Not Engaged Yet

**Vent**

This semester is incredibly stressful for me. I'm taking my exams in March, finishing my thesis, presenting at two conferences, and creating an entire course from scratch for my directed study. Essentially I just have a lot going on and on top of everything else I need to do this semester, I also need to start applying for jobs. I've been updating my resume and cover letter as well as looking for various places to apply to. I'm going to a workshop this week on how to get adjunct teaching positions and another workshop next week on resume and cover letters. After those workshops my plan in to apply to as many jobs as I can and hopefully have an job offer before graduating or shortly after graduating.

My mom keeps sending me job postings and it's stressing me out even more! I don't have a good relationship with my mom. She is an extremely controlling person and has never listened to me about what I want or been supportive of my dreams/goals in life. So of course these job postings are nothing I would ever be interested in (some of them require entirely different degrees than the one I'm getting). Today she sent me two INTERNSHIP positions...unpaid. I'm sorry but I'm getting a fucking master's degree. I have experience teaching, which is what I want to do. I'm not going to do an unpaid internship that won't even give me experience in what I want to do. All these e-mails do is remind me that in a couple months I won't have a job anymore which is a fucking terrifying fact  I am well aware of and make me think I won't find a job doing what I want to.

I know I'm irrationally upset by the e-mails and should just delete them and move on but with everything else I'm stressed about it's really getting to me even though I'm trying hard not to let it.

Re: **Vent**

• Hugs, beth. Good luck with the job hunt! It sucks that your mom isn't being supportive.

Also, good luck finishing your thesis and at the conferences.
  • @bethsmiles Apply now to your local community colleges.  They set up their schedules for the summer in like MARCH (and for the fall also) so it is best to get your application in the works.  Also, in Virginia at least, a lot of the local private colleges also occasionally hired MS degree people for adjunct and/or simply teaching professorships.  I never even got an interview for those, but ya know...it's there.

But yes, it sucks feeling like I'm unemployed all the time when I am employed and am in the process of applying for more fulltime-like jobs. 
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • I have nothing of value to add other than to commiserate with you. I'm sorry you're having to deal with the extra stress. I'm sure she means well even though it doesn't help and it doesn't feel like it.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Ugh, I'm so sorry. I sometimes try to help friends by sending them job or apartment listings, and I always ask questions about what they're looking for AND I make it clear that they should ignore anything I send that doesn't work for them. It sounds like instead of doing that, your mom is just sending what she THINKS you should want, versus what you actually want.

My mind is boggling at everything on your plate :( Let us know if we can help in any way!!
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Ugh, I'm sorry beth. ALL the hugs! I don't think it's irrational for you to be upset about it. Have you talked to her about it? Or is there a way you can send her emails directly to a folder so you don't have to see them in your inbox? I found that helpful when I reached my breaking point with an overly critical coworker.

Good luck with your job hunt! And exams and thesis. You'll kill it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Ugh Beth I'm sorry! You have a lot on your plate and I can't even imagine the stress. I don't have anything really helpful to say because everyone else has already given you a lot of good adivce. So here's come cute puppies to make you feel better instead!imageimageimage

• Thanks everyone! I'm sorry that was a bit of a post and run, my class ran longer than I thought it would. I'm feeling better about it all now. I think I just need to step away from exam studying and put together everything for a job!

@Blue & White - Thanks for the heads up about applying now! I was going to wait until the end of February but I'll start sending some out this week! Ugh...job hunting I'm not excited at all!!

• @bethsmiles yea, at my current job (which is now online since I moved...) I applied in November and didn't get an interview until May because they had to add a few extra labs for the summer session.

Also, my mom got yelled at last time I was home because she was drunk and kept telling me how she "doesn't get" why I would want to be a teacher, that I should do research instead because I'm "too smart to be a teacher".  I told her that I was also too smart to listen to her drunken ramblings.  ugh.  Normally, she is sane.  I swear.  It was just like "are you SERIOUSLY questioning my life choices at the moment?  I am right about what I want to do with my life."  Crazy lady, but I did just ask her for money to pay for our centerpieces and flowers...sooo I have to be nice, haha.
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • @bethsmiles oh yea, plusalso, it's almost the end of February ;)  Is your degree interdisciplinary?  Mine was in biochemistry and I had a horrible time with the CC accreditation requirements.  I'm qualified to teach bio at a college level, but not chemistry...even though I worked in a biochem lab working on proteins and amino acid structural chemistry...it was a pain.
  • Ugh "too smart to teach." How 'bout all those "smart" profs and grad students who are abysmally incapable of teaching? Shouldn't they be smart enough to do it well?

It's not too early to start drinking, is it?
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • @Blue & White - No, my degree isn't interdisciplinary. Also, I don't understand being "too smart to teach"! I personally prefer smart teachers :)

• @phira @bethsmiles exactly lol. I prefer teachers that love their material and teach it well. Not too much to ask for IMO
  • @Blue & White - Thank you so much for telling me to start applying to jobs now. I applied for a couple of jobs today and I think putting it off was stressing me out way more than I realized! I think I'm just afraid of rejection (especially after not getting the TA job when I first applied) but rejection is better than not having a job because I didn't do anything!

Thank you all so much for the support in this thread! @ImHollister - I especially love the puppies! I was having a bit of an emotional crisis this morning but you've all made my day so much better!
    Anchorman-ilu

• @Bethsmiles - I totally feel you with the mom thing. I'm actually really close with my mom, and I still HATE it when she sends me job listings (which is pretty much every other day). They have nothing to do with my past experience and I can tell right off the bat that many of them are fake jobs posted by recruiters. Just delete them and move on with your day. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards