Getting in Shape

Best workout?

I need to get in shape and tone up before my wedding on June 28th of this year! I am not sure what kind of workout to be doing. HELP!

Answers

• Honestly, if you aren't doing anything then anything will help. Hot yoga or power yoga are awesome. I've heard great things about crossfit but am still too intimidated to do it.

Just make sure you are eating right, and doing a good mix of cardio and strength training. Personally, I'm just hitting the gym 4 times a week. about 20-40 min cardio, then focusing on abs/arms/legs etc. I've found a lot of mini workouts that help on pinterest.

Planks are amazing.

I've done Insanity and that was fun. Would your FI do it with you? DH and I did it together.
  • I have been doing the Jillian Micheals 30-day  shred level one videos. I have completed the full 25-minute  video four times now. The very first day I tried it, I was so exhausted I only made it to 8 minutes. I plan on doing at least a 25-minute  workout daily except for the days I work two jobs and have no time to shower afterwards. On the days that I do not do the workout, I am doing at least 10-minute arm weights workout. I am also working to cut out my soda intake as I was previously drinking 5 or more cans a day. Now I am drinking one or two cans most.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm a big fan of Jillian Micheal's 30-Day shred, also. (They're on YouTube for free!) They're short and effective. 

Also, sweets & white starches and you'll be amazed. 
  • Check Groupon on LivingSocial for fitness class deals or low-cost personal training.

After you find an exercise you like, self-control is the harder part.  I'd still like to lose a little more for my May wedding, but I still cave in and splurge on a milkshake, wings...  You have to want to lose the weight more than you want your splurges.  I'm trying to cut back so that when I'm two months out, I'm not having those diet fails.

• Insanity will get you right!! I lost a significant amount of inches from my waist the last time I did it. I plan on doing it again. I also ordered the 30 day shred from Groupon. It was on sale for $5.99!! I am gonna try it first and then move on to Insanity...
  • First of all try drinking a lot of water either warm with added honey, and try taking long walk’s may be during day time or in the evening, make sure that you only have diet that contains carbohydrates & proteins cut out Extra fat and sugar from your diet may be that would help you a lot.
  • I've been doing p 90x for the past 2 months. It's not so bad once you get used to it. But it definatley delivers results. Most important thing is diet though and eating before 8pm and drinking lots of water.
  • First of all try drinking a lot of water either warm with added honey, and try taking long walk’s may be during day time or in the evening, make sure that you only have diet that contains carbohydrates & proteins cut out Extra fat and sugar from your diet may be that would help you a lot.
    This is...not great advice.  A diet of only carbs and protein isn't really a diet at all.  Focusing on carbs isn't going to help you lose weight.  High protein, low carb/low fat is a more likely combo to drive weight loss, and keep you full longer.  
  • Daily Burn is a great app to use for a wide variety of workouts. They usually have 30-day trial free offers. I loved using it because you can do it at home or take it anywhere (I streamed from my iPad). You can also stream to phone, tv and computer. You can choose a program fit for you ability level and each day there is a workout for you with recovery days planned in as well. Their site also has nutrition tips and recipes as well. 
  • kcook93 said:
    I need to get in shape and tone up before my wedding on June 28th of this year! I am not sure what kind of workout to be doing. HELP!

I'm trying to get in shape for my June 28th wedding too. I tried Jillian Michaels. She is good, but not my personal favorite. I'm on day 2 of Tracy Anderson's Metamorphosis. I found her videos on YouTube, and like 5 minutes of her stuff had me sore for days. I decided to buy a boxed set when I got a 20% off coupon for Bed, Bath, and Beyond. I'm doing the work outs, but doing my own diet plan. I'm not overweight, I just want to slim down and tone. Plus, I'm a vegetarian, so those diet plans never work for me. If anyone wants to message me and we can track our weight goals together, I'd be down.
  • I'm gonna put a plug in here for crossfit. I was intimidated too but until I started doing it, all of my misconceptions about it went out the window. There are people of all ranges of fitness, abilities, and age doing crossfit. Every exercise can be modified if you can't do the full scale version. I went from working out with a personal trainer for hours a week and not being able to lose weight, to doing crossfit for 4 hours a week and losing ten pounds. Give it a try before you make up your mind.
  • Also, if you buy a wedding dress at your current weight and end up losing weight (this happened to me), make sure you have enough $$ in your budget for alterations. I ended up paying $400 for alterations.
  • I love Pilates... I used to teach BodyFlow which is a combination of Tai chi, Pilates, and Yoga.  It does wonders for toning.

My endocrinologist recommended anything that tones as an increase in muscle increases your resting metabolism and therefore you lose weight.  To start though, he recommended the elliptical- it has a strength and a cardio component but is easier on your knees then the treadmill or running.  I like it because I can read and the time flies.   I do intend add back in Pilates soon though... just because I love it and the way it shapes me.  

I guess the key is... the best workout is one you enjoy and can stick with.  Do it for 3 weeks and if you still hate it maybe try something else.  Also, mix it up when you can to keep it interesting.  If it's a change in lifestyle and something you look forward to you'll be more successful!  Good luck.  So far my change has netted me down 30 pounds since the beginning of the year!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've started to do a barbell class in addition to cardio and I love it. It's a hour of intense, full body, work out that builds muscle- leading to more fat burning. My fiance was wearing his heart rate monitor to the class yesterday and managed to burn about 800 calories in an hour. Which would be 500-600 for me (215lbs vs 130.)
  • Check out my blog for my favorite workout team Karena & Katrina from Tone it Up, they have an entire Bridal series, not to mention their workouts are fun and they are adorable!!

Let me know on my blog if you use Tone it Up too!!
  • I've been doing a barre class (pure barre) for nearly 3 weeks now and while it's one of the most physically difficult things I've done for a long time, I really do like it and I LOVE the results I'm seeing. It's expensive, but you can usually find great deals for first timers &/or on groupon. I've been trying to do 3 classes a week (1 hour each), with cardio (elliptical work) 2 days a week. I'm going to measure on Friday, but as of last week, I've lost a half inch in thighs, hips & waist. 

That said, I absolutely agree with @valharte that the best workout is the one you enjoy and can stick with. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I love Tone it Up for my workouts, you can do them in the comfort of your own home and there's always something new on their site, check out my blog post about it! And please comment and follow!

• I personally hate work out videos and jogging. I teach dance classes and those can kick butt! If you join a gym go to the fitness classes!

Weight train so you don't get all flabby. I also got really into biking last summer. I began biking for 15-20 minutes and gradually worked up to about an hour each day. Get a pedometer and get your 10,000 steps in everyday!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards