Wedding Reception Forum

Wedding Humor?

Does anyone have any ideas on how to add a little humor into a wedding?  I would like to add something fun/funny to either the ceremony or reception. 

Re: Wedding Humor?

• One of my friends, when they had their grand entrance at the reception they came in wearing boxing robes and boxing gloves and the Rocky song was playing and they pretended to fight then threw them off for the first dance. I thought it was totally tacky and but hey they loved it. 

• More often than not, I think that any attempt to script humor into the wedding day will come off as contrived.  

My daughter made a garter that would be a funny but inside joke between she and her husband.  It took him completely off guard and they laughed hysterically.  Trying to incorporate a group gag or joke probably won't work.

Let the humor fall naturally.  A nervous misspeak during the ceremony, or a funny anecdote during a speech will be all the humor you need.
  • Some of your guests might be offended by humor in the ceremony.  Save it for the reception, when people are in a party mood.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Personally, I don't think the ceremony is the place for humor. It's one of the most serious, legally binding commitments that you can make. If you want to lighten the mood a bit, maybe choose a lighthearted reading. But doing anything too "funny" might make people think you don't take marriage very seriously.
  • Honestly, if you were to go with humour I would do it during the reception.  But, I honestly don't think people find most of the things that people plan on doing to be funny actually funny.  It usually comes off as tacky and eye-roll worthy.  But I did think this unplanned incident was a little funny: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26a8JITwImQ
  • I see that most people find humor during the ceremony inappropriate, which is fine.  I am open to something during the ceremony.  Actually, I wasn't really looking to do anything,  I was looking for little ways to add humor.  For example, putting a little something funny on a small sign, etc.  I agree that trying to do something funny might look a little forced, but just something clever sitting around that might make people chuckle.
  • My sister went to a wedding where when the groom was taking the bride's garter off, he pulled out a rubber chicken, then granny panties, then a baby doll, and some other stuff I think. She said the guests cracked up and I think it sounds hilarious!
  • bequietgera said:
    My sister went to a wedding where when the groom was taking the bride's garter off, he pulled out a rubber chicken, then granny panties, then a baby doll, and some other stuff I think. She said the guests cracked up and I think it sounds hilarious!
    The guests may have cracked up, but that sounds like humor at the expense of one of the couple, and I definitely wouldn't want to do this in the presence of bosses, co-workers, or others for whom risque humor is a no-go.
  • I agree.  Although I would find this funny, others may not and I want to avoid things that might make some people uncomfortable. I was just trying to think of something clever to put on a sign or something like that.  Not really "acts" of humor, if that makes sense
  • zervanbr said:
    I agree.  Although I would find this funny, others may not and I want to avoid things that might make some people uncomfortable. I was just trying to think of something clever to put on a sign or something like that.  Not really "acts" of humor, if that makes sense
    Unfortunately, trying to put anything "clever" on a sign just doesn't have the desired effect.  Humor is real and more appreciated when it's neither forced nor at anyone's expense.  In other words, don't try to be "cute," "clever," or "hilarious" - just go with the flow and it could happen anyway, in a truly desirable way.
  • I lot of it depends on the senses of humor of the two families.  When my brother and sister in law got married and her father walked her down the aisle, he gave her step-father a high five when they walked past.  At the end of the ceremony when the officiant gave permission for my brother to kiss the bride, my cousin (the best man) pulled Binaca out of of his pocket and gave my brother a hit before the kiss.  Those were really the only "jokey" moments but both were quick and went over great with the guests.

Of course, my brother and sister-in-law walked into the reception to Another One Bites the Dust by Queen (and a different cousin came into his reception to Darth Vader's Theme from Star Wars) so I might just have a weird family.
  • I agree trying to be funny doesn't always come off the way you think it will. It's like you get a vision in your mind, but then it doesn't play out right and comes across eye-rolly or awkward. What kind of sign are you talking about? Like just a random sign with something funny related to the wedding?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • For example, I saw a sign at the bar at one wedding that said "Trust me, you can dance"- Vodka. I thought it was funny but not over the top, and I didn't feel like it was forced or the couple was trying to hard. I was just thinking about something along those lines.
  • Oh. Yeah, something like that I would find amusing. If you were doing cocktail napkins, you could have little things like that printed on them, and I would like it. In general, I think cocktail napkins personalized are a waste of money, but if you wanted to do something like this, I think they would be the best place.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14

• zervanbr said:
    For example, I saw a sign at the bar at one wedding that said "Trust me, you can dance"- Vodka. I thought it was funny but not over the top, and I didn't feel like it was forced or the couple was trying to hard. I was just thinking about something along those lines.
    I wouldn't find that amusing.  I wouldn't be offended but I'd be confused why someone would have that at their wedding.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I guess my fiance and I just have that kind of sense of humor... I get that not everyone thinks it is funny and most people seem to not like that kind of humor at a wedding... but I guess we are a little weird and I want something little at the reception that represents our humor.

• zervanbr said:
    I guess my fiance and I just have that kind of sense of humor... I get that not everyone thinks it is funny and most people seem to not like that kind of humor at a wedding... but I guess we are a little weird and I want something little at the reception that represents our humor.
    Before you put anything in your reception to represent your "humor," think about who else will be there.  Elderly guests?  Your officiant (especially if s/he is a clergyperson)? Your/your parents' bosses?  Co-workers?  Are these people you really want to witness your "humor," especially if it's raunchy, risque, or off-color?
  • Thank you for the advice :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards