Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

How the WP will arrive at the church outdoors

Ok, so we are getting married at an old "Abandoned" church. It's an old homestead thing, my FI's grandmother's family all went there until the 70's. We keep it clean, painted and it's a very cute little church. We are getting married on the front steps. But the positioning of the church and road leave a little issue. 
Here's a picture of the actual church, and where the seats and such will be. I apologize for the crudeness of it, it's a rough design but it's just to illustrate.

So thats how the seats will be placed, the arched sections are where bales of hay will be placed for other seats, some of them look like they will be to far, I know but again that is a very rough design yet. There will be 70 chairs and the rest of the seats will be bales. 

But my problem is that I have no idea how to enter for my walk down the aisle, or my BMs and flower girl, ring barer etc. The road leads up to where the parking will be in the pasture to the north, but seeing as my FI won't have seen me, I don't want to make an entrance to the side of the church and have everyone craning to see the processional make their way. It's a bit of walk. 
We have tossed around ideas like driving up and parking a ways from the seats, then walking up from the trucks but... a little tacky. 
Also, doing the same but having some sort of screen so they can't see us walking and the vehicles aren't in the picture, which gives us a bit of time to get my dress in place etc. 

I have no idea how to approach the issue really. Thought about turning the whole thing around, and entering from the Church, but then it wouldn't be in the background, and we took engagement pictures on the steps assuming we could re-create the moment at the wedding. I just don't know. 

Help?

Edited for picture issues

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: How the WP will arrive at the church outdoors

• I think your two options are either to flip the ceremony site around (i.e. enter from the Church) or drive closer to the site and park behind some sort of a panel (depending on the style of your wedding style, you could use old doors or window panes to create a nice "shield"). 
  • McCMalMcCMal member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited February 2014
    I planned on doing set of open, free standing doors at the start of the aisle, for decoration purposes mainly, but it could be changed so it could closed and then opened when the processional started I suppose. Panels coming off both sides of the doors might be an option to hide more of what would be behind the ceremony, if weather cooperates. (It gets windy here). 
    What sort of material or options would there be to make a somewhat large set of panels? It wouldn't require the whole length of the seats, maybe 10-15 feet possibly... Just enough to shield the WP from the groom. It's also a bit of a hill behind the ceremony, so if we park far enough the trucks could be somewhat hidden. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Unfortunately I think the trucks will be seen unless they're parked behind the panel (and it's large enough to hide it) or the panels run the entire length of where the guests are seated (otherwise some guests will see you walking from the truck to the panel). 

I think your solution is to be ok with the fact that guests will see the trucks (the bridesmaids could be dropped off at the panel and then the truck can leave right away). 

As for the panel itself, I think you're right that it will be about 10-15 (maybe more 15 depending on how many people will be "hiding" behind it). I love the idea of door panels, but I wouldn't have them open and close; bridesmaids could come out from either side, maybe alternating; and then you can come out from one side, your father/mother from the other (if you're being accompanied), you both pause at the front of the panels to hold arms (good photo op!) and you walk down the aisle.

If the doors don't open and close, you could use a series of door panels. To secure them, you'll probably need to use multiple cement blocks. You could put them along the front and back of the panel where two doors touch (those points will be "weak" spots in your wall). Depending on your budget, you could decorate the panel with flower arrangements or even some material (search pinterest!). 

• I don't know if I could come up with quite that many doors to make the panels out of. I was thinking of some sort of frame and hanging canvas or semi thick fabric from it, securing it to the ground somehow. I don't know what the wind will be, and I don't want doors falling on guests. I think using doors as a panel is adorable, because I'm using doors as backdrops for our 'photo booth' and behind us at the WP table. 
    The idea of coming from each side separately with the doors open is awesome. I love it. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I really like your idea of the frames and canvas!! Definitely find a way to secure them to the ground, though!! Maybe you could have two door panels in the middle surrounded by frames and canvas on either side to get the size you need (the frames could be as large as the doors if you wanted, it would just cost a bit of extra money in materials)!!

You're making me wish I was having an outdoor wedding lol (ours is an indoor winter wedding).

Good luck!!!

• (Also, I just found this. Check out the picture with the doorframe; I wouldn't have a clue where to find one, but it's kind of amazing: http://www.stonefieldsheritagefarm.ca/gallery/66/)

• (Also, I just found this. Check out the picture with the doorframe; I wouldn't have a clue where to find one, but it's kind of amazing: http://www.stonefieldsheritagefarm.ca/gallery/66/)

That is gorgeous. Thank you!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Are you going to wrap the bales of hay in some sort of fabric?  Please do because I don't know many women who want to sit on poking hay when they are in a sundress.

As for how to get everyone to the aisle.  Have you thought about renting golf carts?  They would be smaller, less conspicuous and quieter then trucks.

• Are you going to wrap the bales of hay in some sort of fabric?  Please do because I don't know many women who want to sit on poking hay when they are in a sundress.

As for how to get everyone to the aisle.  Have you thought about renting golf carts?  They would be smaller, less conspicuous and quieter then trucks.
    Not only that but many people are allergic to hay, and even if you are not, it is very irritating to the skin.  I board a horse, and whenever I help the barn owners stack hay in the hay loft my skin always get scratched up and red and itchy after a while.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

I'd still be posed with the same issue, of people seeing us as we kind of go around the crowd. We aren't going to see each other the day of, and I kind of want the first look to be of my dad and I coming down the aisle, not us cruising up on a golf cart. There's just no way to get to the church off the main road unless you come from behind it at the gate. 

And yes, we are doing like square quilts just big enough to cover the hay, canvas on the bottom and something pretty on the top. They will be oat bales, since we're growing oats this year. So it's a little milder than alfalfa. His mom will feed them to the horses afterwards. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • And the ceremony will be about, 10-20 minuets. And there will be wooden chairs from the church for those who need them. About 70-80 chairs and there are 244 invited guests. Out of what we know about people who know are/aren't coming (Obviously plans can change), we're expecting 150-175 people. 

It's a budget wedding, so we can't afford 3$ a chair to rent really... We're using what we know we'll have. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • McCMal said:
    Are you going to wrap the bales of hay in some sort of fabric?  Please do because I don't know many women who want to sit on poking hay when they are in a sundress.

I'd still be posed with the same issue, of people seeing us as we kind of go around the crowd. We aren't going to see each other the day of, and I kind of want the first look to be of my dad and I coming down the aisle, not us cruising up on a golf cart. There's just no way to get to the church off the main road unless you come from behind it at the gate. 

And yes, we are doing like square quilts just big enough to cover the hay, canvas on the bottom and something pretty on the top. They will be oat bales, since we're growing oats this year. So it's a little milder than alfalfa. His mom will feed them to the horses afterwards. 
    I think unless you plan to construct walls around the entire ceremony space there really is no way to keep yourself hidden from view.  This is just something that you have to come to terms with when you pick such a wide open/secluded venue.

• "We aren't going to see each other the day of, and I kind of want the first look to be of my dad and I coming down the aisle, not us cruising up on a golf cart. There's just no way to get to the church off the main road unless you come from behind it at the gate."

If that's your main issue, your fi could wait inside the church until your wedding party is lined up and ready to head down the aisle. The officiant could cue him when everything is ready. 

• Do you have a backup plan in case of rain or some other type of bad weather.
  • @Mariepoppy That is actually a good idea, even if we do the whole panel thing, just so there's no chance of seeing me. 

@kmmssg Yes, the church will fit up to 200 people, albeit a little cramped, but for a 10 minute ceremony, I think people will forgive us. If it's really, really bad we will get married at the reception hall, in the dance hall part. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited March 2014
    Sometimes the simple solution is the best. 

I wouldn't worry about screening. While your fi is waiting for you in the church, your guests will be talking quietly with each other.But, if you're concerned about the guest seeing you, angle the chair set up so that their backs will be (sort of)  toward the truck entrance. Also, keep in mind the position of the sun so your guests won't be blinded by it. 

• Yes, the sun... the sun goes down around 8 in august. The sun sets behind the church in the summer, so we've figured that hopefully 5 is early enough that it won't be directly in their eyes, but if we have to flip the ceremony around as suggested, we can. It's not ideal, but it's better than asking everyone to squint into the sun. We wont know until we get closer. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • McCMal said:
    @Mariepoppy That is actually a good idea, even if we do the whole panel thing, just so there's no chance of seeing me. 

@kmmssg Yes, the church will fit up to 200 people, albeit a little cramped, but for a 10 minute ceremony, I think people will forgive us. If it's really, really bad we will get married at the reception hall, in the dance hall part. 
    Glad to hear you have a backup plan.  I do want to share one more thing to think about - I am guessing the church has no air conditioning.  If you stuff 200 people in a space that is going to be cramped, the temp will go up exponentially and it won't be pretty.  Keep in mind you won't be in there for 10 minutes.  People will come 15-20 minutes early, 10 more minutes for the wedding (if you don't run late, and be honest sometimes it happens), and then a receiving line/time to get out of there.  I really caution you about that and encourage you to use the reception hall if there is no A/C for your backup plan.
  • kmmssg said:
    McCMal said:
    @Mariepoppy That is actually a good idea, even if we do the whole panel thing, just so there's no chance of seeing me. 

Glad to hear you have a backup plan.  I do want to share one more thing to think about - I am guessing the church has no air conditioning.  If you stuff 200 people in a space that is going to be cramped, the temp will go up exponentially and it won't be pretty.  Keep in mind you won't be in there for 10 minutes.  People will come 15-20 minutes early, 10 more minutes for the wedding (if you don't run late, and be honest sometimes it happens), and then a receiving line/time to get out of there.  I really caution you about that and encourage you to use the reception hall if there is no A/C for your backup plan.
    The three situations we've planned for are like this:

It's beautiful, we do it outdoors on the steps, or depending on how many people RSVP, we do it inside and open the 20 giant windows for air. (Inside is our first option, but it will be crowded so we're planning on outside

Its drizzling or too windy: we do it inside and leave open the doors, and open a few of the windows (Grandma's experience in the church, after going there up until the 70s says that depending which way the rain came, they could open a few windows and it was fine.)

It's pouring or it's just way to windy: We do it at the reception hall

We wish we could do it indoors, but as we're currently at about 244 invites, we can't quite squeeze that many in. So we're planning outdoors. Grandma says that heat in there has never been to much of an issue due to the 20 10ft windows on the north and south sides. 
    Photo is positioned 
    N
    W E
    S

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I know you are trying to keep costs down. My cousin bought a $100 Easy up shade thing for camping with sides so it was a tent that the bridal party waited in before the ceremony. It was about 10 x 10. Then she used it for camping afterwards. Not sure if you have the extra hundred or if you know anyone who does camping who might have one you could borrow to put behind your doors. You probably wouldnt need all of the sides up. 
  • @McCMal - just thought of something else that is super simple.  Since you don't want your FI to see you until you start walking down the aisle, just have him do what Prince William did and stand with his back towards the aisle.  Then once your music starts that is his cue to turn around and then he will see you for the first time.  Simple and easy.

• @Maggie0829 that would be cute, for pictures too! @2leadsingers I do like this idea, because we'd use it later! Just depends on the wind really. Thank you all for all the great suggestions! This has given me a bunch of new ideas.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Could your rent like one of those little storage sheds? Idk like this and put in the back of the aisle

imageWedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards