Wedding Party

MIL suggests a double wedding?

We've been engaged a while, but haven't set a date yet.

My future Sister In Law got engaged over the holidays and her mother suggested to them today at dinner that we have a double wedding and get married at the same time.

I thought he was joking when he told me, he says she's dead serious. She has to be joking, right? Right?

It's definitely not going to happen!  I am just glad that I wasn't at this dinner. I probably wouldn't have been able to control my expressions.

Re: MIL suggests a double wedding?

• I would have your FI just politely say to his mother, "Thank you for the thought, but OnionBreath and I would prefer for our marriage ceremony to be solely for us".

I would freak out too. :)

image   image   image

• Holy crap. I know those used to be common, but daaaaaamn.

That's just...crazypanta
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • I would have your FI just politely say to his mother, "Thank you for the thought, but OnionBreath and I would prefer for our marriage ceremony to be solely for us".

They just flat out told her no when she said it. I don't think it's something I have to worry about but... reallllly? 

She thinks it will save us a lot of money because she's already paying for her daughter's wedding and half of the people would be at both weddings. Not so much.... it would be really lopsided if that's the case as we are planning 40ish right now and shes inviting neighbors, her belly dancing friends (she takes a class) and distant cousins.... my folks would be lost in a sea of his mother's social circle.

• How awkward for the guests who don't know both couples! You'd have to sit through a stranger's wedding, congratulate them on the receiving line, watch their special dances. It would be awful!
  • I didn't even think of those things!
  • How awkward for the guests who don't know both couples! You'd have to sit through a stranger's wedding, congratulate them on the receiving line, watch their special dances. It would be awful!
    This. As a friend/family member of one side but not the other, I would feel very uncomfortable.
  • I swear some people suggest this thinking it is actually helpful.  My BFF and I got married 6 months apart.  We did have some of the same guests on our list and some of them did not make it to both weddings.  I mentioned something about it to a friend and she suggested the double wedding.  Yeah, our mutual guest list was not that big and we wanted some very different things for our weddings.  Like she wanted outdoors and I wanted indoors.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The only double wedding I've ever heard of was when a set of twins married another. That is the only time I think it would work and it still is so weird to me!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Exactly this.
  • That is so Brady Bunch.

But not in a good way.

• I am a twin and my sister is engaged.  Everyone in my family suggested a double wedding.  I was thinking, Okay.. we shared a room, our clothes, everything...  is it possible to have one day where it is about me as an individual and my future husband ( I am sure no guy wants to share a day with his sister n law)?  I love my twin sister and we share so many interests, but it is still frustrating to be seen as one person. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards