Chit Chat
Options

anyone else not doing a videographer?

As much as I want a videographer, FH and I are working on a tight wedding budget. We couldn't justify paying 3-4k for a 5-7 minute video; therefore, we decided to opt out on a wedding video. Anyone else doing this? 

Re: anyone else not doing a videographer?

• Options
    We're not doing a videographer either. We aren't the sort of people who would watch a video of the day again ourselves, and I HATE people who make their friends and family sit through it all over again. And knowing my family, someone will record the whole thing anyway.

We're not even hiring a pro photographer because we can't justify spending the kind of money they want...
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • Options
    We're not doing video either. We had originally wanted to, but it's just not in our budget. We'd rather spend that money to include more of our friends at our wedding and to provide them with a properly hosted event with kickass food and lots of booze. Besides, we realized we'd never watch a wedding video anyway.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    FI is really trying hard to talk me into it... but I'm in the same boat as both of you. I'm actually trying to find someone to do it for like $500...
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    Grabows14 said:
    FI is really trying hard to talk me into it... but I'm in the same boat as both of you. I'm actually trying to find someone to do it for like $500...
    Yeah, I was considering hiring university grad students who have access to up to date software and have the free time to spend. My only drawback would be reliability and end result. Good luck to you!! I hope we both can come up with more cost efficient alternatives! :)
  • Options
    I did a video for my first wedding, but it was SO much wasted money. At the time, I actually questioned whether we should do it, but then we found a videographer that did awesome work, so I felt the need to get one. We watched it once and now I just have a random wedding video that will never get watched again. I think if you are on the fence, I'd just dump the extra money (if there is any) into getting a nicer photo album and getting more prints made.

• Options
    We didn't have a videographer. H really didn't want one and I was indifferent so his opinion won out. No regrets at all.

One of my Knottie friends Ustreamed the ceremony so some of our other Knottie friends could watch live and she was able to save it at the end. It's still available to view now and I want to figure out a way to save it on a drive of some sort just so we have it. 

• Options
    We are skipping this also. Even student videographers were way to expensive. (Like more $ than 2-3x our venue cost.) I'd rather just go with a nicer photography package.
  • Options
    We're not having one and never even considered one.  It wasn't one of our "must haves" or even "would like"s.  FSIL's BFF records everything anyway!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We have the money but we are skipping it. I just don't think we would watch it.
  • Options
    We've thought about it but honestly to us it's a lot of money for not a ton to show for it. I think it would be super cool to have a video of the day, but I don't feel the need to pay boo-koo bucks for it. Maybe I can get my cousin to just wear a Go Pro all day! Haha :)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Didn't want it, didn't get it, don't regret it. We're just not video people.
  • Options
    I wouldn't mind not having one, but I think FI is leaning towards one. IDK if we will end up getting it though. Whenever we do excursions on vacations, we always get videos. We have never watched these videos. We maybe watched one like twice. So I just feel that pictures would go a long way as opposed to a video.

The only video that I have seen multiple times and have shown off multiple times is my skydiving video lol.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    I really want one, but FI doesn't want to spend 3 - 4K on a video.

Personally, I would watch it all the time, and would cherish it more than photos. We never had a video camera or even a regular camera when we were kids, so there are hardly any photos of us growing up, and no home movies. I would love to be able to start documenting our marriage and this part of our life together from the day we devote ourselves to each other, and be able to show that to our kids and grandkids down the line.

Unfortunately, I knew that he would be against it and didn't work it into our budget from the beginning (if I had, he said he'd be more open to considering it). I kind of regret that now, but we do have a great photographer, so at least I'll have a lot of fantastic photos to look back on.

• Options

Where are you located?  Our videographer was $1500 and the dvd is about an hour...  Worth every penny.

I wouldn't spend $3-5 grand for 5-7 minutes though...  That is crazy.

photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    We didn't have one and didn't want one.  To us it would have been a waste of money.  A friend of ours video tapped the ceremony.  We didn't ask him, he just did it .  I think I watched the video once.

• Options
    We don't have one right now (wedding is in May) but we really want to find someone to just do the ceremony. We obviously don't want to ask one of our guests to film it, but we really just want the ceremony and nothing else, but all the videography packages I see are for all day and I really don't need a movie trailer version of our entire wedding day. We asked our photographer for help, and he said he would contact some people he knows and see if they are willing to film us for the half hour or so of the ceremony itself.
  • Options
    I had one. My favorite vendor and the only one I was completely over the moon happy with the final product. Mine was $2K and worth every penny. I got the full package, all day coverage and a music video short format video in addition to full ceremony and getting ready/ photo shoot/ reception highlights. I would never make anyone watch it. I only shared the short music video with people, many of them wanted to see it with me offering. 

I wanted it for the future. I think down the line we'll really appreciate it even more. My cousin's favorite "movie' growing up was her parent's wedding video. She watched it almost every day when she was little.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    We are undecided right now. We have a potential videographer who wants to do our wedding because he wants to build his portfolio for potential clients. We are putting him at the bottom of our "want" list to see if we have enough money in our budget to do it. I would be ok with not having one but I would like to have one.
  • Options
    We didn't do one and I don't regret it.  I can't stand watching myself (oddly, I have no problem with photos).  A friend of my mom's recorded the ceremony and gave us a copy just the other day.  I don't even want to watch it!  It was very sweet of her though and she'll be getting a thank you note for it soon.
  • Options
    I wanted to spend that money on food and photography, so no video. :-)
  • Options
    I had one. My favorite vendor and the only one I was completely over the moon happy with the final product. Mine was $2K and worth every penny. I got the full package, all day coverage and a music video short format video in addition to full ceremony and getting ready/ photo shoot/ reception highlights. I would never make anyone watch it. I only shared the short music video with people, many of them wanted to see it with me offering. 

I wanted it for the future. I think down the line we'll really appreciate it even more. My cousin's favorite "movie' growing up was her parent's wedding video. She watched it almost every day when she was little.
    @photokitty and I had the same videographer and he is amazing!
  • Options
    We likely won't do video. It's going to be a very intimate wedding/reception (no dancing either), so I imagine the photographer will be able to catch everyone in all their moments.
  • Options
    We're not having one.  It's not a budgetary issue, I just don't want a videographer following me around all day and I hate watching myself on videos.  My FI would hate it too.  I have seen some really sweet wedding videos but they are often over the top sentimental and FI and I aren't openly mushy like that.  (Only in private :) ).
  • Options
    We had one. We wrote our own vows and I was so caught up in the moment I couldn't even tell you what DH said.  Being about to hear it again may the video priceless.  We didn't spent anywhere near 3K though.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We have no interest in doing one either, for many of the same reasons stated above. 

I had to laugh because... well, a little background. I'm still pretty good long-distance friends with a guy I dated briefly in college. He moved out of state right after college, and I never ended up meeting the woman he married until just recently. When he was planning their wedding he'd tell me about some of the details, and they had a videographer. He posted the highlights video on Facebook, which I watched, and it was lovely.  
    He was then telling me that they were having a party and having all their local friends over to watch the full video. I was like, "Well, no offense but... really? ...Why?" He replied that it would be fun, and people wanted to watch it because they were on it.  Boy was I skeptical!  Your friends already celebrated your wedding WITH you, are you such an AW that you think everyone wants to re-watch it? I was hard-core eye-rolling and it's a good thing this conversation was over instant message. 

This all being said, an acquaintance from high school just got married and her photographer took every single photo, every. single. photo., converted them all to black and white, and made a movie out of the sequence of stills.  Given how many snaps a photographer or two take over the day, it comes out looking like an old-timey movie. It was incredible!  

• Options
    We're not having one.  It's not a budgetary issue, I just don't want a videographer following me around all day and I hate watching myself on videos.  My FI would hate it too.  I have seen some really sweet wedding videos but they are often over the top sentimental and FI and I aren't openly mushy like that.  (Only in private :) ).
    To the bolded.  I would be so self-concise about everything I was doing.  I was already that way with the photographer so I could only imagine what I would have been like if a guy with a video camera was following me around recording my every move.  I would not have been able to really enjoy myself because I would be worried that I would do something or look stupid.

• Options
    To the bolded.  I would be so self-concise about everything I was doing.  I was already that way with the photographer so I could only imagine what I would have been like if a guy with a video camera was following me around recording my every move.  I would not have been able to really enjoy myself because I would be worried that I would do something or look stupid.
    I was much more comfortable with the videographer bc he never told us to do anything. He just stayed int he background and I rarely noticed him. Our photog was constantly saying "go there", "do this" or "put your hands like this." The photog made me far more nervous than the videographer. Maybe bc I knew the video was just for us and it wasn't going to be on a wall or in the book for people to see. :)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    We have two videos (one from the pro and one FIL made) and have watched each once. We have been married for going on three years and I'm not even positive where the DVDs are at the moment.
  • Options
    I was much more comfortable with the videographer bc he never told us to do anything. He just stayed int he background and I rarely noticed him. Our photog was constantly saying "go there", "do this" or "put your hands like this." The photog made me far more nervous than the videographer. Maybe bc I knew the video was just for us and it wasn't going to be on a wall or in the book for people to see. :)
    Yeah, I didn't notice they were there they blended in so well.  No staging (unless the light was horrible and he asked us to step one way or another) and since they were filming on DSLR cameras I forgot I was being filmed because it wasn't a "video camera".
  • Options

Grrr... I'm stuck in the box. I agree with this a million percent. The photographer was in my way and far more pushy than the videographer ever was.  He never said a word to us the entire time.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards