Not Engaged Yet

Another Monday! How was your weekend?

Re: Another Monday! How was your weekend?

• @brisox81 SQUEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • @brisox81 yay!! I love that ring!!!!

Anniversary

• @Brisox81

Oh. My. GOD. That is ... that is AMAZING!!!! I am seriously breathless looking at that stunning ring. Oh my god.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • This is the ring that I REALLY love, and you can see the little differences - the stone is bigger, while the halo diamonds are smaller, no metal around the outside, the band stones aren't channel set. BF knows that this one is my preference, but honestly, I'll be happy with ANYTHING. 

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• @BriSox81 I can definitely tell the difference, especially with the band. I like the smaller halo a lot better.
    Anniversary
  • @phira - me too! I also like it without the channel setting - I don't like the metal on the outside (for lack of a better, more technical description, haha). 

Also, the second ring's center stone is bigger. haha. 

*******************************************************************************************

• @BriSox81 EEEEE!!! Beautiful! Both rings are so gorgeous. I'm more partial to channel set personally but I am digging the 2nd ring!! Especially with the smaller halo! YAYYYYY!!!!

• @buddysmom80 Boston Creme Pie sounds AHmazing!! I would totally nom your cake.

• I still love the second ring, @BriSox81.  LOVE IT!
  • I'm with you @TwoDimes. I prefer the halo stones to be much smaller. Also, I don't really like channel set stones (just a personal preference). My previous ring had channel set stones and it got so dirty. I never made it to the jewelers as often as I thought I would. 

@BriSox81 - I freaking LOVE any ring that's on your finger, but the 2nd one is my fav!

• @brisox81 I really want a rose gold morganite ring now just because... they are so beautiful!

Anniversary

• @ollie88, most of the time it's ok. His son is 15 and is really for the most part a good kid. Lazy at times, but if you bug him- he usually does what he needs to. He's a lot of fun.

His daughter is 17 and at times I want to knock her silly. She is a good kid, but thinks she is an adult and has no respect for other people
  • Random question: Does anyone have a recommendation for a candy thermometer?

I've got a pretty decent one. I haven't tried calibrating it recently, but I think it's reading fine. The problem with it is that the clip has never been very good. Even with thicker sauce pans, the clip doesn't prevent the thermometer from slipping all the way down to the bottom. The bulb doesn't touch the bottom, which is great, but it's hard to make fudge when I'm trying to wait for the temp to drop to 110°F and there's sticky chocolatey sugar-stuff covering the thermometer up through 140°F.

I don't have any preference for digital vs. analog. Just something that is reliable and won't slide to the bottom of the pot.
    Anniversary
  • @cu97tiger, have so much fun seeing JT! My co-worker is going with her daughter for her birthday, and I was super-jealous.

@Lmhollister, yummmm, cake!

@TwoDimes, glad you survived your Star Wars filled weekend. :) Probably your BF is thinking, "I got a good woman here to put up with this level of geekiness - better put a ring on it soon!"

@BriSox81, so gorgeous! And SQUEEEEE!

So this was a really good weekend! Of course it started with work on Friday evening, which is meh, but it's nice to be making money.

Saturday I slept in a little and then had a phone date with my best friend who lives in IN. We have actually seen each other in person maybe a handful of times (we met at a creative writing seminar the summer we were 16), and it's just awesome that we have kept up a friendship for eight years based pretty much on monthly phone calls. We started talking about doing a fun trip or something for our ten-year friendiversary, which I think is an AMAZING idea. After I called her, I went to lunch with my brother, and then that evening I baby-sat for my co-worker. I had a great time with the girls, they had a great time with me, and their parents had a great time without any of us, so...success!

Yesterday I felt seriously sick in the morning, but I dragged myself to a study session with a friend. We were at least a little bit productive, so now I don't have too much to review on my own for our exam next week. I came home from that to find my dad, mom, and brothers being all nostalgic over home movies, so I watched those for a while and hung out with them. Then my friend and I went to see Spamalot, which was hilarious! It reminded me how much I miss going to plays, so I'll have to make it a point to do that more often.

This morning I woke up to my mom and some of our co-workers having night shift happy hour, which is what they decide to do on random mornings after work. So there were mimosas, there were quiches, and there was CAH! I had never played before, and I'm pleased to report that it was just as hilarious as y'all make it out to be. I see many CAH games in my future. Now I'm obviously procrastinating, but I'm about to pack up and head to school so I can study without distraction.

• @TwoDimes I would have jumped at the chance to see that game! Me and el Senor are big Star Wars nerds. One of our favorite jokes is to randomly call out "It's a Trap!" in Admiral Ackbar's voice.

@brisox81 OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!!!!image

"Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• Oh I totally forgot to mention my ugly engagement ring dream HAHAHA

So Friday night, I woke up after this horrible dream. It was the morning of the c section, I was lying in bed about to get up and shower, and el senor threw like 3 engagement rings at me and said "Here, pick one and I'll send the others back." Apparently he had ordered them all from some online jeweler. They weren't just ugly. They were mother fucking ugly. They were made of pewter for the band, and crystal for the stone. One was a whole set (wedding band and all) and barely fit my pinky finger. The other was HUGE like I could fit two of my ring fingers in it. The third I don't remember. Then my mom walked to our door and asked what was going on and I told her that he'd asked me to marry him but that the rings were awful.

And then I woke up. Weird. This was my first ugly engagement ring dream.

"Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• @beanbot2002 that is pretty funny! I had a few ugly ring dreams myself..

Anniversary

• @BriSox81 Love the second one!  So pretty!

@beanbot2002 when my ute finally cooperates will you come decorate my nursery?

Ugh.  Monday.  There is not enough coffee or wine for today.

This weekend was good, and very laid back.  I ate well, worked out, and went to acupuncture.  Clearly my scale hasn't gotten the memo yet.  Boo.  

We also got our taxes done. Yeah, taxes suck.  H and I officially owe the government more than my first car cost me.  Writing that check is painful.  Plus, H made comments to make our tax guy think I was KU. Nope, just nice and fat these days.  Awkward. 

My parents are coming into town for a doctor's appointment this afternoon and they want to meet up for dinner.  I love them, but this means I get to pay for dinner because they are broke.  Not excited about it.  Especially since my mom wants to do a girls day next weekend, which I'm pretty sure she can't afford.  It usually means I'm the nice daughter and pay for most of it.  

I hate finances.  

H and I also got in a fight last night about buying a house, also because of finances. We tentatively had talked about it for this summer.  It depends on multiple factors for it to even happen.  I like to plan and look at my options.  H likes to think about the worst case scenario and plan around it.  He was convinced I was planning on buying a place , wiping out our savings right this second, and wanted to live paycheck to paycheck.  Um,  no.  I just want to be a homeowner and would like to be prepared going into it.  Just because two of our friends did that does not mean I will too.  Grrr. We have lots to figure out before we would even look anyway. H wants to stay in the city forever.  He also wants a 2 car garage.  Yeah, he's in for sticker shock.  

We meet with our financial planner next month.  Based on the two pieces above, I'm guessing it won't be pretty.  Getting old sucks donkey balls.
    photo bridalparty.jpg
  • @brisox81 - I LOVE LOVE LOVE that ring! Morganite is one of my favorite gemstones! This is all so exciting!!

thatssotrue_com_1257_1329759570

• TwoDimes said:
    @suzie211, I laughed at your comment about your H being in for sticker shock. BF and I watch too much HGTV, and we always make fun of the people who want to stay in the city AND have a 2-car garage (or big yard, or whatever) for a specific price. Not gonna happen. They can usually only get one or the other, unless they are willing to up their budget.

When you guys are ready to buy, do you think you'll stay in the city or move to the burbs? There are SO MANY Chicago suburbs I can't keep them all straight!
    H would be one of those people in HGTV.  In the price he wants to spend he wants a single family, in a good school district, and a 2 car garage.  Not going to happen unless we spend double.  Ha.  

H desperately wants to stay in the city.  He has a 15 min commute and is spoiled.  He spends long hours at the office, and doesn't want to add to that with time in a car.  It limits where he is willing to go in the city and the burbs.  I'm okay with the burbs when we have kids, but H isn't quite there yet.  He wants at least another 5 years here. So anything we buy will be in the city.  If we do move out it would be to one of the burbs south or west of the city within a very short train ride back in.
    photo bridalparty.jpg
  • @suzie211 I'm really not that great lol. I used pinterest for a shit ton of inspiration. I just kind of had a vision in my head of how I wanted it to be and just went from there. None of the pieces 'match' in terms of style of construction, but they all seem to go together really well. I still have more to add, for instance I wanted a hanging light from the ceiling, but we don't want to pay to have an electrician come in a run the wiring right now. Maybe later. And I need to add some wall art/decoration. I'm really just piecing it all together a little at a time :)

• @lmhollister I hate fondant.  And kinda cake, frankly.  We're having a dessert bar (cheesecake, brownies, cookies, petit fours, choc covered strawberries) and a cutting cake (carrot cake).  Yummm

@phira It was so hard to register, haha.  We really don't want to much and don't need a ton of upgrades.  But we did get our awesome new pot/pan set at our shower.  And I'm PSYCHED to use it after the wedding haha

This weekend was pretty fun.  Saturday, we tried to explore a bit.  We went to the flea market and it was pretty terrifying.  There were a lot of smelly people there, and some really random stuff.  Tons of old Nintendo games, though, if anyone needs me to send em some ;)  I know we have some gamers around here - not sure how retro you all get.  We started working on our centerpieces and realized the wood we got wasn't going to work - it was too thick.  So we adjusted the plans to use wood we already had but staining it.  Fixed that up Sunday.  Got most of our card box done too - I just need to quilt some fabric for the top and make it all pretty.

Today, FI woke me up because the sub-system was calling me.  I ignored it and then a principal called cause she was desperate, lol.  So then I went in to sub.  It was really chaotic because the class was really crazy and there were no sub plans (thank god the teacher next door made me some sub plans, but they weren't quite enough to keep the class occupied.)  I'll be pretty psyched not to be subbing for them tomorrow.  I mean, I got paid and that's nice, but holy moly.  They were crazy (and I always feel like such a failure when the other teachers come in and yell at the kids for me...)  Anyone else a sub?  I obviously need some better tools in my basket.
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • laceybirdlaceybird member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2014
    My weekend was absolutely dreadful.

As some of you know, I work at a city jail that is usually very uneventful as far as major emergencies are concerned. Well, on Friday, an individual in our jail hung himself when he realized he was facing major charges.

It was the most surreal thing ever. The weekend was filled with interviews, reviewing security footage, and a good deal of alcohol on my end. I can't comment too much on the matter (simply because it's still an ongoing investigation), but the entire thing has left a disgustingly sick feeling in my stomach.

And of course there's the whole "What could I have done to prevent this?" and "Was there anything I did that may have been his trigger?"

It's a dreadful feeling knowing someone died on your watch.
    Anniversary
  • Uffda, @laceybird. You're in my thoughts.
  • @laceybird, I'm so sorry. That is so upsetting. *hugs*
  • Hugs @laceybird that's really hard and scary. Make sure you get any help you need during this time too if necessary. It's crazy how work can affect us so much sometimes (because frankly, it's not just work, ya know?)
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • Saturday I went to see Robocop with BF and my cousin.  It reminds me how thoughtful BF is...my cousin is 18 but he is mentally challenged, so he acts more like 13, so he doesn't have very many friends.  BF has taken him under his wing and taken him to movies every once in awhile.  Sunday I relaxed and went running with the BF...3 weeks until the Shamrock run!!  Today is my Sunday, so I did laundry and errands, and in a little bit I'm going to Xtend Barre.  It kicks my butt!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My weekend was pretty tame. On Friday I went out to eat with my FI's sister and mother. Everything was going well until his sister saw a friend, chatted for a bit, and then the friend made a reeeeaaally bad comment to the mom. Then FI's mom and his sister argued about what the friend said. Why do people do this when they eat out?

Saturday I cleaned my house, made a trip to target and watched a ton of TV. We watched celtics basketball and ate pizza. On Sunday I hung out with my best friend to catch up. It's been rough times since her H (a super close friend, even prior to their marriage) and her decided to divorce. She still loves to talk weddings, but sometimes I feel really weird about it since she just had her wedding in 2012. 

I'm mad at myself for going to bed so early last night. I missed watching Girls!! I'll watch it in a bit though. And I wanted to see the finale of 90 day fiancee but I didn't record that. I only have myself to blame.

@blue & white I teach- and I hate covering classes for other teachers! Especially when there are no plans! As far as classroom management goes, I just stick to a routine and make it firm with the class. I usually close the classroom door and stand outside with the roster and check them individually in. This has set a tone with the students, and the classes I cover run smooth because I do it differently than the teachers that wait inside for the kids.

• @500days agreed that standing outside the class definitely helps. I've taught a lot at the college level and so far have only subbed middle school. It's a big difference lol so I know I just need to get past the learning curve.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards