Wedding Invitations & Paper

Kids meal insert wording

FI and I are only inviting children of family and the wedding party to our ceremony and reception.  A kids meal is available for children under 12 at our reception site.  Since we are not inviting all children, we did not include the kids meal as an option on the RSVP card, so as to avoid confusion or hurt feelings.  I plan to include an insert in the invitations going to the family and wedding party members whose children we are inviting, informing them that a kids meal is available for their children.  By my count, there are 6 families this applies to.

I'm trying to figure out how to word the small insert to make it clear that the kids meal is an option for them but not make them feel forced to choose the kids meal if their child would prefer one of the other options.

Things I have come up with thus far for wording:

1. A chicken fingers children's meal is available.  Unless otherwise indicated on the RSVP card, guests under 12 will be served the children's meal.
(Is this too presumptuous?)

2. A chicken fingers children's meal is available for guests under 12.  Please indicate how many children's meals you would like on the RSVP card.
(No actual space to check children's meal, so would have to be hand written.)

3. Other suggestions?

Re: Kids meal insert wording

• I like option 2. People can then write it on their response card if they want that meal option and can indicate if their kid wants a grown-up meal.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Instead of including an insert I would just call up the parents of each kid since there are only 6 families that you need this information from and ask them what their kids would prefer, the kids meal or the adult meal choices.

• I'd just call them.  That's what I am doing, letting the couple of families that kids are invited (our immediate family only) know that kids choices are available if they want them. easier that way.
  • For 6 families following up on their RSVP card with a phone call is fine.

We did a different insert for families with children (similar to your plan).  The language was a little more casual, something along the lines of "A children's meal of 'X' is available for children under 12.  Children have the option of selecting the children's meal or adult meal, please indicate your preference on the RSVP card."

photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • April, I like your wording better.  Thanks.  I'll use that.

• jenni1221 said:
    I'd just call them.  That's what I am doing, letting the couple of families that kids are invited (our immediate family only) know that kids choices are available if they want them. easier that way.
    I think this option only works when there are only a few families to call.  If large numbers of kids are attending, calling all their parents may not be practical.

So calling might work for the OP, but not for other couples with many kids among their guests.
  • Have you cleared any possible pricing issues, with your venue? The reason why I ask this is for my sister's venue, guests 13+ were charged the full adult rate, even though they wouldn't be drinking any alcohol, over the 5-hour open bar. If a 8 or 10 year old insisted on ordering one of the 3 adult entrees, they would be charged the full adult rate, regardless. This was instrumental in the decision to have a 21+ wedding.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards