Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Alternative to Guest Book

So I am looking for an alternative to a guest book. I saw something on Pinterest last night that I thought was cute. It is "signing rocks"..so they are rocks that people would sign and then maybe put into a vase..

What are other alternatives that people are using? Aside from a framed matte pic that people sign around.

Re: Alternative to Guest Book

• Options
    We didn't have a guest book.
  • Options
    One thing I've seen is a paper with a bare "tree" drawn/painted on it, and then have each guest put their finger in a stamp pad (2, one for each wedding color) and press it on the paper as  "leaf," and then put their initials next to it.... the idea of course was to frame it later. 

A lot of people do the mad libs at the table, but I don't know how you put those into keepsake form afterwards.

• Options
    Why do you want an alternative to a guest book as opposed to a guest book?  If all you want is for guests to sign their names, why would it make a difference whether they sign a book or something else?
  • Options
    Jen- I would like something that I will actually look at again. I see a guestbook being shoved somewhere and never thought of again. I received about 15 different ideas on another wedding site. There are just so many more creative ways to do it out there now.

• Options
    We did the rocks. We keep them in a vase in our home, and it's one of my favorite things.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    We did an engraveable picture frame. They signh with a special pen on the actual picture frame. That way, you can hang it with your wedding pictures once the wedding is over.

• Options
    The fingerprint tree, in addition to making guests fingers messy, is also asking your guests to give you their personally identifying information.  I wouldn't be comfortable with this.

I really wanted something we could display afterwards, also.  It was important to my husband that guests could write as much as they wanted.  We ended up getting a beautiful custom book from an Etsy vendor that is now on display in our living room (luckily our wedding colors coordinated with our decor!)
  • Options
    I'm thinking of getting a large canvas print of my fiancé and I that our guests can sign, but I'm worried about it not being big enough for ~100 guests to sign.
  • Options
    kp82883 said:
    Jen- I would like something that I will actually look at again. I see a guestbook being shoved somewhere and never thought of again. I received about 15 different ideas on another wedding site. There are just so many more creative ways to do it out there now.

How do you know you will even look at one of the "creative" alternatives if you're not going to look at a guest book itself?
  • Options
    Fi and I are big foodies, so we are going to get a wooden cutting board and have our guests sign it (it helps that we are only have like 6 guests).
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:
    kp82883 said:

How do you know you will even look at one of the "creative" alternatives if you're not going to look at a guest book itself?
    Well, I think with some of the ideas that people are mentioning, you can put them around your house as decoration (the rocks in a vase) or art on the wall (like the tree poster or what I plan on doing with my cutting board).

The guest book might be fun to have on your coffee table for a few months, but after that it will probably just be filed away on a bookshelf.
  • Options
    I saw an idea on Pinterest.com that I'm greatly leaning towards.  It was a pre-made piece of art, stretched canvas on a wood frame, of a pink heart on a teal or turquoise blue background.  Guests signed the canvas and then the whole thing would be hung in the new couple's home.

I hate clutter and would probably never look through a wedding guest book again after the big day.  This idea lets you take advantage of vertical space.
  • Options
    The idea I am loving is to get a large wooden cutout of the initial of our last name and have people sign that. I found wooden cutouts pretty reasonably priced on etsy. 
    photo tumblr_mfhfonwf671rg1b79o1_500_zps27a85afc.gif
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I had the same dilemma and I was leaning towards doing the thumbprint tree, but I couldn't find a design that I thought I would want on my wall 10 years from now.

Our photographer got wonderful engagement photos during our session, too many to frame.  I saw a Shutterfly promotion on Facebook for a free photo guest book so I decided to do it (can't beat free!!!). They had several different layouts so you can have pages that are just pictures, and some that are a mix of pictures and white space for messages, and some that are the traditional lined pages where people just sign their names.

It turned out beautifully and we actually had most of our guests sign it (which doesn't always happen).  I ordered the book knowing that if nothing else, we had a nice album of our engagement pictures, if people actually used it as a guest book even better.

Here is a link to our guest book (pre-signatures of course): <clicky>
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    Ven&Radio said:
    The fingerprint tree, in addition to making guests fingers messy, is also asking your guests to give you their personally identifying information.  I wouldn't be comfortable with this.

I really wanted something we could display afterwards, also.  It was important to my husband that guests could write as much as they wanted.  We ended up getting a beautiful custom book from an Etsy vendor that is now on display in our living room (luckily our wedding colors coordinated with our decor!)
    My BM had cute stamps at her wedding, same idea as a thumb print but you don't get messy or get their fingerprints. I thought it was a really cute idea and it looks more like a tree with flowers on it.

• Options
    Jenga pieces
    Puzzle
    Sign a leaf/balloon/whatever
    Wedding Guest Book Poster Guestbook Tree Unique Guest Book Royal Blue Wedding Guestbook for 125 Guests Wedding Tree Guest Book Poster
    Signed wooden hearts/other shapes in a shadow box
    Shadow box wedding guest book and Unique Heart Guestbook - 140 hearts  -  Shadow Box Included
    Wine bottles to open on various anniversaries
    Photos/polaroids
    Instant Photo Wedding Guest Book Polaroid Instamax fuji photo booth Purple Rustic Elegant

• Options
    Just found a shop on Etsy today that has some pretty cool prints for guest book alternatives. I'm sure there are others so it might be worth a search for inspiration!
  • Options
    My photo booth vendor offers a guest book, into which people can tape one of the three photo strips they're given and then write a message next to it.
  • Options
    I love the puzzle and the Jenga set!! Although I feel like my jenga games would start taking longer...haha. 
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    We are actually doing this: https://www.etsy.com/listing/164231043/alternative-wedding-guest-book-tree?ref=listing-shop-header-0
    Which is a great alternative to the thumb print option and we can't wait to display it in our home!

And  you can coordinate it with your wedding colors :)
  • Options
    Photo guestbook with our engagement photos and I will being do a thumb-print tree.
  • Options
    I'm thinking along the same lines as MraandMrsMongoose....either the single initial...or all the letters in our last name, mount the letters on a burlap wrapped price of wood after the wedding and hang it on a wall near the front door.
  • Options
    I ordered wooden hearts that people wrote messages on and we have them in a vase in our home.
  • Options
  • Options
    I want to do the jenga pieces! the only problem I foresee is having 150 jenga pieces … that's one big tower! Ill feel bad throwing some out.   
  • Options
    The one thing I wouldn't want to do are the fingerprint/thumbprint things, but that's because I don't want to get ink on my hands-especially at an occasion that involves food.  I also wouldn't want to spill the ink.
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:
    The one thing I wouldn't want to do are the fingerprint/thumbprint things, but that's because I don't want to get ink on my hands-especially at an occasion that involves food.  I also wouldn't want to spill the ink.

Wouldn't you just be using a stamp pad?

I don't really like the thumbprint thing because there's no room for people to write messages.  Why does anyone want a picture of just everyone's name who was at the wedding?  Might as well just frame your RSVP cards or excel spreadsheet or something.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:

Wouldn't you just be using a stamp pad?

I don't really like the thumbprint thing because there's no room for people to write messages.  Why does anyone want a picture of just everyone's name who was at the wedding?  Might as well just frame your RSVP cards or excel spreadsheet or something.

That's possible, but I still wouldn't want to risk getting ink where it doesn't belong.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards