Just Engaged and Proposals

Engagement Parties Ideas??

2»

Re: Engagement Parties Ideas??

• @AddieL73
    Okay. Let me try and understand what you are saying:

If alcohol can't be afforded at a THANK YOU party then I shouldn't have it at all. So basically ETIQUETTE says I should tell my guests "Hey guys, sorry I can't afford alcohol for everyone and instead of being a RUDE host and making you pay for it it's going to be a WATER only event because that's free." Well that's a wedding I wouldn't go to.

And EXPLAINING to someone etiquette and talking shit about the way they want to do things are TWO completely different things.

Since @Maggie0829 @JCBride2014 @CMGragain @KatWAG & @JMallettas are ALL about etiquette I hope you a) are wearing white because you are in fact virgins b) don't live with your FI and c) your dad's are paying for everything as well as giving your FI and his family a wedding dowry. If not then get off your etiquette train and go harass someone about something that matters. Go protest equal human rights! Help girls in 3rd world countries get an education!! Don't worry about brides going against normal traditions. It's not worth the aneurysm.

You do realize that etiquette and tradition are not the same thing right? Etiquette is about treating your guests properly and making sure that they are comfortable which includes your guests not opening their wallets for anything. Having alcohol is not a necessity and should never be expected just like one shouldn't expect lobster and steak for their dinner. If you have the money to host an open bar or limited bar fabulous. If not it is not rude to have a dry wedding. But it is rude to offer something to your guest that they have to pay for. It would be like if you came to my house and I said "I have soda and tea and wine" and you pick wine and I say "well that will be $5."

Wearing white is not about virginity. Wearing white is actually a sign of wealth because wearing white back in the day wasn't smart because it would easily become dirty. Wearing it showed that you had the money to waste on a dress for a one time use.

And not living with your H before marriage and your Father paying a dowry are again traditions not etiquette.

• Why should I prove someone who can't BE NICE to complete strangers wrong? Why are your etiquettes more important than the way someone wants to do things?

Etiquette also says treat others how you would like to be treated.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If you want to be rude to your guests then by all means go for it.

• @Maggie0829 I'd rather be rude to my guests than already have had my wedding, and TROLL sites like this and bash offbeat brides that like to be different then I hope life is worth it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CMGragain said:
    Troll?  I think plentyofus is enjoying posting rude and outrageous things to see the reaction.  Don't feed her.  Someone who has so little regard for other people's feelings is not worth the time.
    or regard toward grammar!
  • (In as calm a voice as possible)

Okay. I get it. Etiquette says this. But why can't you all be nice when you explain it and accept that people have a difference of opinion? Why does it have to be a huge bashing thing? 

Why can't you say, "Etiquette says that throwing your own engagement party is a no-no. So if you want to follow etiquette, then don't throw one, but wait and see if someone will host one for you." 

Instead of how this thread has gone. I understand where you ladies are all coming from, but sometimes people will have a difference of opinion and may not want to follow etiquette. Some people may have family and friends who don't mind paying for a beverage at a wedding, because the bride and groom can't afford to. It could be the guests way of purchasing a drink as a gift to help the couple out.

Some people follow etiquette and traditions more so than others. I think that since it's 2014 everyone should realize that times have changed and not everyone is going to talk bad about you for doing something for yourself.

I'm done arguing and being petty on this site and thread. I've stated my thoughts in a fit of rage and frustration and this is my calm and attempt at peace-making final post.

Have a wonderful day and an amazing life.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Okay. I get it. Etiquette says this. But why can't you all be nice when you explain it and accept that people have a difference of opinion? Why does it have to be a huge bashing thing? 

Why can't you say, "Etiquette says that throwing your own engagement party is a no-no. So if you want to follow etiquette, then don't throw one, but wait and see if someone will host one for you." 

Instead of how this thread has gone. I understand where you ladies are all coming from, but sometimes people will have a difference of opinion and may not want to follow etiquette. Some people may have family and friends who don't mind paying for a beverage at a wedding, because the bride and groom can't afford to. It could be the guests way of purchasing a drink as a gift to help the couple out.

Some people follow etiquette and traditions more so than others. I think that since it's 2014 everyone should realize that times have changed and not everyone is going to talk bad about you for doing something for yourself.

I'm done arguing and being petty on this site and thread. I've stated my thoughts in a fit of rage and frustration and this is my calm and attempt at peace-making final post.

I appreciate your attempt to "make nice" with everything, but the bolded makes 0 sense. 
  • MGPMGP member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2014
    plentyofus said: LOL Please miss me with the whole "etiquette thing" Im not a person who really gives damn about other people opinions :) I appreciated the ladies advice above but this is the way we are doing stuff.

Here's an idea - have KnotPorscha change your name to "
    plentyoftacky".  Sounds a little more fitting.

I appreciate your attempt to "make nice" with everything, but the bolded makes 0 sense. 
    How does it not make sense? If the guests are okay with purchasing a drink then it would be their way of helping the bride and groom out who can't afford too. 

I am sorry that you ladies cannot look past people doing things their own way.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

How does it not make sense? If the guests are okay with purchasing a drink then it would be their way of helping the bride and groom out who can't afford too. 

When doing things "your own way" is the wrong way, it will be pointed out.  You may not care about how you treat your guests, but we will continue to point out the errors of your etiquette in the hopes that lurkers will have better manners.
  • How does it not make sense? If the guests are okay with purchasing a drink then it would be their way of helping the bride and groom out who can't afford too. 

How is a guest paying for their own drinks helping the bride and groom?  Seriously I would love to hear your logic.
  • mimiphinmimiphin member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2014
    CMGragain said:
    Troll?  I think plentyofus is enjoying posting rude and outrageous things to see the reaction.  Don't feed her.  Someone who has so little regard for other people's feelings is not worth the time.
    or regard toward grammar!
    I wonder if she is related to the dating site PlentyofFish??

Perhaps you could also set up a jar on the tables for people to put money in, to pay for your centerpieces?  Or even better, have someone go around the tables and tell each table that you hoped they enjoy the centerpieces, if they would like to keep them on the table they need to pay X amount or they must be removed. 
  • I am so tired of people appointing themselves the deciders of what is a "nice" way to post and what is not. How come the allegedly "not nice" people can't declare themselves "offbeat" like rude idea havers can?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I hope that I have a daughter someday and that she gets married, so that way I can plan an engagement party, because they do seem quite fun and exciting.
  • I don't know why it's not separating my paragraphs. I put them in and tried three times to edit it. Sorry.
  • I loved your idea. I would have done the same.  Forest preserve is a great place.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards