Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Bridal Shower Concerns

Im new to bridal forums, so feel free to tell me if I fuck up. Im having issues with my mom who is hosting my bridal shower. She is trying to invite a huge group of people who are not invited to my intimate wedding of 50. I tried politely explaining that it was unkind to those who arent invited to the wedding. It then turned into a fight somehow, and now im the one overreacting. Im just trying to have good etiquette, I told her if she invited people who werent invited to the wedding, id feel very uncomfortable. Is there anything I can do but grin and bear it?

Re: Bridal Shower Concerns

• Options
    It's rude to have people at pre wedding events if they are not invited to the wedding.

• Options
    Tell your mom, "Mom, it's very rude to invite people to a shower who aren't invited to the wedding, because it says to them that I just want their gift but they're not good enough to make the cut for the actual event.  Do you understand how hurtful that comes across?  If not, thank you, but I'd rather not have the shower."
  • Options
    AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2014
    I agree that if she won't back down, you should decline. Maybe then she will take you seriously and do it the right way.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Yeah my mom told me I was being a snob and accused me of making up that rule to prevent her from celebrating. I then declined the shower altogether. So she changed her mind and did it properly. You have the ability to just decline the shower. I lived with my mother and managed to put my foot down.
  • Options
    Thank you! I was nervous about posting to the forums because I still havent figured out all the rules. I appreciate all the advice, I live with my mom and hoped that I wasnt overreacting to the situation.
  • Options
    Thank you! I was nervous about posting to the forums because I still havent figured out all the rules. I appreciate all the advice, I live with my mom and hoped that I wasnt overreacting to the situation.
    The rules are mostly "listen and try to be polite" so you're good!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options
    doeydo said:
    Either she agrees to stick to your guest list or you decline the party.
    This^

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards