Chit Chat

Grrr... Grumpy Pumpkin.

So, it snowed here last night (again). Fully anticipated, and brought my laptop home, expecting a WFH day today.

Got up at 6:00am and checked my e-mail -- nothing calling an inclement weather day. Checked again at 6:30 (because sometimes it comes late), and nothing. Same at 7:00.

Left at 7:15 to drive to work, and the roads were pretty slick, but not the worst we've seen this year.

I dock my laptop and once my e-mail loads, I see one from my boss sent at 7:19am, entitled, "Weather Issues".

Although not an official, site-wide snow day, she called a snow day for our team and told us we can WFH. I cannot drive home because FI has the car, and I'm now stuck here until 5:00pm.

I would really rather be working at home in my underwear right now.

Re: Grrr... Grumpy Pumpkin.

• Isn't there a policy about what time these decisions need to be made by?  If not, there needs to be a convo about that. I would be ticked to find out my boss waited til after I left to make that decision!  You need cookies and chocolate and wine!
  • kmmssg said:
    Isn't there a policy about what time these decisions need to be made by?  If not, there needs to be a convo about that. I would be ticked to find out my boss waited til after I left to make that decision!  You need cookies and chocolate and wine!
    We do have a policy -- the managers have a call at 5:30am on the day-of, and send an e-mail by 5:45 - 6:00. However, as yesterday was a holiday, apparently none of them were thinking and scheduled a call for this morning, so there is no official snow day for office.

Our team manager lives in a nearby region that gets quite a bit of snow on a regular basis and the roads are bad there, so she made an exception for our team (there are only about 10 of us) and let us know we could WFH if conditions in our area warrant it. I just wish she had decided that earlier.

• That is the worst. We had a day last week where the day before we got no fewer than 10 alerts that the next day would be normal operations. Get to work and at 11am they close early.

Really?
  • It's worse when the person making the decision thinks they know more than the weatherman. "NO plans to close early. This will all blow over in an hour." We got FOUR times as much snow as you here, jack hole. It won't blow over in an hour (lasted all day) and even if it did the snow plows don't cover the road our store is on. *urgh*
  • It's worse when the person making the decision thinks they know more than the weatherman. "NO plans to close early. This will all blow over in an hour." We got FOUR times as much snow as you here, jack hole. It won't blow over in an hour (lasted all day) and even if it did the snow plows don't cover the road our store is on. *urgh*
    A-greed! Our office is open today, but 10 mins after I arrived (at 7:45am), fairly heavy, wet snow started falling again, and the wind is whipping. It's going to be a brutal drive home this evening.

• PolarBearFitzPolarBearFitz member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2014
    I feel your pain and send hugs + wine.

Snowed here last night and it took me 3 hours to get to work this morning. I get here and discover people have set meetings with me from 1130AM until 3PM. Not to mention this crazy pants girl who sits in my area came in huffing and stomping. She apparently cannot get my name straight even though it's on a sign right above my head. So obnoxious.

So color me grumpy with a side of annoyed.
  • Ugh. Maybe you should keep some of that wine, @PolarBearFitz !

• *wine and puppy cuddles for all*
  • That really sucks, Pumpkin.
  • Yuck! I hope your day goes quickly at least!

• You should be allowed to spend ALL your time on TK without consequences then while at work today! We'll keep you busy! Are the lights at least on appropriately? What are you doing for food?

image   image   image

• You should be allowed to spend ALL your time on TK without consequences then while at work today! We'll keep you busy! Are the lights at least on appropriately? What are you doing for food?
    Agreed! haha I've also discovered the website How May We Hate You? Hilaaaaarious!

The lights are definitely on, and about half of our staff are here.

We're spoiled rotten when it comes to food! We have about $300 of groceries delivered almost every day -- fresh fruit, individual snacks, nuts, trail mix, cookies, biscotti, cheese, cereal, oatmeal, every kind of bread imaginable, plus Starbucks coffee beans (we have a grinder), 12 kinds of tea, and a professional espresso machine. We also get fresh bagels and 8 different cream cheeses brought in every Tuesday morning, with the exception of one Tuesday a month when we have pastries brought in (today was pastry day). And on top of all of that, we get a catered lunch or breakfast one day a week.

And if you're not feeling any of that, the main floor has a little café where you can get sandwiches, salads, a few hot meals (changes based on the day), and all-day breakfast.

• Oh GOOD! I thought you were there starving all by yourself in a poorly lit office!!!

image   image   image

• Thankfully, no! :) There are about 100 other people here, plus 30 salespeople in town for a meeting in one of our conference rooms. Grumpy Pumpkin thankfully isn't Lonely or Hungry Pumpkin!

• We nicknamed my dog Goose because he makes honking sounds when he pulls on his leash.. anyway, we call him grumpy goose when he gets an attitude at us. I like the word "grumpy" for some reason.

image   image   image

• We nicknamed my dog Goose because he makes honking sounds when he pulls on his leash.. anyway, we call him grumpy goose when he gets an attitude at us. I like the word "grumpy" for some reason.
    I call FI Grump-a-lump when he gets testy haha

• Hahaha love it.

I may or may not also LOVE grumpy cat.

image   image   image

Love Grumpy Goose that is so cute! My boy dog gets grumpy in the morning. Definitely isn't a fan of giving up the warm bed when my other pup just cannot wait to get outside. We tell him he is being a 'Grumpy Gus' when this happens.

To the opposite effect my yorkie will snort and talk to you when you speak to her. She's my little 'Chatty Cathy.' You can ask her about her day and she will seem to be having a conversation with you full of monster noises that range from barks to grumbles.
  • For you, pumpkin!

~*~*~*~*~

• For you, pumpkin!

OHMYGOODNESS I LOVE HIM!!!!!!!!!

Can I have him? Pretty please?

• If I could find where he lives, I would totally get him for you!

~*~*~*~*~

• And this is why you're one of my faves, Cookie :)

Love Grumpy Goose that is so cute! My boy dog gets grumpy in the morning. Definitely isn't a fan of giving up the warm bed when my other pup just cannot wait to get outside. We tell him he is being a 'Grumpy Gus' when this happens.

To the opposite effect my yorkie will snort and talk to you when you speak to her. She's my little 'Chatty Cathy.' You can ask her about her day and she will seem to be having a conversation with you full of monster noises that range from barks to grumbles.
    Adorable! 

image   image   image

• Awww, you're one of my faves too! *sends lots of wine and cookies*

Oh oh oh! Look at these guys!!

~*~*~*~*~

• RAIDER JUST CHEWED THROUGH MY COMPUTER CHARGER CORD!!!

so cute but soooo evil.... evil goose..

image   image   image

• NOOOOOOOOOOO!

I've almost convinced FI that we should get a puppy in the fall. *Almost*

• NOOOOOOOOOOO!

I am not allowed to have pets where I live now, but because I always joked that if FI really loved me, he'd get me a dog (meaning, he'd stop spending all our money so we could buy a house). Well, what did he do? He went to Ikea and bought me golden retrievers.... lol
    ~*~*~*~*~

• NOOOOOOOOOOO!

I am not allowed to have pets where I live now, but because I always joked that if FI really loved me, he'd get me a dog (meaning, he'd stop spending all our money so we could buy a house). Well, what did he do? He went to Ikea and bought me golden retrievers.... lol
    hahaha Aww, love it!

FI's not opposed to the idea of a dog in general; his concern is mainly financial (because he always worries about money, even when there's no reason to). We'll need to get a new car soon, and have babies in the next few years, and move to a bigger house, so he's trying to reconcile all of that with the expense of a dog.

I don't worry about it because we're great at budgeting and we have a fair amount of disposable income currently. We could easily cut back in one or two areas and not take a hit if we had a dog. Also, I know that if we don't get one before we start having kids, it'll be many, many years before we do get one because I'm not about to train a puppy while raising very small children/infants.

I've always had dogs, so it's weird for me to not have one. He agreed to me e-mailing a breeder to discuss the process of adopting, and we're going to go from there.

• Good luck! Both FI and I had dogs growing up, so it's been very strange for us to not have them. We had been looking at dog-friendly rental properties, but they are very hard to find and VERY expensive in our area (which we have to stay relatively near because we're already commuting an hour each way to work). The last place we looked at was 30% smaller than our apartment now, didn't have a garage, and was roughly $400 more per month. No way we could afford a dog if we were paying so much more in rent, had to rent a garage for our show vehicle and work trailer, and probably a storage unit for all of the other stuff we have. Someday, though, Imma get me a puppy!!
    ~*~*~*~*~

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards