Wedding Party

MOH trying to get pregnant....dress style/size?

Hi Ladies!

So my MOH has been trying to get pregnant. She has actually stopped for a month or two because she wanted to have the baby either before our wedding (12-13-14) or after (for multiple reasons, not just because of our wedding). I FULLY support her having a baby and am SO excited that they are trying to get pregnant!!!

So my question is about dresses and such. Did any of you have bridesmaids that were pregnant in the wedding and how did you order dresses? Since we don't know exactly how far along she will be or if she will even be pregnant.. i want to make sure i'm choosing a style/dress fabric that will make her feel comfortable. Sizes too seem to be an issue. This is her first, so how on earth do you guess how big you will be?

The plan is to pick a colour and then have the girls pick a style of dress they want- but i would like it to be in the same kind of fabric...i'm pretty open to fabrics and such. We are having a winter wonderland theme. I planned on going to David's Bridal or Alfred Angelo for dresses

Any suggestions? And thanks in advance!
Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: MOH trying to get pregnant....dress style/size?

• I'm in a similar situation, one of my BM will give birth about two months before the wedding. Since we have no way of knowing what size she will be at that point, my fiance and I opted for mismatched black bridesmaids dresses (winter wedding). She will therefore be able to buy a dress off the rack just before the wedding.

My recommendation would be let each BM choose a dress in a neutral colour - in other words, a dress you can buy off the rack. Alternatively, you could choose a colour family and have mismatched dresses; your MOH can buy a dress that colour when she can better anticipate her size and the other BMs can purchase it sooner. 
  • Sugargirl1019Sugargirl1019 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2014
    If you're looking for a style and fabric, look at A-line chiffon dresses. David's bridal has plenty. Chiffon is loose and flowy to accommodate different figures, as is the A-line shape since it flows away from just under the bust. On websites, you should be able to select these two things to narrow your search.

Good for you thinking about your friend :)

ETA: for some reason I have a double post in the middle of completing my post... See below for full!

image   image   image

• If you're looking for a style and fabric, look at A-line chiffon dresses. David's bridal has plenty. Chiffon is loose and flowy to accommodate different figures, as is the A-line shape since it flows away from just under the bust. On websites, you should be able to select these two things to narrow your search.

Good for you thinking about your friend :)

Examples:

Long dress - http://m.davidsbridal.com/mt/www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Long-Strapless-Chiffon-Dress-with-Pleated-Bodice-F15555_Bridal-Party-Bridesmaids-All-Bridesmaid-Dresses

Hi-low - http://m.davidsbridal.com/mt/www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Crinkle-Chiffon-High-Low-Halter-Dress-F15417_Bridal-Party-Bridesmaids-All-Bridesmaid-Dresses

Short - http://m.davidsbridal.com/mt/www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Sleeveless-Jersey-Dress-with-Charmeuse-Waist-Band-E44239_Bridal-Party-Bridesmaids-Short-Bridesmaid-Dresses

Your friend should just have to find the dress based on her chest size rather than her growing belly size.

image   image   image

• This is what family friends did.  One of the bridesmaids was trying to get pregnant so they did not order her a dress.  She ended up not being pregnant for the wedding but what they did for her dress was buy fabric in the same color and had a seamstress recreate the dress the other bridesmaids were wearing.  The color was not exact but you had to put the dresses on top of each other and be standing right there to tell.  They would have done the same thing if she was pregnant.  Not sure if it that is an option for you but it's an idea.  

Another option would be to go with a color that can be purchased anywhere so that she could buy off the rack just before the wedding as opposed to something that needs ordered.

As for sizing the way maternity wear works is you usually buy the same size you were before you got pregnant and they are designed to fit you throughout the pregnancy as long as you don't gain too much weight.  If she is pregnant for your wedding a maternity dress will probably be more comfortable and easier for her to deal with than buying a "regular" dress and having to alter it.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited February 2014
    I would say a-lines are the worst, because the smallest part of the dress is at the natural waist.  (Any woman with stomach issues will look bigger there.  The best dress would be an empire waist dress (a dress that is smallest area beneath the bust, and is loose and flowy all the way down.  Chiffon is a very comfortable and forgiving fabric.  I have two pregnant bridesmaids. My MOH will have her bun a month before the wedding.  My other bridesmaid will haver her baby a week before the wedding, at the latest.  If she will have just had the baby, they say she will still be wearing whatever she was wearing at the 6 month pregnancy marker. My maids want to wear matching dresses, but I hoped that they would buy off the rack, so they weren't stuck paying tons of money in alterations. But I want them to do what is right for them and makes them the most comfortable, so I let them decide.
  • I wouldn't be too worried about the fabric. I went with DB and one of my BM was pregnant. She did IVF but it was unsuccessful but four months later she tried again so she ended up only being about 4 months pregnant at the time so she wasn't showing too much. 3 of my girls wore satin but this pregnant one wore the sateen or whatever? It looked fine together. Because it's DB you can wait until closer to the wedding to order and they can also take into account her body changes. She had to get a bit taken in by her bust to accommodate her belly.
  • No advice that hasn't already been stated, but good for you for being a good bride :)
  • My MOH was trying at the time we purchased the BM dresses for my wedding.  She ordered 2 sizes up and had 4 inches added to the bottom (they were knee length dresses).  It was also an empire waist - it leaves LOTS of room for a growing belly.  She was 5 months pregnant at the wedding and the extra size and length worked perfectly.  The seamstress she used had her come back the beginning of the week to finalize the hem line to accommodate her bump.  It was perfect on her.

If you are using David's I would just give them a color and fabric.  They have lots of maternity options and if she needs it, she has the options.  If she can order within 3 months of your wedding and isn't pregnant yet, she can order a standard dress up one size, so she can accommodate any body changes made in the first 3 months of pregnancy (since usually there is no bump) - if it takes her that long to get pregnant.  Good luck to her!
  • I definitely would go with an empire waist gown in a flowy fabric that way it is comfortable for her, and the style flatters all figures so if you want your girls to look the same they would all look great in this style. I'm sure David's bridal has a ton, we are ordering ours from Alfred Angelo and there is a wide variety of colors and styles to choose from.
    Speaking as a new mom (my son is 4 months old), have her order a size bigger in the bust than she normally would as well....I went from a 36B to a 38C and by the looks of it will not be going back anytime soon lol. Good luck to you and to your friend!!
  • With David's Bridal and Alfred Angelo, I believe they both have decent maternity options in their standard colors, and relatively short lead times, so you can hold off on ordering a dress until a few months prior when she'll know how far along she'd be, if she's pregnant at all.  An empire waist is always a good option though just in case she's barely pregnant, she won't need to worry about ordering a size up as it would be comfortable to just not have it fitted in the belly area.  
  • I am going to encourage you to not worry about her being in the same dress as the others.  As a somewhat bigger, sturdier girl myself I have to say Empire waist dresses make ME look pregnant -  not what I am looking for at 53.  With our other girls' weddings I did try on several Empire waist dresses and every single one made me look pregnant.  Don't worry about her dress matching exactly.  If it is the same color and fabric you are fine.
  • Thanks so much to everyone who responded! It gave me some great ideas and i will definitely be having multiple discussions with her.. here's hoping she gets pregnant!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • My FSIL is pregnant and recently went shopping (I'm having them each pick a DB dress in a certain color). Apparently David's Bridal has fake "bumps" you can use for trying on dresses. They even come in different sizes to account for how pregnant you'll be. 

Also with DB you really only have to order ~2 months out. Your BM will know by then if she'll be pregnant enough to show at your wedding. If she conceives the day after the order is in, she'd still be <8wks along at your wedding which won't make a difference with the size.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards