Jewish Weddings

Rabbi for Saturday Evening Ceremony Needed

I really want a Saturday evening ceremony prior to sunset, though I'm starting to get the feeling that I"m going to have difficulty finding a Rabbi to officiate. As recommended in another post, I have checked out interfaithfamilies.com, though even that website said that they might have difficulty finding a Rabbi or Cantor to officiate. Does anyone know of a Rabbi in the northern NJ/NYC metro area who may be able to officiate a Saturday evening ceremony before sunset?

Thanks!

Re: Rabbi for Saturday Evening Ceremony Needed

• edited December 2011
    try rabbi aryeh alpern. he lives in saratoga but travels all over, and i know he often travels to NYC. he will most certainly do saturday nights, as he is going this for my wedding in october. 

he can be contacted at:

rabbialpern@aol.com

or 
     KATickmanA@aol.com

if you choose to contact him, please let him know that lynnie referred you. 

thanks!
    http://www.mywedding.com/lynnieandandy
    october '10 siggy: Early Pic of me and FI (not the first.....)
    imageVisit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • abernstein76abernstein76 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Lynnie- You are my hero! :) Thank you so much...Quick question. Can I assume that this is a reform Rabbi? Both my FI and I are reform, and would like to have a Jewish ceremony, but do not want to participate in some of the very religious traditions that I've been reading about...
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would say that he is probably unaffiliated, but not likely to object to your avoiding the "very religious traditions."  See his site.
  • edited December 2011
    his congregation is particularly for interfaith couples, though he is happy to do reform style or anything custom that you want (which is what he is doing for us, and we are actually interfaith) 

he was ordained conservative originally, i believe. 

but for more info, just contact him. he is very nice. 
    http://www.mywedding.com/lynnieandandy
    october '10 siggy: Early Pic of me and FI (not the first.....)
    imageVisit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Judy35Judy35 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Believe it or not, in order to get Rabbi Aryeh Alpern to do your service, you have to become a MEMBER of his synagogue.... which is about $1,600 I believe.  I was shocked when I found this out that a rabbi would charge a young couple sooooo much, especially when they are not living locally but want to get married by a rabbi.  Most clergy just ask for a donation or a fee well below what Rabbi Alpern charges. 
    The Rabbis Sugarman, Anna and her husband,  charge $875.  Ask for Anna.

Think of it as a service as you would paying for a band or caterer.
  • abernstein76abernstein76 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi All-

Thanks for all the help, but I actually was speaking with my old boss two weeks back, and he recommended the Rabbi he used when he got married, who I spoke with, and he was very nice, and helpful, and flexible. And the best part was that he charges only $650 which was quite a shock (in a plesant way)!

Again, thanks for the advice!
  • hi - i am facing the same dilemma! can you please share your rabbi's info - i would greatly appreciate it!!! thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards