Wedding Reception Forum

chairs..worth the extra money?

Like so many other people planning their wedding, I imagine a perfect look for my reception...question is, is it worth paying the extra money for the upgraded chairs? I've visited a few venues now and the chiavari chairs range from a $2.50- $7.00 per chair upgrade fee. I think they look so nice but each "inexpensive upgrade" adds up quickly when I'm paying for over 125 guests. Do you think I should just cut the chair upgrade out of the picture and save us some money???

Re: chairs..worth the extra money?

• I would skip it (and I visited some venues with really ugly chairs).

We just got our pictures back and I've been working on our wedding album all weekend and I can only think of a few pictures where you can even see the chairs.  The pictures are focusing on the people who are sitting in the chairs, not what they look like.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • I really just care about having a chair, so if you can't swing it financially, I wouldn't worry about it. I think if people can sit down, they won't so much care what they look like.
  • The general opinion here is that nicer chairs aren't worth the extra money.  However, if you can afford it and aren't taking the money away from things that people really care about like the food, drink, or entertainment, then I think you should.  We did and I know I wouldn't have been happy about the look of the wedding if we hadn't.  Honestly, nothing else we spent money on decor-wise, would have looked very good or been worth spending money on, had we not paid for chairs to coordinate with the other decor.  
  • And one other thing- chairs are the most prevalent thing in the room… thus you will notice them.  I always notice ugly chairs because there are so many of them.  And I don't understand how people can say you don't see them in pictures- the chairs are in every, single reception picture because they are everywhere.  

That being said, it is completely unnecessary and I understand that most people don't notice or care- I'm definetely in a minority.  
  • I agree with bluebird.  If it is in your budget and won't take  away from your guests enjoyment (food or drink... do it).  I hat the look of folded chairs, or even covered chairs... if you are wearing heels, you always manage to step on the fabric when trying to pull the chair out.  I find covered chairs to look creepy and ghost-like.  But it is frivolous, and most people don't mind the standard chairs.
  • Would chair covers be a less expensive option for you? Can you post a picture of the chair you're indecisive on and we can decide from there?
  • Out of the 1000 pictures that were taken by our professional photographer only about 5 have our chairs in them.

OP, out of the last few weddings you have been to, do you remember what the chairs look like?

Also remember that once everyone comes into the room, the men take off their jackets and put them on the backs of the chairs and the women throw their wraps and purses on the chair you really won't even seen the nice $8/chair that you rented.

Out of all the weddings I have been to (about 20) I remember the food, the music and whether or not they had a cash/partial cash bar.  I do not really recall the centerpieces, the colored linens used or what the chair I sat in looked like.

• I am a chair snob too. I always notice them and think they can take away from the overall look of the reception! But of course, only if you can afford them without cutting out from other areas...
  • I don't typically notice anything about chairs other than if there were enough of them and if they were hideously uncomfortable. I never remember what they look like. Our venue, being an outdoor garden, included the use of brown metal folding chairs. We had the option of upgrading to nicer white folding chairs for $2 each. For us, it was worth it because the metal chairs are uncomfortable and the metal would get very hot in the sun. For indoor receptions, though, we really never pay much attention.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• I'm dealing with this dilemma too - the very cheapest molded white plastic chairs are about $1.50 from the rental place my cater is using, and the next up (the resin white ones that look a little more substantial, but still folded) are up to $2.50. Those at least are pretty enough to just throw a bow on and call it good. I think that's about as high as I can go for a chair, but all the ones I really wanted were more like $9 each. I just can't justify that. I don't even know if I can justify $2.50 as that certainly wasn't in my budget! I had no idea. 
  • mlg78 said:
    Would chair covers be a less expensive option for you? Can you post a picture of the chair you're indecisive on and we can decide from there?
    imagethis is the best picture I can find of the chairs that they have at my venue. My wedding colors are turquoise with purple accents. Should I just use the chairs as is or pay the extra money for either chiavari chairs or chair covers??
  • mrsbananymrsbanany member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited February 2014
    I am in the minority here as well. I despise covered chairs and I also notice when people have nicer chairs.  Having chiavari chairs was one of my musts and luckily they were included with my venue. If they weren't I would 100% upgrade, I would never cover.  I am one of those weird people who remembers what the chairs looks like.

Honestly, the chairs in your photo are not bad and you could get away with not covering them. I really, really, really, hate chair covers. In my opinion they look cheap and are almost more of an eye sore than uncovered ugly chairs. No offense to those who have chair covers, just not my style.  But I think the chairs in your photo are nice enough but if you really wanted to "transform" the chairs, I would totally get the chiavari chairs, in my opinion they totally transform a room. 

ETA: Spelling
  • mlg78 said:
    Would chair covers be a less expensive option for you? Can you post a picture of the chair you're indecisive on and we can decide from there?
    imagethis is the best picture I can find of the chairs that they have at my venue. My wedding colors are turquoise with purple accents. Should I just use the chairs as is or pay the extra money for either chiavari chairs or chair covers??
    I wouldn't spend the extra money.  They are neutral and as long as they aren't stained and ripped (which if that is the case the venue should cover the cost to replace them) they will be fine.

Not everything in the room has to match your theme and these chairs are neutral enough that the cost and the inconvenience of the chair covers won't be worth it. 

I don't even find them ugly.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • I think those chairs are fine! They're neutral and will fit into any color scheme.
  • Those chairs are great! They are neutral and will go with whatever color scheme you decide. I wouldn't spend one sent on upgrading those chairs.

• I think there is no other way than investing in chair if you want your guest to either walk free in the areas or u can rent huge sofas that could at least have people sit at a time. So which options you choose do it wisely.

• You may not remember exactly what someone's chairs looked like, but you certainly remember whether they had hideous chairs that were the only thing that didn't go with their wedding- at least I do.  I agree with the point that it should be one of the last things to upgrade if budget allows, but at the same time, what's the point of spending tens of thousands of dollars on a beautiful venue, linens, decorations, etc. only to have the effect spoiled because, for example, your beautiful vintage green and gold wedding reception was littered with 150 purple office chairs?

With that said, I was surprised when I saw your photo- those are great chairs to come with a venue.  As the others said, I don't think it's necessary to upgrade those at all. :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think there is no other way than investing in chair if you want your guest to either walk free in the areas or u can rent huge sofas that could at least have people sit at a time. So which options you choose do it wisely.<?xml:namespace prefix = o />

What?  I don't think anyone is talking about having NO chairs being an option..?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You may not remember exactly what someone's chairs looked like, but you certainly remember whether they had hideous chairs that were the only thing that didn't go with their wedding- at least I do.  I agree with the point that it should be one of the last things to upgrade if budget allows, but at the same time, what's the point of spending tens of thousands of dollars on a beautiful venue, linens, decorations, etc. only to have the effect spoiled because, for example, your beautiful vintage green and gold wedding reception was littered with 150 purple office chairs?

With that said, I was surprised when I saw your photo- those are great chairs to come with a venue.  As the others said, I don't think it's necessary to upgrade those at all. :)

Yeah, not at all.  I really don't pay that close of attention to wedding decor at other people's weddings.

• I have no recollection of the chairs at any event I have ever attended of any kind. At all.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • mlg78 said:
    There is nothing wrong with those chairs and they look more comfortable than Chiavari chairs.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think I'll take everyone's advice and just stick with the chairs that come with the venue. When I originally posted the discussion I didn't have a definite venue so the upgrade was a big question. Once I found the venue I thought the chairs seemed ok but I figured I would see what everyone thought about them and whether or not they would match my color scheme. They definitely do seem comfortable so I think my guests will be happy with  them. Thanks for all of your thoughts!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards