Not Engaged Yet

Tuesday questions!

I'm off to band in a bit :)  So here are some questions of a musical nature:

1.)  Who was your favorite artist in middle school?
2.)  Who was your favorite artist in high school?
3.)  What is "your song" with your SO?
4.)  Which instruments can you play, if any?  Voice counts, obviously :)
5.)  If you had to listen to one song forever, what song would drive you nuts?
6.)  Do you think the Biebs should stay in Canada?
7.)  Tell me a good musical story (I substituted middle schoolers yesterday, so "musical" basically means "farts" currently...lame)
I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton

Re: Tuesday questions!

• My answers!

1.)  Who was your favorite artist in middle school?  6th-7th grade was probably *NSYNC.  8th grade was The Offspring...totally influenced by a boy, yes.  He was very hot at the time but is now kinda weird, so I'm glad that didn't last.  I do still enjoy The Offspring.  Gone Away is my and FI's fav

2.)  Who was your favorite artist in high school?  I'm gonna guess Hilary Duff.  I love that chick.  Kelly Clarkson also wins (I assume she was HS) and Idina Menzel pulled into the forefront end of HS/college years.  I describe my type of music as "angsty break up music" for the most part, haha

3.)  What is "your song" with your SO?  We don't have one.  I need some suggestions.  So far for our first dance we have the following options: Once in a Lifetime by Keith Urban, Count on me by Bruno Mars, You and Me by Lifehouse, The One or Your Song by Elton John

4.)  Which instruments can you play, if any?  Voice counts, obviously :)  I started clarinet.  Then I added flute, baritone horn, trumpet, French horn, keyboard...I currently can play flute and French horn well.  I play French horn in stated band above.

5.)  If you had to listen to one song forever, what song would drive you nuts?  Beheaded by The Offspring would drive anyone nuts (although it is an excellent ironic song.)  I think Backwards by Rascal Flatts would kill me though.

6.)  Do you think the Biebs should stay in Canada?  I mainly just think it sucks to be a celebrity, but that he should have a bit more of a healthy respect for the law.  However, he's what? 20?  He has some time to straighten up I suppose.  But I do agree with the people that don't want him moving in next to them (in Atlanta?)

7.)  Tell me a good musical story (I substituted middle schoolers yesterday, so "musical" basically means "farts" currently...lame)  FI and I were practicing dancing the other day...and he made me trip and almost fall on our GLASS centerpieces that were on the floor.  So yea, we almost died practicing our first dance. lol, good thing we still have 1.5 months :)
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • edited February 2014

1.)  Who was your favorite artist in middle school?

I'm pretty sure I was still very much obsessed with BSB, Nsync, Brittney Spears when I was in 6th grade then it moved to punk rock/rock bands like Simple Plan, The Offspring, any of those.

I got into my major country stage and this is what I still listen to now next to Christian contemporary music.3.)  What is "your song" with your SO?

"We Got Us" by Canaan Smith

I played the trumpet in middle school and started learning piano and classical guitar but I can't play any of those now...maybe if I still practiced.

Blurred Lines...HATE HATE HATE!

I don't care honestly...he is supposedly moving to my hometown of ATL.
    7.)  Tell me a good musical story (I substituted middle schoolers yesterday, so "musical" basically means "farts" currently...lame)

I used to have my parents video tape me singing and dancing to all my favorite songs up until basically middle school and I had an outfit for each song. I wanted to be a Spice Girl.

• 1.) Who was your favorite artist in middle school?

I'm lame but I mostly listened to classical music growing up.  I loved Phantom of the Opera.

2.) Who was your favorite artist in high school?

Joni Mitchell. 
    3.) What is "your song" with your SO?

Harvest Moon - Neil Young.

4.) Which instruments can you play, if any? Voice counts, obviously :)

I used to sing opera so voice.  I also played the clarinet, bassoon, guitar, and piano.

5.) If you had to listen to one song forever, what song would drive you nuts?

I lived next to a person in college that always played that Kryptonite song by 3 Doors Down all the freaking time.  It did drive me nuts.

6.) Do you think the Biebs should stay in Canada?

No strong opinion here.

7.) Tell me a good musical story

I was in a musical in middle school where a girl had to sign a song about "How Lovely to be a Woman" (the gist of the song was isn't it great to be grown and have curves, etc.).  She was flat as a board with no hips so everyone found that amusing.  Ironically, a few years later in High School she got double DDs so she got the last word.

• 1.)  Who was your favorite artist in middle school? Weird Al Yankovic
    2.)  Who was your favorite artist in high school? Weird Al Yankovic. I am nothing if not consistent.
    3.)  What is "your song" with your SO? We don't have one.
    4.)  Which instruments can you play, if any?  Voice counts, obviously :)Piano, flute (badly), viola (very badly), tuba, and I sing (range from Tenor II - Soprano II).
    5.)  If you had to listen to one song forever, what song would drive you nuts? Pretty much anything Top 40. Grates on my nerves unless being parodied by Weird Al Yankovic ...
    6.)  Do you think the Biebs should stay in Canada? We lost the hockey game - don't we have to keep him now?
    7.)  Tell me a good musical story (I substituted middle schoolers yesterday, so "musical" basically means "farts" currently...lame) Like stage musicals or relating to music? Stage musicals ... I accompanied two musicals in high school (South Pacific and Little Shop of Horrors), and accompanying Jesus Christ Superstar is definitely on my bucket list. Music related ... I took private piano lessons for years and every year we played a Christmas recital. The Christmas recital tended to be a special level of torture. The problem with Christmas music is everyone knows it, so everyone is silently humming along, which means when little kids trip there's an unconscious wince that goes around the room. I got around that problem one year by picking a song no one up here knows or plays -- "Lo How a Rose E'er Blooming". One minor note: I did not know or play it either. So I just stumbled my way forward through the song, but when I got to the part where it briefly quoted "Away in a Manger" I am proud to say I was rock solid. The other really good one I have isn't about me, it's about my brother. We also played competitive piano (I still have no idea how that actually worked - ostensibly you were judged against the music and your ability to play it), and his first year he had a lift in his hands where he had to move their position on the keyboard. He put his hands down on the wrong keys and over two measures he transposed his way back to the correct ending chord. He never changed colors, stood up, bowed, went back to sit by our mom, leaned over, and whispered "Do you think the judge noticed?"
  • 1.)  Who was your favorite artist in middle school?  Guns N Roses

2.)  Who was your favorite artist in high school?  Bob Dylan (still is)

3.)  What is "your song" with your SO? We don't really have one.  However we do love to annoy each other when 'Sweet Caroline' comes on.

4.)  Which instruments can you play, if any?  Voice counts, obviously :) -  I tried guitar, I don't have the patience though.

5.)  If you had to listen to one song forever, what song would drive you nuts?  Just about any children's song.  I'm not a fan of most of 'today's tween' music.

6.)  Do you think the Biebs should stay in Canada?  Yes! 

7.)  Tell me a good musical story (I substituted middle schoolers yesterday, so "musical" basically means "farts" currently...lame) - I went to a Counting Crows/Wallflowers concert.  Adam Duritz was out signing autographs.  I asked the person I was with 'who is that over there?' (I was there for Wallflowers) and he said 'who is what?' and I repeated 'who is that over there?' and he said 'huh?' so I shouted 'who is that over there?!' and I got the dirtiest look in the world from Adam Duritz, but still got his autograph.

Anniversary
  • 1.) Who was your favorite artist in middle school? I don't remember anymore. :( I listened to everything.
    2.) Who was your favorite artist in high school? Maybe Greenday? I didn't have aband I followed consistently.
    3.) What is "your song" with your SO? We don't have a special song really. We've talked a little bit about it and I think we're going to dance to "Across the Universe" for our first dance. I can't decide if I want to dance to the orginal Beatles version or Fiona Apple's cover though. I like both versions a lot.
    4.) Which instruments can you play, if any? Voice counts, obviously :)I've played trumpet since 4th grade. I can get through FI's beginnger's piano book but I still struggle playing two parts at the same time. I never learned how to read the bass clef so I have a harder time figuring it out. A distant cousin taught me to play a couple of songs on the cello in college as a project for one of her music education courses.
    5.) If you had to listen to one song forever, what song would drive you nuts? I agree with @southernpeach89 ... Blurred Lines really irritates me...both the words and the beat.
    6.) Do you think the Biebs should stay in Canada? Mostly I just don't want him in Atlanta bringing a negative spotlight down on our area.
    7.) Tell me a good musical story (I substituted middle schoolers yesterday, so "musical" basically means "farts" currently...lame) Hmmmm....I might come back to this later. I don't have one that comes to mind right now.

• 1.) Who was your favorite artist in middle school? Madonna
    2.) Who was your favorite artist in high school?Madonna
    3.) What is "your song" with your SO? we don't have one
    4.) Which instruments can you play, if any? Voice counts, obviously :) I can sing
    5.) If you had to listen to one song forever, what song would drive you nuts? I don't know most songs on the radio today drive me nuts
    6.) Do you think the Biebs should stay in Canada? YES!!!!!
    7.) Tell me a good musical story (I substituted middle schoolers yesterday, so "musical" basically means "farts" currently...lame) not sure I have one

Anniversary

• 1.)  Who was your favorite artist in middle school?

Haha. So this was the point when my parents finally started letting me listen to something other than Christian/Gospel, so I only had, like, five CDs or so that I played over and over again. I think my top three were Avril Lavigne, Vanessa Carlton, and Lifehouse.

In high school I was kinda-sorta in the theatre crowd, so mostly I listened to songs from musicals. Yep.

N/A

Haha, so I played the trumpet in elementary school, but I didn't really have the lungs for it. Because I don't learn my lesson, I took voice lessons very briefly last year because I have always wanted to learn to sing, but they were wayyyyy too expensive with nursing school on the horizon, so I quit. When I graduate I hope to try that again. If it turns out I irreparably suck at singing (or even if I don't), I want to learn the piano and maybe a less "typical" instrument - perhaps the fiddle? The harp? The dulcimer? I'm not sure yet.

I think any song would drive me nuts if it's all I could listen to forever.

I'm so meh about the Biebs. I don't even care.

7.)  Tell me a good musical story.

I walked into my house the other day to see my (very very divorced) parents watching old home movies and laughing and reminiscing together, and they showed me the part in one of my band concerts in 5th grade where my crush, who also played the trumpet, was whispering in my ear instead of playing his part. That's all I got.

Blink-182

Blink-182 still

Kiss Me by Ed Sheeran. It will be our first dance song at our wedding

I can sing, I can play the harmonica a bit, and I was briefly taught the guitar but i've probably forgotten the chords by now.

Call Me Maybe. I despise that song.

PLEASE

I went to Warped Tour one year while I was in high school.  I had on a Floggin Molly t-shirt because I was really in to them but had no idea what they looked like.  I was sitting on the ground, minding my own business when this red-headed older guy came over to me and started talking. I was like, "who is this old guy and why is he talking to me". I was probably a little short with him.  I ran into my cousin there that day and he had just bought Flogging Molly's cd and had them sign it. He showed me it...the old red-headed guy who talked to me was the lead singer of Flogging Molly and came over and talked to me because I had a Flogging Molly shirt on!
    Anniversary

• @TwoDimes - I met Rascal Flatts once.  They were as cool in person as they seem on TV/Radio.  Even got a kiss on the check from the lead singer who called me beautiful (which turned me bright red).
  • 1.)  Who was your favorite artist in middle school? Hmmm, I can't remember. Probably a lot of Top 40 stuff or whatever my older cousins listened to (I remember a lot of Taylor Dane)

2.)  Who was your favorite artist in high school? Jimmy Buffett, Grateful Dead, Barenaked Ladies, Notorious BIG, Tupac, L'il Kim.

3.)  What is "your song" with your SO? We don't have a song!!!! We have a few ideas for first dance songs but that could change.

4.)  Which instruments can you play, if any?  Voice counts, obviously :) I played piano for 10 years.

5.)  If you had to listen to one song forever, what song would drive you nuts? Anything by Bruno Mars.

6.)  Do you think the Biebs should stay in Canada? YES

7.)  Tell me a good musical story (I substituted middle schoolers yesterday, so "musical" basically means "farts" currently...lame) Um, well I'm not really into musicals so I'll just go with general music stuff. I am such a big Barenaked Ladies fan that I went on three cruises with them. It was amazing, some of the best vacations I've had in my life.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • csousa1csousa1 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited February 2014

1.)  Who was your favorite artist in middle school? I was never all that crazy about NSYNC or Backstreet Boys but I'm pretty sure I was pretending to be in middle school. In reality I was all about Alanis Morissette.

2.)  Who was your favorite artist in high school? I had a major Greenday kick in high school.

3.)  What is "your song" with your SO? No SO currently, but past ones have been Float On by Modest Mouse and Sex on Fire by Kings of Leon. I'm so romantic, I know.

4.)  Which instruments can you play, if any?  I have a pretty decent voice, and I bet I could still rock the shit out of Hot Cross Buns on a recorder.

5.)  If you had to listen to one song forever, what song would drive you nuts? ANYTHING country and most pop, pretty much.

6.)  Do you think the Biebs should stay in Canada? I think Justin Bieber should be propelled into space and left to his own devices.

7.)  Tell me a good musical story. This one time, at band camp...

• 1.) Who was your favorite artist in middle school? I don't remember really. I do remember painting my room to Madonna's Ray of Light CD though!

2.) Who was your favorite artist in high school? Linkin Park & Lifehouse

3.) What is "your song" with your SO? We don't really have a song, but we danced to Rascal Flatts "Bless the Broken Road" at our wedding and I guess that's sort of become our song.

4.) Which instruments can you play, if any? Voice counts, obviously :) I used to take piano and voice lessons...It's been years though. I played the violin when I was very young too.

5.) If you had to listen to one song forever, what song would drive you nuts? Anything overly repetative. I get really annoyed with the same thing over and over. In fact, I hate H's night time noisemaker...even though it's rainforest or ocean or whatever, I can hear it cycle through and it keeps me awake.

6.) Do you think the Biebs should stay in Canada? I don't care.

7.) Tell me a good musical story (I substituted middle schoolers yesterday, so "musical" basically means "farts" currently...lame) I don't really have a story, but I played Cinderella in "Into the Woods" and Maria in "Sound of Music" in high school. Fun times.

• @southernpeach89 I knew we were meant to be besties - just LOOK at our musical preference progressions, haha

@lmhollister I basically can't play both hands on the keyboard if I'm sightreading (at least not with any type of speed, haha)  I still try to read both lines separately and it really slows me down :)

@clogreeneyes embrace your inner musical self.  My dad and I are dancing to a compilation of songs from Mamma Mia lol, at least that was what I heard last I talked to him.

@csousa1 man you even remember old songs with SOs?!  Because FI & I don't even have one! haha, you are way better at this than me :)
  • @allusive007 wow you got to perform such great musicals!

I guess another random musical add- In twenty years I've done over 50 musicals and plays...

Anniversary

• @Blue & White- Bahahaha! I didn't even notice that when I first read everything! Too funny! I'm still a lover for the boy bands  but my interest in the Offspring and such has dwindled since.
  • @peaseblossom55 - over 50! That's impressive! I was definitly not an actress, but there were so few thespian singers that they took me on. It was a lot of fun. I really enjoyed Into the Woods. We had an amazing gal that played the witch...she was FANTASTIC!
  • 1.)  Who was your favorite artist in middle school? Barenaked Ladies
    2.)  Who was your favorite artist in high school? Tie between Goo Goo Dolls and Lifehouse
    3.)  What is "your song" with your SO? We have two! Falling Slowly and Love Me Madly
    4.)  Which instruments can you play, if any?  Voice counts, obviously :)I play flute and piccolo. Gonna BRAG for a bit: while I was only ever okay at flute, I could have played piccolo professionally. Well, except no one is going to hire a piccolo player who can't play flute well enough, but whatever.
    5.)  If you had to listen to one song forever, what song would drive you nuts? That "Fire at the Disco" song.
    6.)  Do you think the Biebs should stay in Canada? Nah.
    7.)  Tell me a good musical story (I substituted middle schoolers yesterday, so "musical" basically means "farts" currently...lame) Hmmm. When I was in 4th grade, I joked about using my flute as a baseball bat. Ended up hitting a metal folding chair by accident RIGHT as our band director walked in.

I was on tour in Italy with a wind ensemble in high school. The wind ensemble was Greater Boston-based, but our (TOTALLY AMAZING) conductor was from Western MA and had grown up in NY, so he was a Yankees fan. We spent the entire trip plotting to get a picture of him in a Sox cap. We managed to do it twice. One of our tuba players was this immensely tall football player, so we staged a couple of photos where he would be walking behind our conductor to drop the hat on him at the moment we were talking the picture. We did it twice because we weren't sure we got the timing right the first time.

The following fall, the Sox were in the playoffs (again; it was 2004), and we had rehearsal during game 3 of the ALDS. Our assistant conductor was a HUGE Sox fan, and in the age before smartphones, he was texting with a friend during rehearsal to get updates about the game. He'd then signal/whisper/wildly gesticulate to particular students, who would then disseminate the info to the rest of the ensemble what was going on. Our conductor eventually stopped rehearsal and was like, "Look, okay, I'm not going to win here, so how are the Sox doing?"

Senior year of high school, I was lead flute/picc in pit for West Side Story. Conductor was an asshat who wouldn't let me into pit orchestra because of a personal grudge, and he caved because my parents wrote a letter to the principal. He claimed that he caved because the two flutists he picked (who were both younger, less experienced players) couldn't play piccolo (shockingly, Bernstein had en extensive piccolo part. Who could have guessed?). I ended up with flute 1 because it was also the most picc-heavy flute part (YAY) ... but what we didn't realize at first was that the other two flute parts also had picc parts. And that ALL THREE parts had us on high register picc at the same time during "America." So I had to teach two people how to play piccolo, and then how to play in tune during "America" when we were in the highest register. Good news: It worked!

(For those of you who aren't familiar with musical pit orchestras, most scores have reed parts. Reed parts are written for multiple woodwind instruments, and you're supposed to hire people for pit who play all of those instruments. So a reed part will be something like ... for this song, you play flute, and for this one you play saxophone, and for this one, you play clarinet except for this section, where you play oboe. At our school, one student was the pit librarian, and he or she would have to make photocopies of all the reed books and put together individual instrument parts. So my "flute 1" part was a binder with just the flute and piccolo sections from reed 1.)
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • @phira 1- go yankees.  2 - oh god, 3 piccolos in tune?!  I thought that wasn't possible :)
  • lightningsnowlightningsnow member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited February 2014
    I'm new around here but I'll play.

1.) Who was your favorite artist in middle school? NSYNC. It was pretty bad how obsessed I was.
    2.) Who was your favorite artist in high school? Fall Out Boy and Simple Plan. Both bands got me through the tough times
    3.) What is "your song" with your SO? We have several but the one that really sits with me is "God Gave Me You" by Blake Shelton
    4.) Which instruments can you play, if any? Voice counts, obviously :) Used to play the flute from middle school to junior high. My high school didn't have a band so I couldn't continue. I do believe I have a good singing voice though.
    5.) If you had to listen to one song forever, what song would drive you nuts? The damn jingle from that new Subway commercial for the Fritos sub. It gets stuck in my head already.
    6.) Do you think the Biebs should stay in Canada? I say we sent him to the moon.
    7.) Tell me a good musical story (I substituted middle schoolers yesterday, so "musical" basically means "farts" currently...lame) I'm not sure if anyone would classify this as good but I've learned from three separate occasions at concerts not to be on the floor. First concert nearly got trampled when the main band took the stage and everyone started jumping, second concert people were pushing badly during one of the acts and the crowd literally collapsed, like a damn meteor hit and the third concert I was being pushed against the metal security railing. Needless to say I don't go on the floor anymore.
    Formerly known as bubbles053009

• @allusive007 Into The Woods is one of my favorite shows Cinderella is such a great role

Anniversary

• @southernpeach89 I knew we were meant to be besties - just LOOK at our musical preference progressions, haha

@lmhollister I basically can't play both hands on the keyboard if I'm sightreading (at least not with any type of speed, haha)  I still try to read both lines separately and it really slows me down :)

@clogreeneyes embrace your inner musical self.  My dad and I are dancing to a compilation of songs from Mamma Mia lol, at least that was what I heard last I talked to him.

@csousa1 man you even remember old songs with SOs?!  Because FI & I don't even have one! haha, you are way better at this than me :)

@Blue & White  - It's easy enough remember a song when you actually have one, especially if those were more a joke than anything haha. Both songs are more memorable than most of either relationship.
  • @Blue I wouldn't have thought it was possible, even with three accomplished picc players. To this day, I have no idea how I managed to do it. If I was going to have a magic power, I wish it had been more useful.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
    Backstreet Boys and Britney Spears 

Pretty much the same as above but I also started liking rap so add Ja Rule into that list as well lol 

We don't have a set song but Bruce and Fleetwood Mac are our "things"

None. I played the trombone for a few years though. 

Probably any song that I'd have to listen to forever.

I don't really have a preference one way or the other. 

I don't really have one. When I think of musical, I think of Broadway so I'll just go with: my first show ever was Cats which is still my favorite and Wicked is a close second. 

• @swazzle Love love love Wicked.  My dad was so funny when he went with me and my mom for my bday.  So much girliness, but obviously the music was amazing so he was in love.  I think my favorite is Rent.  And I also love Mamma Mia.  Making a day out of seeing a musical is the one thing I miss the most about living in Jersey.  I really really really have to plan for a musical these days...
    I loved Avril Lavigne in middle school

I don't really remember having a favorite, I guess I really liked Sick Puppies in High School.

Gonna Be (500 Miles) by the Proclaimers

4.)  Which instruments can you play, if any? 
    I played both flute and piano

I have to go with @swazzle on this one - any song would drive me nuts if I had to listen to it forever!

Yup. I thought he was alright at first, didn't like his music but whatever. Now he's a total ass and I just want him to go away.

7.)  Tell me a good musical story 
    Hmm...I don't know if I really have a story.

NSync, their CD was on repeat almost always.
    Hmm Probably Staind. I went through a rock phase in HS
    Eric Clapton's - Wonderful Tonight. It kept coming on Pandora while we were at the beach for my birthday when we had been dating for only 3 months and that's the trip we really fell in love and it's since become "our song"
    I played clarinet in Middle School. I was 1st Chair All County and high schools tried to recruit me. But being a cheerleader I was "too cool" for band in high school so I gave it up. I regret it. 
    I'm with @Swazzle - Whatever song I'd have to listen to forever!
    Ugh, I wish he'd just disappear out of the news. I don't care where he is, I just hate him setting such a bad example. 
    7.)  Tell me a good musical story (I substituted middle schoolers yesterday, so "musical" basically means "farts" currently…lame)
    I've got nothing. Other than the story mentioned in #4 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Also, Wicked was Wicked Awesome… I got to see it for the first time with the Ahmazing @csousa1 when we were in NYC to see @Swazzle. I love love LOVE it! 

I honestly don't remember. I was in middle school a LONG time ago. Garth Brooks, perhaps? 

I had - and still have - very eclectic tastes. Dave Matthews Band was definitely up there, as was Jay-Z, Alanis Morrissette, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, NIN... you name it, I probably went through a phase of it. 

We don't have one. I adore "Snow Outside" by DMB though - if I had to choose, that would be it.

None. And no one wants to hear my voice.  

Probably any song that I'd have to listen to forever. <-- I'm just leaving @swazzle's response, because I agree with that.

I think anywhere without cameras/paparazzi would be a good start. 

I can still sing "50 Nifty" and the Maine Counties song from 5th grade chorus.  

*******************************************************************************************

• @Blue I really liked Mama Mia, too! I haven't seen Rent. The last show I went to was Avenue Q which was really hysterical. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards