Massachusetts-Boston

Venue suggestions- small, intimate, on a tight budget, DIY

I am on a tight budget  (less than 10k) and am trying to find a venue that is simple, yet has some character. I would like to have between 50-75 guests and am ok with buffet. I am having a difficult time finding places that I can picture myself using as a venue. I would prefer a late Sept or early Oct wedding, but am also willing to do May. So far, I am considering Groveland Fairways, it is decently priced but it is not really my style...It seems a little bit more elegant than I had pictured and not as intimate as I wanted.. Second is The Harbor Room in Gloucester, and I like it, but it is just a bit small and am worried about using 1 room for all of my needs! I like the "natural" look...flowers, water, etc.  Any suggestions would be very much appreciated! 

Re: Venue suggestions- small, intimate, on a tight budget, DIY

• This may be too far for you since it sounds like you're right in the Boston area and my venue is central MA (near Worcester). But anyways, I'm on the same budget with the same size guest list and we're doing it at Wachusett Mountain. It's a ski mountain the in winter so you can't get much more natural than that. The scenery in fall is amazing and you get to drive to the summit for pictures. They have the option of a rustic indoor room or an outdoor tent- I'm doing the tent reception with an outdoor ceremony in front of a pond.

• sarahcurllsarahcurll member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2014
    thanks! that could possibly work since some of my Family is in the Milford area.
  • Are you flexible on day/time?  We had a Friday luncheon wedding at the Taj in Boston for about 6K for 75 people, including alcohol.  You could potentially have the ceremony at the Public Garden...  I loved their rooftop setting (great view, very modern) but my in-laws preferred the more traditional feel of one of the other rooms.  I also know a few venues offered us deals on pricing if we chose a date in the winter.
  • I feel like it might be difficult for some of my friends to attend a Friday wedding, but I also feel like If I give them a years notice it should be ok.. I know I would be able to take the day off from work. but I am not sure how others would be with that.  I have family that would be coming from the W.Coast so I think that November would be the latest I can have a winter ceremony..I would hate for things to be delayed due to snow!
  • A venue I looked at also in Groveland was Veasey Memorial Park.  It is an older building with personality and the grounds are beautiful. My problem was that the room we liked was too small, but we are having around 110 people.  They have multiple rooms and you can rent the whole building. You can also use the outdoor space.  It was pretty affordable when we looked into it, though they said they were raising their prices the first of the year. It may be worth looking into.  Good luck!  Here is their website: http://www.veaseypark.org/
  • thank you Cole125! I'll check it out.
  • You're welcome! I also would suggest looking into places that may not immediately come to mind.  We talked to our favorite restaurant and found out they had a space that was perfect for our reception.  The only thing is that they don't typically do weddings so you have to be very hands on with planning all the details. Good luck with the planning!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards