Wedding Party

Convertible Dress

Hi everyone!  I am getting married May 30, 2015 in the Northeast Philadelphia area and surrounding suburbs.  I am in the process of looking for bridesmaid dresses and I have found the style and color that I really want but the problem is that I found it online.  I am having trouble finding it in a store where my 'maids can see it in person and try it on and all that good stuff!  I know that Dessy carries a line of convertible dresses but none of the colors fit what I would want.  They're either too blue or too green and I really want a turquoise/aqua color.  I have attached a link to the one I really want.  If anyone knows of any stores or lines that carry something similar in this area, it would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Convertible Dress

• britlynn8 said:
    Hi everyone!  I am getting married May 30, 2015 in the Northeast Philadelphia area and surrounding suburbs.  I am in the process of looking for bridesmaid dresses and I have found the style and color that I really want but the problem is that I found it online.  I am having trouble finding it in a store where my 'maids can see it in person and try it on and all that good stuff!  I know that Dessy carries a line of convertible dresses but none of the colors fit what I would want.  They're either too blue or too green and I really want a turquoise/aqua color.  I have attached a link to the one I really want.  If anyone knows of any stores or lines that carry something similar in this area, it would be greatly appreciated!

Ditto Maggie about the convertible dresses.  They are not flattering at all!

I went to the Macy's bridal in Cherry Hill Mall, in NJ.  They have tons of BM dress designers.  Also, if you wait until they have a trunk sale - all dresses in the bridal department are 20% off, even if you didn't get your gown there.  Most places only discount if the bride purchases her dress from there too.  They might have a bridal salon in the KOP mall, but not sure.

• Convertible dresses, while a cool idea in theory, suck in practice.

Look up an episode of David Tutera's show where he dresses the BMs in those convertible dresses to see what Maggie and I mean.  The dresses look great on model thin women who do nothing but stand still all day, but as soon as you start to move in them, they start to shift, loose there shape, and come undone.  Plus, they look awful and unflattering on anyone who has boobs, hips, a belly, an ass, etc.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I think it was @doeydo who posted a picture of BMs in a yellow/black convertible dresses in another thread and there were some major wardrobe malfunctions just waiting to happen.

• Agree to pick a dress designer and colour, then let your BM's pick a dress they like.

I went with David's Bridal, told them to pick a cocktail dress in marine. I had a MOH and 1 BM, they picked fairly different dresses, even different fabrics, but same colour and they looked great! 
  • my sister has one of those convertible dresses that came with a booklet of about 25 "styles". She could make exactly one of them work. I wouldn't recommend them.
  • I have to add to the list of 'don'ts' on the convertible dresses. One of my BM's had to buy two of them last year for two different weddings in almost the EXACT same color - two corals. Needless to say she was pretty peeved. The fabric is not the best quality, so, for anything other than a beach wedding, they are really not very practical. They also are not flattering on 95% of body types and most styles are quite uncomfortable to wear with any regular bra type. For the cost it would be much more worthwhile to go with a style your girls will be comfortable in all night and stand even the slightest chance of wearing again.
  • I think it was @doeydo who posted a picture of BMs in a yellow/black convertible dresses in another thread and there were some major wardrobe malfunctions just waiting to happen.
    Good memory!  I can't seem to find the picture right now, but I would definitely not trust those dresses to hold all my lady bits in.  
  • Just looking at this dress makes me worry for my lady parts.   Just say no to convertible!  There are sooo many pretty dresses out there... please don't use this :(

If you want your ladies to be varied maybe find a designer and a color you like and ask them to pick any dress from that designer in the color you want.
  • In addition to what the ladies have said bout convertible dresses, which is spot on, it's waaaaaay too early to be looking for dresses for your wedding, which is more than 15 months away!

• MyNameIsNotMyNameIsNot member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2014
    Viczaesar said:
    In addition to what the ladies have said bout convertible dresses, which is spot on, it's waaaaaay too early to be looking for dresses for your wedding, which is more than 15 months away!
    This!

You shouldn't even be asking people to be in the WP yet.  Asking them to buy a dress now is insane.  People will gain or lose weight or change budgets between now and then.  Chances are, you will change your wedding plans a dozen times in that much time.  Hell, someone could get pregnant and have a child between now and then.

Asking people to buy a dress this far out is a recipe for disaster.  Don't do it.  
  • For those of you who felt the need to put in your two cents regarding a question that was not even asked, thanks for not helping at all.  I did not ask for anyone's opinion on the convertible dress. I have one and have worn it to 4 different weddings.  I know what they look like and how they fit and how to tie them.  I asked for a location that sells them, not for you to bash my choice.  And as far as asking for my girls to buy their dresses, that was also never stated.  I said "I am in the process of looking" not "I want them to buy the dresses tomorrow" so you all need to relax.  My choice of bridesmaid would not change regardless of how far we are from the wedding date so for anyone to say that I "shouldn't" be doing this or that is completely out of line.  It is none of your business!  That is not what I asked so therefore you should not be putting your nose into that situation.  I had no intention of asking my girls to buy their dresses now...I just wanted to take them and look.  So thanks for nothing all of you.
  • britlynn8 said:
    For those of you who felt the need to put in your two cents regarding a question that was not even asked, thanks for not helping at all.  I did not ask for anyone's opinion on the convertible dress. I have one and have worn it to 4 different weddings.  I know what they look like and how they fit and how to tie them.  I asked for a location that sells them, not for you to bash my choice.  And as far as asking for my girls to buy their dresses, that was also never stated.  I said "I am in the process of looking" not "I want them to buy the dresses tomorrow" so you all need to relax.  My choice of bridesmaid would not change regardless of how far we are from the wedding date so for anyone to say that I "shouldn't" be doing this or that is completely out of line.  It is none of your business!  That is not what I asked so therefore you should not be putting your nose into that situation.  I had no intention of asking my girls to buy their dresses now...I just wanted to take them and look.  So thanks for nothing all of you.

This is a public message board and people will give you their own opinions on whatever you write.  Sorry if you didn't like the advice that was given to you.  There are multiple reasons why you were given the advice that you were.

First, many people do not look flattering in convertible dresses.  I'm glad it works for you, but not everyone is that lucky.

Second, you were told to wait to ask your BP party because friendships change.  You may think that all will be hunky dory for the entire time you are engaged.  But if you look around on this board and on Moms & Maids, there are many brides who want to kick out a member of their WP because they are no longer friends or are having problems with the friend not helping with wedding things.

Third, you were also told to wait on BP attire because any one of your girls could have a baby, gain or lose a ton of weight, etc.  This is just the reality of life and could prevent other problems later down the road.

• britlynn8 said:
    For those of you who felt the need to put in your two cents regarding a question that was not even asked, thanks for not helping at all.  I did not ask for anyone's opinion on the convertible dress. I have one and have worn it to 4 different weddings.  I know what they look like and how they fit and how to tie them.  I asked for a location that sells them, not for you to bash my choice.  And as far as asking for my girls to buy their dresses, that was also never stated.  I said "I am in the process of looking" not "I want them to buy the dresses tomorrow" so you all need to relax.  My choice of bridesmaid would not change regardless of how far we are from the wedding date so for anyone to say that I "shouldn't" be doing this or that is completely out of line.  It is none of your business!  That is not what I asked so therefore you should not be putting your nose into that situation.  I had no intention of asking my girls to buy their dresses now...I just wanted to take them and look.  So thanks for nothing all of you.
    Oh please, get the hell over yourself and learn to use Google.  There's probably a reason why many stores don't carry those shitty convertible dresses, but you don't want to hear those reasons.

Yeah... I don't get it.  We are not google maps?

We are a bunch of normal ladies from all over the place and nearly every single one of us responded to this dress with horror.  You think your maids/guests will react differently?

• My maids are not friends...they are all family members, either my own family or my FH's so there's really no issue with friendships changing.  And I stand by what I said earlier.  I asked if anyone knows of a place that sells the convertible dresses...period. I didn't ask for opinions on the convertible dress.  I wanted to see them on my girls now so that if they are unflattering (as you all suggest) I have enough time to look for other stuff.  Also, they are very forgiving in the stomach area so if someone were to get pregnant, gain weight, etc, it would work well.  So for future reference, its really frustrating when you ask a question and get 17 responses that are completely unrelated to the question you asked.  All of my maids are relatively fit and around the same size so they may work for them.  Just because they don't work for you or haven't worked for someone you know doesn't mean that they won't work for me and my maids.  
  • My cousin kicked me out of her wedding a few years back and we no longer speak. Being family does not equal never having a falling out. Just something to keep in mind before you assume there is no chance of change.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • britlynn8 said:
    My maids are not friends...they are all family members, either my own family or my FH's so there's really no issue with friendships changing.  And I stand by what I said earlier.  I asked if anyone knows of a place that sells the convertible dresses...period. I didn't ask for opinions on the convertible dress.  I wanted to see them on my girls now so that if they are unflattering (as you all suggest) I have enough time to look for other stuff.  Also, they are very forgiving in the stomach area so if someone were to get pregnant, gain weight, etc, it would work well.  So for future reference, its really frustrating when you ask a question and get 17 responses that are completely unrelated to the question you asked.  All of my maids are relatively fit and around the same size so they may work for them.  Just because they don't work for you or haven't worked for someone you know doesn't mean that they won't work for me and my maids.  

If you want to know where to find these dresses go to google.com for your answer.

These dress are the oppose of "forgiving" in the stomach area. They show every single lump and bump. This dress puts a spotlight on places like muffin tops. I hope all your BMs are size 0-2 and 5'10 because those are the only ladies who look good in these dresses.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • britlynn8 said:
    My maids are not friends...they are all family members, either my own family or my FH's so there's really no issue with friendships changing.  And I stand by what I said earlier.  I asked if anyone knows of a place that sells the convertible dresses...period. I didn't ask for opinions on the convertible dress.  I wanted to see them on my girls now so that if they are unflattering (as you all suggest) I have enough time to look for other stuff.  Also, they are very forgiving in the stomach area so if someone were to get pregnant, gain weight, etc, it would work well.  So for future reference, its really frustrating when you ask a question and get 17 responses that are completely unrelated to the question you asked.  All of my maids are relatively fit and around the same size so they may work for them.  Just because they don't work for you or haven't worked for someone you know doesn't mean that they won't work for me and my maids.  
    Again, if all you wanted to know was locations to buy the dresses then ask Google.  When you post on here you open yourself to all sorts of replies and opinions.  Take them or leave them but if you don't want opinions then I suggest not asking questions on this site.

And as Addie said just because your WP is made up of family doesn't mean that falling outs can't occur.  There are many instances where family members do not talk to other family members for whatever reason.

• People who can't read will never cease to amaze me...I never asked for advice on the dress itself.  I asked for where I can find it.
  • britlynn8 said:
    The hell they are. 

• jenniferursjenniferurs member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited February 2014
    britlynn8 said:

• As far as your question, I can do you one better.

Sign up at www.weddingtonway.com. Click "All Bridesmaid Dresses" on the drop down under "Bridesmaids." Click on Blues. Click on Turquoises. Then select the exact turquoise shade you're looking for. Most likely you'll be able to narrow it down to a couple designers based on the precise shade you're looking for and your bridesmaids can then pick varying necklines/styles in the same color/fabric choice from the designer you like best.
  • Thank you so much!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards