Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Gifts

So i am getting into the long haul of planning and I have been thinking about the registry. I know it is typical for you to put household goods on it but what if you and your fi already live together and own most household goods needed for a house together. What do you put on the registry?

Re: Gifts

• Options
    Bbk1211 said:
    So i am getting into the long haul of planning and I have been thinking about the registry. I know it is typical for you to put household goods on it but what if you and your fi already live together and own most household goods needed for a house together. What do you put on the registry?
    There are a couple of options. 

You can 'upgrade' -- nicer/newer/bigger versions of things you already own. 

You can register for special things -- maybe fine china and crystal for when you entertain.

You can create a small registry and then tell people, ONLY IF THEY ASK, that you are registered at X store but you're really saving for Y object (new dishwasher, fancy vacation, etc.).

If people know you live together and see a small registry, most of them will be smart enough to figure out that you want cash.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    Upgraded items. Otherwise, you do not need to have a registry.

image   image   image

• Options
    Upgrade, fancy extras like china or crystal, hobbies you AND your FI like to do (camping, some sports equipment, etc) or skip the registry.

Anniversary
  • Options
    I disagree with this. There are still people out there who still prefer to give boxed gifts, especially if there is a shower. You should have at least a small registry for these people, but like Friday said, most people will figure out that you'd prefer cash.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    RebeccaB88RebeccaB88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2014
    Upgrades - new, bigger, better quality of anything. Could be cookware, table settings, small appliances, towels.

Special things, stuff you might really want but not be able to buy for yourself - a KitchenAid mixer, ice cream maker, game table topper, towel warmer for the bathroom, clothes steamer, new luggage for the honeymoon.

Home decor - throw pillows, wall art, vases, candleholders, slipcovers, window treatments, tablecloths, door mat.

Extras - some things wear out, you know? Sheets, pillows, towels (who doesn't need extra towels sometimes?)

Do you want to entertain family or friends?  Sometimes you'll be in the middle of setting up and realize you don't have what you want. - serving platters and bowls of various sizes, drink pitchers, punchbowl, cake stand, salad bowl, dessert dishes or plates, napkin rings, extra glassware, flatware, dinnerware, board games, folding table and chairs, a grill and grill tools, drink chillers, bar tools (ice bucket, martini shaker, etc), or even china, silver, and crystal if your guests budgets will allow and you want it.

Do you celebrate holidays where you might want decorations?

General home stuff - tools (power and otherwise), lawn care stuff, gardening stuff, patio furniture, storage items (Rubbermaid totes, shower caddy, closet system).

Try going 'idea shopping' at somewhere like Macy's or Bed Bath & Beyond, or on Amazon. See what catches your eye that you might really use if you had it.  But, then if you don't really need or want anything, it's fine to just register for a few things and tell people what you're saving for. Don't fill up a registry of stuff you don't really want.

• Options
    Upgrades - new, bigger, better quality of anything. Could be cookware, table settings, small appliances, towels.

Special things, stuff you might really want but not be able to buy for yourself - a KitchenAid mixer, ice cream maker, game table topper, towel warmer for the bathroom, clothes steamer, new luggage for the honeymoon.

Home decor - throw pillows, wall art, vases, candleholders, slipcovers, window treatments, tablecloths, door mat.

Extras - some things wear out, you know? Sheets, pillows, towels (who doesn't need extra towels sometimes?)

Do you want to entertain family or friends?  Sometimes you'll be in the middle of setting up and realize you don't have what you want. - serving platters and bowls of various sizes, drink pitchers, punchbowl, cake stand, salad bowl, dessert dishes or plates, napkin rings, extra glassware, flatware, dinnerware, board games, folding table and chairs, a grill and grill tools, drink chillers, bar tools (ice bucket, martini shaker, etc), or even china, silver, and crystal if your guests budgets will allow and you want it.

Do you celebrate holidays where you might want decorations?

General home stuff - tools (power and otherwise), lawn care stuff, gardening stuff, patio furniture, storage items (Rubbermaid totes, shower caddy, closet system).

Try going 'idea shopping' at somewhere like Macy's or Bed Bath & Beyond, or on Amazon. See what catches your eye that you might really use if you had it.  But, then if you don't really need or want anything, it's fine to just register for a few things and tell people what you're saving for. Don't fill up a registry of stuff you don't really want.

This is a great list and i never thought about needing any of this stuff but now that i think about it i guess we could use some extra towels lol we had a guest last week and had no towel to give them :/ what great host am i 
  • Options
    Bbk1211 said:
    This is a great list and i never thought about needing any of this stuff but now that i think about it i guess we could use some extra towels lol we had a guest last week and had no towel to give them :/ what great host am i 
    I used to work at a store as a registry consultant, so I learned a few things, lol.  Another thing - think ahead. Maybe you don't need a lot of this stuff right now, but someday you probably will. It will all keep until you need it, or have your own house, or are in a bigger apartment, etc.
  • Options
    touche lol yeah see we had got out own house last winter and got alot of items do to a agreement with my mom we had cause she lost her house due to something my dad did so free stove washer drier dish washer refrigerator table chairs shower curtians pots and pans microwave and much much more I know i am a privileged child and glad for winning the agreement 
  • Options
    Bbk1211 said:
    touche lol yeah see we had got out own house last winter and got alot of items do to a agreement with my mom we had cause she lost her house due to something my dad did so free stove washer drier dish washer refrigerator table chairs shower curtians pots and pans microwave and much much more I know i am a privileged child and glad for winning the agreement 
    Uh, your mom lost her house because of something your dad did and you're "glad for winning the agreement" because you got to take a bunch of her stuff since she didn't have a house anymore?  Did I just read that correctly?

• Options
    Viczaesar said:
    Bbk1211 said:
    Uh, your mom lost her house because of something your dad did and you're "glad for winning the agreement" because you got to take a bunch of her stuff since she didn't have a house anymore?  Did I just read that correctly?
    Color me confused, also.  Bbk1211, can you clarify?  Maybe we are just missing some punctuation that would explain this.

But I agree with PPs on the registry thing.  We live together but we're still making a registry with some upgrades.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    Viczaesar said:
    Bbk1211 said:
    sorry i was typing that in real quick yes my mom lost the house cause of something my dad i wasnt glad for that it was that my mom made an agreement between me and my brother who ever got a house first would take the stuff cause she no longer wanted a house cause her and my dad split after that so my mom got an appartment and made an agreement and i won the agreement cause i got a house 4 months before he did gosh i sounded me in my last post :S
  • Options
    We registered for towels, everyday dishes, some appliances that we don't have or that we had handmedowns of (like, my blender was my grandmothers from maybe the 70s, it's REALLY heavy), sheets and comforter set etc...  We have a bed and sheets etc but we are going to make that our guest bed and upgrade to a King. So we'll be all set when we can afford it.

Oh and silveware that doesn't bend.
  • Options
    Like everyone else, we registered for some upgrades.  We also registered for a bunch of things that we could totally live without, but would be nice to have (example1, example2)
  • Options
    I disagree with this. There are still people out there who still prefer to give boxed gifts, especially if there is a shower. You should have at least a small registry for these people, but like Friday said, most people will figure out that you'd prefer cash.
    If the couple doesn't resigter and doesn't want boxed gifts then don't have a shower.  The point of a shower is to shower the bride with gifts.  Instead they can have a luncheon/tea.  If they want physical gifts (not gcs/cash) then they can have a shower, but I think they should register unless they trust their guests will pick out things they need/like.
  • Options
    We are in a similar situation, and thought it would be tough to make a registry, but it was easier than expected. There were things we needed to replace, old cutting boards, burnt oven mitts, etc. Then there were a few random things we saw we realized we'd like, golf bag luggage (we love to golf together, but always get frustated we can't bring our clubs places), a wine rack (our wine is stacked up on the floor right now). Do some browsing. We ended up with 75 items between $10 and $300 (totally went for the Kitchen Aid Mixer). It's not huge, so we are hoping people get the gist.
  • Options
    We're in the same boat.

We decided to go for a new set of towels, etc., and a nicer dinnerware set. We also added on some new (and upgraded) stemware and a nice decanter because I love wine, whiskey, etc.

There were also some kitchen appliances we've wanted or needed to upgrade but haven't gotten around to buying for ourselves.

It's basically a wish list. As long as you don't turn into a diva about it, take a look around and have some fun :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards