Chit Chat

'I don't think there are many Catholic churches in the South.'

2»

Re: 'I don't think there are many Catholic churches in the South.'

• AprilH81 said:

banana468 said:

It sounds like she really doesn't have a great understanding of what is and isn't correct according to doctrine.

I've also heard other people use their misinformation as a reason to go against the church (such as sex is only to be used for procreation and a woman must have sex with her husband if his penis is erect) but I'd start to question where she learned these "teachings".

Say WHAT?!?!  I'm not Catholic, but who on earth would believe that?

My aunt honestly believes that this is the truth. I love her but I think she confuses rumor and things stated by confused people in the 60s for actual doctrine.
  • banana468 said:
    banana468 said:
    It sounds like she really doesn't have a great understanding of what is and isn't correct according to doctrine. I've also heard other people use their misinformation as a reason to go against the church (such as sex is only to be used for procreation and a woman must have sex with her husband if his penis is erect) but I'd start to question where she learned these "teachings".
    Say WHAT?!?!  I'm not Catholic, but who on earth would believe that?
    My aunt honestly believes that this is the truth. I love her but I think she confuses rumor and things stated by confused people in the 60s for actual doctrine.
    That sounds like something out of the middle-ages...  My mind is blown that some people still think like that.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • @lalalaurita Most people don't consider Oklahoma (where I live) part of the south, but culturally, it is.  I don't like Starbucks but they are prevalent.  My boss really likes that's there is one right across the street.  As for the grey skies...they don't move me.  I like pink-y orange sunsets too much.
  • Check out the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist in Charleston.
    Thanks for the tip! This is now on my list!

I've been to Williamsburg (DH has not) and we've both been to Savannah, but neither of us has been to Charleston or Asheville. 

Since it's his first trip to Williamsburg, we're going to be stuck doing the colonial stuff, I think, which is fine -- I'll enjoy doing it again and he's never done it. Plus, it's close enough to where we live that we could go again for a long weekend and just do other aspects of it.

@banana468 -- the story about your aunt cracked me up! Thanks for sharing!!
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • I'm still laughing at her comments.

New Orleans is so Catholic that at midnight on Ash Wednesday public police officers on horseback come down Bourbon St and clear the streets making everyone go home because it's Ash Wednesday.    

Back in the day everything completely shut down. These days people just go into the bars, but for the most part people really do go home at midnight because it's Ash Wednesday.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I have to roll my eyes at my aunt. I love her to pieces but she'll get on a soapbox and talk about why the Catholic Church's stance on birth control doesn't make any sense and uses that example as a reason why devout Catholics could have so many children that they'll live like the old woman in the shoe.

If you want to argue the rules the go ahead but she is arguing made up ones!

I've been to Williamsburg (DH has not) and we've both been to Savannah, but neither of us has been to Charleston or Asheville. 

Since it's his first trip to Williamsburg, we're going to be stuck doing the colonial stuff, I think, which is fine -- I'll enjoy doing it again and he's never done it. Plus, it's close enough to where we live that we could go again for a long weekend and just do other aspects of it.

Colonial Williamsburg is awesome! Well, provided you enjoy history. We went during our honeymoon and then again with my parents last year. The King's Arms Tavern has some of the best food ever. And good drinks, too, if you're not giving up alcohol for Lent. Do multiple days if you're up for that much walking, because several of the workshops alternate days, and all of them are worth seeing IMO. And if you like roller coasters, Busch Gardens is also a must. Very pretty too, particularly for an amusement park.

Colonial Williamsburg is awesome! Well, provided you enjoy history. We went during our honeymoon and then again with my parents last year. The King's Arms Tavern has some of the best food ever. And good drinks, too, if you're not giving up alcohol for Lent. Do multiple days if you're up for that much walking, because several of the workshops alternate days, and all of them are worth seeing IMO. And if you like roller coasters, Busch Gardens is also a must. Very pretty too, particularly for an amusement park.
    I've got to second the idea of Busch Gardens too. That place is fantastic. This is the third year DH and I have had season passes. It's a beautiful park and the rides are awesome.  Oh, the food and the shows are pretty neat too.
    Anniversary
  • Sadly, DH doesn't like roller coasters, so I think Busch Gardens is out for us. :(
    Anniversary

• What an idiot.  I mean, where I grew up in the South there weren't as many Catholic churches as Protestant ones (1 Catholic, a bajillion Protestant) but that was just one fairly small town.  All of my dad's family was Catholic and had no problems finding parishes in other parts of the South.

And we had our honeymoon during Holy Week - it was pretty awesome, actually.  We were able to go to Easter service at the Wesley Chapel, which is the home of Methodism.  It made the day even more special.
  • RajahBMFD said:
    Check out the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist in Charleston.

I've got to second the idea of Busch Gardens too. That place is fantastic. This is the third year DH and I have had season passes. It's a beautiful park and the rides are awesome.  Oh, the food and the shows are pretty neat too.
    @HisGirlFriday13Anheuser-Busch used to offer a brewery tour in Williamsburg, but I'm not sure if they still do.  They also gave tours of the stables where they kept the clydesdales. 

When I was about 9, we went to Busch Gardens on vacation.  I remember taking a monorail from the park to do a brewery tour with my family.  There ended up being thunder/lightning storm and the monorails couldn't run back to the park, and I was stuck with my family in the brewery hours.  It was boring for me, but my dad loved it...until he ran out of drink tickets, lol. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Sadly, DH doesn't like roller coasters, so I think Busch Gardens is out for us. :(

Ok, I've got a weird quote box thing going here.   Anyhow.  I hate roller coasters.  I love Busch Gardens.  I used to live in Virginia Beach and went to BG a ton.  It's a beautiful park and there is way more to it than roller coasters.  However, it is not a year round park, it is open around Easter but just make sure you check their schedule if you decide to go.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I can't do roller coasters with my motion sickness, but I also loved Busch Gardens! There was so much stuff to see that I never felt like I was missing out by not going on rides.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• I will share all of this with DH and see if he'd be down for Busch Gardens. Thanks, ladies!!
    Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards