Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Can white gowns be worn after a wedding?

I'm hoping someone can settle this argument... My fiance really believes that a married woman is never supposed to wear a white gown again.  He's not talking about wearing a white wedding dress again; he thinks all white dresses in general are not supposed to be worn after a wedding.  I have no idea where he heard this, and I think he's completely wrong.  Thoughts?

Re: Can white gowns be worn after a wedding?

• Options
    Ditto Muppet. Your husband is incorrect.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
  • Options
    Traditionally I think your Fi is right. White represents purity and by extension virginity. Likely you won't be a virgin after you're married so white wouldn't traditionally be okay. But by that traditional way of thinking even a lot of first time brides shouldn't wear white as most people lose their virginity long before marriage. And by that same logic a second, third, etc. bride shouldn't wear white either.

But it really doesn't matter. If you're a person who can look good in white without being washed out and isn't afraid of the dress showing dirt more easily, go for it.
  • Options
    Yay, validation!  Just one of those things that I'm sure he heard somewhere and it stuck with him, even though it's wrong.  Also, if Michelle Obama does it, it has to be okay.
  • Options
    Haha, your FI is being ridiculous. Of course you can still wear white.

Also, people don't wear white wedding gowns to represent purity. They wear them because Queen Victoria wore a white wedding gown and started a trend. Traditionally, women just wore the nicest dress they could afford.
  • Options
    Anyone can wear a white dress any time they damned well please.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Just not after labor day. Jk =) Of course you can wear white!
  • Options
    doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2014
    I wonder if some men actually think this and therefore assume women aren't married if they are wearing white, the same way one would assume that they are married or engaged if they saw a ring or two on a woman's ring finger?  
    Edited to make more sense, hopefully.
  • Options
    My guess is the interwebs
  • Options
    I told my FI this and he was like is that a real thing? Your fiancé is wrong on this one.
  • Options
    smalfrie19smalfrie19 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2014
    Teddy917 said:
    Traditionally I think your Fi is right. White represents purity and by extension virginity. Likely you won't be a virgin after you're married so white wouldn't traditionally be okay. But by that traditional way of thinking even a lot of first time brides shouldn't wear white as most people lose their virginity long before marriage. And by that same logic a second, third, etc. bride shouldn't wear white either. But it really doesn't matter. If you're a person who can look good in white without being washed out and isn't afraid of the dress showing dirt more easily, go for it.
    BLUE is the color of virginity....NOT white...that's why the Virgin Mary is depicted in BLUE..not white...so should I not wear blue anymore??

ETA @Teddy917 ...by this "traditional" logic...does this mean YOU are still permitted to wear white??? 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    The etiquette part is figuring out how the OP can politely tell her fiance that he's totally wrong.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    This got heated. I feel like I need to clarify that he wasn't being an ass about it. He just had a misconception, which I have now corrected.
  • Options
    Teddy917 said:
    Traditionally I think your Fi is right. White represents purity and by extension virginity. Likely you won't be a virgin after you're married so white wouldn't traditionally be okay. But by that traditional way of thinking even a lot of first time brides shouldn't wear white as most people lose their virginity long before marriage. And by that same logic a second, third, etc. bride shouldn't wear white either. But it really doesn't matter. If you're a person who can look good in white without being washed out and isn't afraid of the dress showing dirt more easily, go for it.
    No.  No, it doesn't, and no, that's not correct.

• Options
    Jen4948 said:
    That's ridiculous.

The "white represents virginity" argument is crap.  There are two reasons white became the traditional color of wedding gowns:

1) White was very expensive to keep clean, so it was chosen for wedding gowns to indicate wealth and status, and

2) Queen Victoria wore a white wedding gown.

In any case, it is no one else's business whether or not you are a virgin, so you can wear any color you like.

Yep, white became popular thanks to Queen Victoria. In her time, brides often wore golds and silvers to symbolize their wealth. She was already queen, and did not need to make a statement of her wealth. She chose white as a way of showing support to the people who made lace.
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2014
    Ladies who are members of the Daughters of the American Revolution wear white gowns to state and national conference until they are 35.  My daughter has done this for years.  I'm too old to qualify.
    I believe Order of the Eastern Star does this, too.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    Funny story, it was wedding dress shopping that made me realize I can pull off white. I thought I was too pale, but I love the way I look in it. I now own several white dresses, going on three years after my wedding.
  • Options
    AddieL73 said:
    Gasp!  Clutching pearls.  What?  Not after Labor Day! ;-)
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    CMGragain said:
    AddieL73 said:
    You and I are in the minority in thinking this rule still stands. :)
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    kns1988 said:
    This got heated. I feel like I need to clarify that he wasn't being an ass about it. He just had a misconception, which I have now corrected.
    I don't think anyone thinks he was being an ass. They're just in awe about where he got the idea in the first place. I'm in awe about what he expected you to do with the information if it was in fact, a "rule".
  • Options
    CMGragain said:
    AddieL73 said:
    I'll join you in that minority.  A wedding gown is the sole exception to the no white after Labor Day or before Memorial Day rule
  • Options
    CMGragain said:
    AddieL73 said:
    I'll join you in that minority.  A wedding gown is the sole exception to the no white after Labor Day or before Memorial Day rule

Before Memorial Day? Everyone I know always said Easter is when you wear white again. When I was little, I would get new white dress shoes for Easter. Haha
  • Options
    CMGragain said:
    AddieL73 said:
    Or a First Communicant gown, because that sacrament happens before Memorial Day. But YAY for company in the minority!!
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    All this talk about white after Labor Day makes me think of Serial Mom.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards