FI and I met my freshman (his sophomore) year in college in 2007.  We were in the same Biology class and sat next to each other, which meant we were automatically Bio Lab partners for the rest of the semester.  We remained friends for 6 years before we actually dated.
    Anniversary

• My BF and I met at work in 2007, we worked a retail store. We became friends, hung out with the same group of people. It wasn't until I graduated college and came back to work after I finished school that we became best friends, in 2010. Then at the end of 2011, he started dating our co-worker. I realized I was jealous, which then made me realize I had feelings for him. They didn't date for very long, and one drunken night, I got him to confess his feelings for me, and we've been together ever since. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I absolutely love my "how we met" story:

My FI lived 3 doors down from me in our apartment complex.  I had lived there for 5 years (he had been there for 8 years) and we had never actually met, although I do recall seeing him a few times. He worked a lot and I was working full time and going to college full time. One day the complex screwed up parking and assigned me a new parking space.  When I went to park, there was a car parked in my new space.  So, I told the complex manager and they put a sticker on the car warning to have it towed.  The next day, as I was coming home, he was outside and started teasing me about "stealing his parking space" (it was previously assigned to a vacant apartment, not his, but it was the closest space to our apartments) and nearly getting his car towed.  So, that turned into a conversation... then talking everyday... then he finally made a "move" after hanging out everyday for about 6 months.  I wasn't sure if I really wanted to get involved with him, since he wasn't what I "thought" I was looking for, but I enjoyed hanging out with him so much that I gave him a chance... and I found myself missing him when he wasn't around.  Plus, he had the cutest little dog possible that he completely adored (I figure that if he treats the dog good, he would treat a woman good).

Now, it's 5 years later we are 4 months away from our wedding. And he gets to brag about how he literally found "the girl next door".

• FI was a member of the Praise Band at a church in my area that I randomly selected to visit one Sunday morning. After attending a couple of services, he came up to me and struck up a conversation about the shirt I was wearing (a YouTube gamer's shirt) and I immediately fell head over heels.

We've been inseparable ever since. :)
    Anniversary
  • I met my FI at our Norwegian club!  I definitely wasn't looking for anyone there.  We have a big fish and meatball dinner every year, and he came in 2010 to help his dad out.  He was washing out a giant pot of fish, and I thought, "Who's that cute redhead in the parking lot?"  We were friends for a year then started dating after the same dinner in 2011.

He tells the story differently -- he first saw me at a Norwegian festival in San Francisco 6 months before we met at the fish dinner.  We didn't meet that day, but apparently he saw me and fell for me (and my rad Norwegian dress).  :-P
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was complaining to my BFF about this jerk I had just broken up with. So he (my BFF) was like "there is this guy in my psych class who would be perfect for you! I'm meeting him to study at the library tomorrow you should tag along". I had nothing better to do and figure if nothing else I was going to meet a new person. It was completely awkward when we met but by the time we were leaving the library we had clicked so he asked me to meet him for coffee the next day. That was almost nine years ago.
  • Another eHarm couple here. Sooooooo glad I finally gave into my sister's nagging to join, and thank you Dr. Warren :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • That's so funny @fleur1870. FI and I met at German club! We meet every week at a local dive bar, speak German and drink beer. I'd been going for years before FI showed up. I was dating someone else at the time (a non-German speaker, so he wasn't there), but the minute I saw FI I was like, "Oooh!" The feeling was obviously mutual, but I was upfront about having a BF. he came back a few times, and was pretty much about to stop coming when my relationship ended. He said something like, "That's to bad--I mean, not for me..." As we were walking to our cars we said good night and I walked a couple of feet before he called me back and said "Should we do something sometime?" We went on our first date that weekend, less than a week after I broke up with my ex!
  • We met through my boyfriend at the time. He took me to a party to meet all of his friends for the first time, and that's where I ended up meeting my FI. Of course, as I was just entering a new relationship and he (my FI) was fresh out of his first serious post-high school break-up, things didn't happen for us right away. Despite the fact that my boyfriend and I were an awful couple (he's a Leo and I'm a Pisces; it was never meant to be, haha!), we continued to date for two more years, with one major break-up in there. It was during that break-up that I started spending a lot more time with my now FI and the little crush I had on him eventually turned into something much more serious. But, we still didn't get together because I ended up getting back with my ex-BF (in a moment of what can only be described as sheer stupidity, and being "young and dumb.") But like I said, things were never meant to be between ex-BF and myself, and after another year, we called it quits again. This time, however, I was not going to make the same mistake I made last time! After giving myself enough time to make sure I wasn't "rebounding" or just in some crazy post-break-up emotional state, I finally told my FI how I really felt about him (and, lucky me, he responded that he'd been feeling the same way forever too!) So, after three years of being "just friends" (but apparently with secret crushes on each other almost the entire time), we finally made things official. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• FI and I met in Pakistan; we worked for non-governmental organisations that were in an alliance together and I became very good friends with his colleagues. One of the colleagues invited me out for dinner with all their colleagues one night, and that’s when we met, but didn’t talk a whole lot, was a big group of people and we sat quite far from each other. A week later there was a party, and we got together :) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards