Chit Chat

How old were you when you got married?

Re: How old were you when you got married?

• Ours had a lot more to do with logistics than our relationship. We live 2 hours apart right now while I'm finishing residency (done June 20!!!), and we decided we didn't want to get married and STILL be living apart. Plus it'll be nice to have more than 5 days off for a honeymoon. If we'd been able to live together this whole time we probably would have gotten married last year.

It just so happens that 5 years is right before the end, but I still have a week of work after our anniversary, then graduation which I don't want to miss. So July it is!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I will be 26, FI will be 27... We were together just over 5 years when he proposed, it'll be a little over 6 1/2 years when we are married.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • FI will turn 29 two days before and I'll turn 29 the day after we get married - assuming we keep our current date and don't have to postpone.
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • I had a three-year rule ( it could include the engagement), but that's how long we needed to be together. It was totally arbitrary. The first thing that made me reconsider was my dad's argument, that he was with his first wife through high school and then married for 8 years. They still wound up divorced. The other thing is that I turned 30...then that went out the window. We're well into adulthood, we know ourselves really well, we aren't exactly in a rush, but we also aren't in our 20s anymore.
  • I was 26 (about a month shy from my 27th b-day) and H was 27.

Started dating in 2002.  Engaged in 2010.  Married in 2011.

• I'll be thirty and my FI will be 29 at the time of our wedding. We got engaged after dating for about a year and a half and it will be around 2-1/2 years when we walk down the aisle next fall. 
  • doeydo said:
    I'm going to be 22 at the time of our wedding.  We would be coming onto our six year dating anniversary and have been living together for two years.  
    ETA my FI will be 35
    I'm not being judgmental, entirely just curious.  How did that work when you started dating when you were a minor and he was so much older?  I have a family friend that had a relationship with a much older man that got entirely pulled apart, not because of their relationship, but because of all the criticism they received.  I'm impressed you held strong!
  • we were both 24.  Got engaged when we were both 23.  We starting dating sophomore year of high school and for some reason never got sick of each other ; ) We would have married sooner but we both ended up taking an extra year of school for different reasons.  
  • I will have just turned 24 two months prior and FI will be 23 (turning 24 one month later).

Started dating: 2008       Engaged: 2013          Married: 2014

• doeydo said:
    I'm going to be 22 at the time of our wedding.  We would be coming onto our six year dating anniversary and have been living together for two years.  
    ETA my FI will be 35
    I'm not being judgmental, entirely just curious.  How did that work when you started dating when you were a minor and he was so much older?  I have a family friend that had a relationship with a much older man that got entirely pulled apart, not because of their relationship, but because of all the criticism they received.  I'm impressed you held strong!
    @doeydo- consider me curious as well (also not judgmental, but curious)
  • I am 28 and FI is turning 30 two weeks before our wedding.  We dated for a little over 4 years when we got engaged.  We've had a long engagement for various reasons, will be engaged 2.5 years when we get married in July
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • FI and I will be 33 when we get married.  We will have been engaged for a little over 2 years and will have been together for about 13 years.

Enjoy your engagement!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• sarahufl said:
    doeydo said:
    ETA my FI will be 35
    Add me to the curiosity camp.

I was 21 when FI and I started dating, and he was just shy of his 34th birthday. It was difficult for us at first, so I can't even imagine what it would have been like if I had been younger.

• I will be 29 and my FI 32 when we get married. Will have been together just over 2.5 years at that point, engaged for 8 months.
  • sarahufl said:
    doeydo said:
    ETA my FI will be 35
    BMoreBride6sarahufl  Where I live believe that the age of consent is 16 in general and as long as the parents don't mind/fight against the age difference of the younger person in a relationship like mine (between one 16/17 year old and a legal adult), the police don't really interfere at all.  That said, it did take some getting used to for some of our family members.  I am aware that people change overtime and I am going through different things at my age than my FI might be at his age, but we are (and plan to be in the future) open about it all and accepting.  Also, I see a councilor for my own personal issues and it has helped to talk to and bounce some stuff off of her regarding my relationship.   
  • doeydo said:
    sarahufl said:
    doeydo said:
    ETA my FI will be 35
    BMoreBride6sarahufl  Where I live believe that the age of consent is 16 in general and as long as the parents don't mind/fight against the age difference of the younger person in a relationship like mine (between one 16/17 year old and a legal adult), the police don't really interfere at all.  That said, it did take some getting used to for some of our family members.  I am aware that people change overtime and I am going through different things at my age than my FI might be at his age, but we are (and plan to be in the future) open about it all and accepting.  Also, I see a councilor for my own personal issues and it has helped to talk to and bounce some stuff off of her regarding my relationship. 

**Stuck in Box**

So I assume your parents didn't take issue with the age difference? My parents would have shit bricks if I had been a teenager. They had a hard enough time with it when I was in my 20s (until they met FI and realized he's not a creepy old man haha). Personally, I think I'd lean more towards the calling the cops side of it, because I can't imagine any future daughters of mine with a man almost twice their age when they're still so young.

• doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2014
    pumpkinsandturkeys My mom was mad and kind of protective, but she didn't want to do anything to stop me from seeing him because, I think, she worried that I would run away with him or something (not that I threatened her with this or anything).  I also think she might have been kind of relieved that instead of meeting up with random older men and skipping school as I had been in the past few years before FI and I met (I had underlying issues, looking back it is something that I feel myself as a person would never do) that I was just with him and my grades had improved astronomically.  Also, she gets along with him very well now.  I think she figured out that he isn't going anywhere and that we are truly in love.      ETA I can`t  fix the font colour for some reason...
  • Now I am curious too. . . how did you meet your FI @doeydo?  You were 16 and he was basically 30?

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• PrettyGirlLost  It was just before his 30th birthday.  We actually met at a Tim Hortons.  
  • doeydo said:
    PrettyGirlLost  It was just before his 30th birthday.  We actually met at a Tim Hortons.  
    I love that two threads are now being hijacked by Canadians discussing Timmies (@doeydo -- see my Motivation thread haha)

• LizM61409
    My FI and I had to discuss this. I'm looking for a job in his area, but unfortunately they are pretty hard to find at entry level for me in that area. We may be married an live apart for two years, but I didn't want to be engaged for two years after dating for 7. I just wanted to be married already and he felt the same way. So here is to hoping that I can find a job in his area (near my parents home, but will still actually be 1.5 hours away from him. At least I could afford to visit on the weekends).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • doeydo said:
    PrettyGirlLost  It was just before his 30th birthday.  We actually met at a Tim Hortons.  
    I love that two threads are now being hijacked by Canadians discussing Timmies (@doeydo -- see my Motivation thread haha)
    I thought I had the perfect pic to add to the Canadians discussing Timmies thread hijacking, but the colour is to dark so you can't actually see my cat trying to drink an iced capp

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Anniversary
  • cmfarr said:
    doeydo said:
    I thought I had the perfect pic to add to the Canadians discussing Timmies thread hijacking, but the colour is to dark so you can't actually see my cat trying to drink an iced capp

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Does your cat love it as much as this puppy? Haha

• Dating:  21 (me) & 25 (H)
    Engaged: 23 & 27
    Married: 24 & 28
    First baby: 27 & 31
  • I will be 23 and he will be 24 

• Does your cat love it as much as this puppy? Haha
    Weird Boxes
    Kitty can't figure out how a straw works, so she tries to put her paw in and lick it
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Anniversary
  • Both my Fiance and I will be 23 years old when we get married in May.  We dated 4 years before we got engaged and will have been engaged 11 months when we get married :)

• LizM61409
    My FI and I had to discuss this. I'm looking for a job in his area, but unfortunately they are pretty hard to find at entry level for me in that area. We may be married an live apart for two years, but I didn't want to be engaged for two years after dating for 7. I just wanted to be married already and he felt the same way. So here is to hoping that I can find a job in his area (near my parents home, but will still actually be 1.5 hours away from him. At least I could afford to visit on the weekends).
    We've known for a while that we can live together starting summer 2014 so it made the most sense to us to wait until then. Everyone's situation is different though, I'd probably feel differently if we'd already been together 7 years. Good luck with your job search!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was 30; H was 33 when we got married.
    (started dating at 27/30).  dated 3.5 years come wedding day; had a 10 month engagement

Anniversary
  • doeydo said:
    TIMBITS!!!!!!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards