Chit Chat

'I don't think there are many Catholic churches in the South.'

Oh.Hail.Mary.

DH and I have a vacation planned for Holy Week -- we didn't exactly mean to be on vacation during Holy Week, but that worked for our schedules and what we wanted to do.

Once I realised we'd scheduled it this way, I actually got kind of excited -- I'm happy to see some of the old, historic churches in the cities we're going to (Williamsburg, Asheville, Charleston, Savannah, Augusta), and I love travelling with DH.

So I mentioned to my friend, who's also the director of religious ed for my parish, that we were doing this. She told me that (a) she doesn't think there are very many Catholic churches in the South; and (b) we should ask our priest for permission (!!); and (c) it's a really unholy idea for us to be travelling during Holy Week.

Blessed Lord, this girl is in charge of the religious instruction in my church and she doesn't think the South has Catholic churches.
Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'

Re: 'I don't think there are many Catholic churches in the South.'

• Go to New Orleans, there are tons there !

My parent's best friends are from a small town in TN.  My parents were the first Catholics that the wife's (G) parents had ever met.  These people were in the 60's.   Until the day G's mom died (some 25 years later) she would ask G how "her Catholic friends" were doing.     Not only were we "gasp" Catholics, we drink also.  So does G, but I think a part of G's mom actually thought my parents were a bad influence on her daughter.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Whaaaaat?!?! Just. No.
  • I don't even know what to say to this. I didn't realize that Catholicism was relegated to the northern and central states. I bet she'd be blown away to find out that we have Catholic churches in Canada, too!

I'd also like to know why travelling is unholy, especially considering that you plan on visiting institutions of faith while on your trip. Did Jesus stay in one place all the time? I think not.

• The only possible issue I could see with traveling during Holy Week is if you didn't keep a prayerful mindset and didn't follow the appropriate fasting.  But as long as you're keeping the spirit of the season, and go to mass when necessary, sounds fine to me.  I love traveling and going to different churches!

And there's plenty of catholic churches here in Texas if you ever come through :)   There's not quite as high a catholic population as in the north, and there are some rural towns in which catholics are quite the rarity.  But overall, there's plenty of catholics and churches here!

Have a fun trip!

SaveSave
  • no. no. no. 

My parent live in Greensboro, NC and have been to an absolutely beautiful church in Asheville a few times. Check into Basilica of St. Lawrence.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I can always count on Hisgirlfriday for a laugh.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • monkeysip said:
    The only possible issue I could see with traveling during Holy Week is if you didn't keep a prayerful mindset and didn't follow the appropriate fasting.  But as long as you're keeping the spirit of the season, and go to mass when necessary, sounds fine to me.  I love traveling and going to different churches!

And there's plenty of catholic churches here in Texas if you ever come through :)   There's not quite as high a catholic population as in the north, and there are some rural towns in which catholics are quite the rarity.  But overall, there's plenty of catholics and churches here!

Have a fun trip!
    And that would have been an absolutely fine concern to raise. But 'unholy'? It's 'unholy' to travel? Uhm....OK.

She also asked me, and this is probably way over-sharing, but whatevs, if DH and I were going to 'abstain from marital relations' during our trip as 'penance' for our trip.

Uhm, first? No. Second? You don't get to assign penance, because you are not a priest? Third? Marital relations aren't a sin. Fourth? WHO ASKS THAT?!?
    Oh definitely, I don't think it's unholy, just trying to come up with ANY possible reason why someone would say that.

Lol I think her question deserved one of these:

SaveSave
  • edited February 2014
    I was raised Catholic and attended a beautiful Catholic school, here in south Georgia. Though I decided not to go through with confirmation, I still attend masses with my family. Catholicism is alive and well around the south. We have been to some beautiful masses in Savannah and being able to attend Holy Week is really a treat. The services are absolutely breathtaking, something about being in the old churches during that time of year, is really moving. I hope you have a wonderful time! 
  • A little OT: I lived in Williamsburg for a year and it is lovely.  While you're there, try to get out of the historic area a bit and check out the modern restaurants near Merchants Square: The Blue Talon is amazing if you like French food, and Trellis has great brunch.  The college campus is also beautiful to walk around.  If you're into craft beer, check out the Alewerks.  And wave hello to the law school for me! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• sarahuflsarahufl member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2014
    born and raised in the south (and Catholic). Never realized there was a shortage of us down there!
  • Thanks, all! I'm really looking forward to the trip. We're obviously going to observe the Lenten requirements, but I'm really excited about seeing the different churches.

Also, this will be DH's first Holy Week as a Catholic -- he hadn't converted yet last year, so he's excited about being able to participate in the Mass fully during the Holy Week services.

I'm still really hung up on the 'are you going to abstain from sex' question, though. I mean...who asks that?!
    Anniversary

• I have no idea. None. But I told the priest this (he and I are friends) and he was like, 'You're going to be in Savannah for Holy Thursday? I'm jealous! You'll get to go to the Latin Mass!'

SO clearly he's OK with it.

I'm just totally blown away that this girl doesn't know that the Church is, you know, universal and all over the place. Also, she's apparently a little fuzzy on when the Catholics got there. She asked if they moved in after the Civil War.

Side tracking just a bit here, please take ALL the pictures in Savannah!  It was one of the cities I tried to pitch to FI for the honeymoon, but he was less impressed about venturing south.

As for the woman in your parish with all the charming questions and comments:

• RWS2011 said:
    I have no idea. None. But I told the priest this (he and I are friends) and he was like, 'You're going to be in Savannah for Holy Thursday? I'm jealous! You'll get to go to the Latin Mass!'

I'm just totally blown away that this girl doesn't know that the Church is, you know, universal and all over the place. Also, she's apparently a little fuzzy on when the Catholics got there. She asked if they moved in after the Civil War.

Side tracking just a bit here, please take ALL the pictures in Savannah!  It was one of the cities I tried to pitch to FI for the honeymoon, but he was less impressed about venturing south.

As for the woman in your parish with all the charming questions and comments:
    This is our (belated) honeymoon! We also did our engagement photos there last April (which is why we're going back this April, same time). 

Sorry your FI wasn't impressed -- it's a gorgeous city!!
    Anniversary

• RWS2011RWS2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited February 2014
    That's what I was trying to tell him, and show him with online pictures.  That did turn into a little bit of ti-tac-fountain though.  If you google Savannah pictures every 4th or 5th photo is of that iconic fountain!  

ETA: Maybe this is stupid, but ever since I saw the movie Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, I have wanted to visit Savannah.  It was so beautiful and just had a different character in the architecture from the region I am from.

• "Catholic" means universal. I am still sitting here with my mouth hanging open from your OP @HisGirlFriday13 . How does any adult Catholic, never mind one in charge of educating children in the Faith, not know that?!?!
  • RWS2011 said:
    That's what I was trying to tell him, and show him with online pictures.  That did turn into a little bit of ti-tac-fountain though.  If you google Savannah pictures every 4th or 5th photo is of that iconic fountain!  
    We had a bunch of our engagement photos taken in front of that fountain because I loved it so much!! 

@TheFutureMrsRohlman22 -- Yeah, she's not the best religious ed person we might have gotten. Her general attitude is, 'I work for the Church, so obviously I know more than a non-Church-working person' on any given topic. She had a fight with her BF the other week about the requirements of marriage, and he was right and she was wrong. She wasn't pleased when I pointed that out.
    Anniversary

• Yeah I have a feeling my Protestant grandmother knows more of Catholicism than this woman. @HisGirlFriday13
  • Yeah, bc no one travels during holy week...it's much better to stay at home if you live far from your family than travel to be near them at Easter. Smh...
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• You will love Williamsburg.

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

• Check out the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist in Charleston.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I have no idea. None. But I told the priest this (he and I are friends) and he was like, 'You're going to be in Savannah for Holy Thursday? I'm jealous! You'll get to go to the Latin Mass!'

I just got caught up and I'm laughing SO hard at work right now.

Also, WTF is with the sex question?? I don't understand why she feels as though she needs to know that. Next, she'll be asking you if you ever have marital relations on Sundays.

• lol, I was in Thailand last year on Easter....what does that mean for me? Pretty sure I had sex, too. Yikes!

You will love Savannah, especially at that time of year. It is a beautiful city.
  • There certainly aren't many Catholic churches compared to the number of Baptist churches, but yes, we do have them down here. Also I'm jealous of your vacation - love Charleston and Asheville but I haven't been to Savannah (even though I've lived in Atlanta for 6 years now) - have fun!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Yeah, there are more Baptist churches than Starbucks around here.
  • It sounds like she really doesn't have a great understanding of what is and isn't correct according to doctrine.

I've also heard other people use their misinformation as a reason to go against the church (such as sex is only to be used for procreation and a woman must have sex with her husband if his penis is erect) but I'd start to question where she learned these "teachings".
  • banana468 said:

It sounds like she really doesn't have a great understanding of what is and isn't correct according to doctrine.

I've also heard other people use their misinformation as a reason to go against the church (such as sex is only to be used for procreation and a woman must have sex with her husband if his penis is erect) but I'd start to question where she learned these "teachings".

This is also a good point. As someone who has met with some incredible ignorance about the Church (actually had someone ask if we sacrificed goats on the altar) I find someone this ignorant in charge of church education disturbing.
  • banana468 said:
    It sounds like she really doesn't have a great understanding of what is and isn't correct according to doctrine. I've also heard other people use their misinformation as a reason to go against the church (such as sex is only to be used for procreation and a woman must have sex with her husband if his penis is erect) but I'd start to question where she learned these "teachings".
    Say WHAT?!?!  I'm not Catholic, but who on earth would believe that?
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • @TheFutureMrsRohlman22 what part of the south are you in? If you want it the other way around, I recommend moving to Seattle. I'd like to live there myself but couldn't deal with the grey skies.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards