Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

So I want to ask if I need to have a maid of honor?

I have a sister but I feel that we don't have a special bond and I don't want to pick none of my girl cousins because they would get offended so I rather not have a maid of honor. Is that required in a wedding? I don't even want to have bridesmaids either because I don't want to have problems and it's 2 much hassle.

Re: So I want to ask if I need to have a maid of honor?

• Ok thank you so much.
  • i don't have one!   I have 3 bridesmaids, but no maid of honor.   you can do whatever you want!  
  • I had 2 bridesmaids and no maid of honor.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • No bridal party here. My sister would've thrown a hissy fit had I chosen anyone but her for the MOH spot (and I can't stand her drama) and our wedding is small to begin with so we didn't see the sense in even having a whole bridal party. We each have one sister and they will be our witnesses when we sign our marriage license but that's it.
  • JennyColadaJennyColada member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2014
    I am not having a wedding party at all.
  • There's no need for a wedding party at all.  As long as there are enough adults present beside yourself, your FI, and your officiant to act as witnesses on your marriage license, that's all you need.
  • Nope, not needed. To avoid drama for mine, I have 2 MOHs (both my sister's). Having a wedding party is optional. You just need to make sure you have people to sign marriage license as witnesses, since that's usually MOH & BM. I still haven't decided which MOH should sign as my witness. I'm actually debating having both our mothers sign instead, since we are both close to them and I know they would appreciate that honor. I think it would mean more to our mom's than it would to our wedding party anyway.

• That's true. Thank you so much for the replies.
  • I'm having three bridesmaids and a bridesman, but no Maid/Man of Honour. My FI is having two bridesmaids and two bridesmen, and she's not having a MOH either. With us it's because we didn't want to have to pick between either of our best friends, or between our siblings (we both have two of each). We're having the MOBs as our witnesses.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • No, it's not required.  I might not have one either.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards