Wedding Woes

Is this really a thing?

My SIL's ex-husband's sister just posted that she is having an ultrasound at her shower. Knowing her, there are going to be a shit ton of people at the shower. I can't imagine sitting around with like 60 people staring at my bare stomach to look at my unborn child. Is this weird, or is it just me?

Re: Is this really a thing?

• That's totally weird.  And I've never heard of it. 

Your SIL sounds a little crazy and AW-y.  

I guess this is the new gender reveal thing?  I think a cake is a better idea.  The balloons in the box is OK, but with cake, everyone wins. 
  • Jesus wept.

No. Just no.

• Well she's past the point of having her anatomy scan, so I am assuming everything is okay. I am also assuming there is nothing diagnostic about it. It's just weird.
  • This is definitely weird. Who in their right mind told her this was a good idea?
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• That's really AWish. I think a pic of the ultrasound is more than enough. The process of ultrasounding is not that exciting lol. 
  • That is weird.

And ultrasounds aren't toys.
    (I mean...they ARE entertaining.  I joked repeatedly that the only 'perk' of going to the hospital extra times = extra US pics.  But they're not JUST toys.)  The odds of bad news @ a shower are slim, but still to damn high for me to think it'd be 'fun' to have happen there
  • Someone, somewhere, bought a 3D ultrasound, couldn't get a rental space, and realized they could pack it up and take it places. They are now pushing it for things like this and finding AW's to get ultrasounds done wherever, whenever and they will likely make tons of money.

And they will freak out my patients who will come running to me because the not quite professional by a mile saw something that they think means something and then we have to repeat it again.

I hate this whole ultrasound at the mall thing.
  • Yes, this is a thing.  There is an ultrasound place here that is just for funsies.  And you can purchase a shower package.  They set everything up and decorate and throw you a shower for a certain amount of people and then they all get to watch you have an ultrasound.

And yes, it's weird.
  • US are entertaining - and not just the baby ones. My OBGYN's in-house US tech is pretty awesome. She knows that I'm interested, so she always give me more detail than normal/she should. I like to play "guess the size of the cyst."
  • Uhm...are her guests being warned about this? Because if I were a guest, I'd want to know so I could decline.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • I'm really surprised that this is a thing. Ultrasounds are expensive as hell. I can't imagine people buying one so they can go around to showers with it??? wtf?
  • Uhm...are her guests being warned about this? Because if I were a guest, I'd want to know so I could decline.

Oh, you mean it's insensitive to people with infertility or pregnancy loss? Oh well! It's her special day and if you don't show it is an affront to her. It did take her two years to get pregnant so everyone should be overjoyed.

These people (her and her parents and my SIL's ex-h) are HUGE AW's. Huge. 
  • VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2014
    I'm not either of those groups and I still don't want to see an U/S of your baby.  Honestly, is anyone except the family ever excited by U/S pics?  I'm never am able to see the danged thing, even when the arrows are on it.  "Oh, that's the feet!" Okay, looks like just another static field to me, but whatever.  Then the person showing you gets all butthurt or insistent that you look until you see it, like it's one of those Magic Eyes posters or something.  Now, I just pretend I see it and smile and nod.  I sure as hell don't need to live through a live one.
  • there's also a certain amount of "EWWW" squick factor to some people w/ ultrasounds.  I mean, I'm seeing the inside of someone's uterus.  And a jelly-covered belly.  ew.
    (I say that w/ all love for ultrasound pictures of people I like and veiled annoyance at people I don't like who show them to me :-P)
  • Since I stole her future baby's spot at daycare I'm not invited. So I don't have to worry about seeing that nonsense.
  • It was fun to see my own u/s but I don't want to see anyone else's.  I generally have a hard time seeing things.  Except with Max.  It's a good thing we wanted to know sex, because there was no denying it after 2 seconds.
  • PMeg819 said:
    Uhm...are her guests being warned about this? Because if I were a guest, I'd want to know so I could decline.

Oh, you mean it's insensitive to people with infertility or pregnancy loss? Oh well! It's her special day and if you don't show it is an affront to her. It did take her two years to get pregnant so everyone should be overjoyed.

What?

Also, this coupled with being uninvited makes me stabby for you.

You're probably over it by now, due to knowing the family, but I will still slap-a-ho for you.
  • So a little gossipy random stuff: SIL finally left her husband. She moved in to an apartment I want to say in the beginning of January. They alternate taking the kids every few days and since we use the same daycare it is tres awkward when I run into her husband at pick up time. I guess he is only finally realizing that she is not coming back. She is apparently trying to sell her wedding rings for a boob job. They sold their house, but her ex has no place ot live so he's got 30 days to figure it out. I bet he lives with his parents. She is going to get reamed in the divorce because her husband works for his family's construction company and they are shady and pay him under the table. So his W-2 shows he makes like nothing but he gets compensated in other ways, but none that she can use as proof of income. As for the shower thing- I'm not sad. I came to daycare pick up and ex-husband's sister was there asking our daycare lady if she could bring her baby there in  the summer after her maternity leave. She said no because DD was starting and she won't take more than two babies (there is a 6 month old boy there already). Daycare lady told me this part. Anyways, as I'm coming and they are leaving I overhead ex-SIL say something to the effect of "it's not fair, she should let me have a spot". Too bad bitch, I reserved my spot the second I found out I was pregnant (I did, daycare was like second to know after DH because I wanted DD there and she is very limited in how many kids she takes).

So that is that.
  • My brain has decided this ish isn't possible, so I am rejecting it.  Nope.....NO WAY.

*whistles out of post*
  • LondonLisaLondonLisa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2014
    I hope the invitation reads: "Come eat snacks whilst you look at my uterus! Don't forget to buy me things!"
  • PMeg819 said:
    Uhm...are her guests being warned about this? Because if I were a guest, I'd want to know so I could decline.

Yeah, for that reason, and because it would make me profoundly uncomfortable, and because, I'm sorry, I'm not terribly interested in the conception or gestation of your child. Show me the kid when it pops out, please, not before.

But mostly because I believe in full disclosure for events when things are happening that aren't normal for those events.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • PMeg819 said:
     She is apparently trying to sell her wedding rings for a boob job. 
    priorities.
  • PMeg819 said:
     She is apparently trying to sell her wedding rings for a boob job. 
    priorities.
    Her kids seriously need therapy to help deal/process the divorce and this is what she&'so using her money on. DH talks to his family (other than his mother and 2 brothers) like every 3 months because of shit like this. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards