Wedding Etiquette Forum

This is where those sky high expectations come from.

http://www.bluenile.com/bridesmaid-duties

I was literally screaming "nooooo!!" as I was reading this.

Re: This is where those sky high expectations come from.

• Yikes! My e-ring is from blue Nile and I love it, but I wouldnt trust them with etiquette. It's sad to think of women who may read this and then decline a close friend's request to be a bridesmaid because she can't afford a "duty" that can cost up to $1500.
  • MGPMGP member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2014
    What concerns me more is the bride who reads this and thinks that this is the actual standard.  Here are a few more I found:

http://www.confettidaydreams.com/bridesmaid-duties/ - clean up crew?  Are you kidding me????

http://www.southboundbride.com/guest-post-bridesmaids-moh-duties/ - be on hand to accept vendor deliveries and run errands?  This one also has a picture of the dreaded personalized satin robes.  Kill me now. . . 

http://apracticalwedding.com/2013/07/bridesmaid-duties/ - this one is the most reasonable of them all with the "bare necessities" list.

I need a drink now.
  • Ugh that's pretty awful. It's a jewelry company and a rather expensive one at that though, I'm sure they love speshul snowflake bridezillas. No offense to anyone that got their jewelry there, but I'm sure they love the sort of bride that would refuse to marry a guy that spends less than X money on their ring or kick out a bridesmaid that doesn't spend X money on their e-party gift.
  • It's pretty sick isn't it? I once spent quite some time looking up bridesmaid duties and it wasn't until I changed my search to "Miss Manners bridesmaids" that I found any information other than that brideslave tripe.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • All I could think while reading that was "FFS"

• All I could think while reading that was "FFS"
    I know it's so gross.

If you expect someone to assemble your invites, make your centerpieces, book your travel, throw you parties, tip your vendors, pose for cheesy pictures in a clone outfit, bus your tables, bring your gifts back to your house while you are on your (Honeyfunded) honeymoon, and stroke your ego during this horrendous process - THEN HIRE SOMEONE!!!!
  • FiancB said:
    Ugh that's pretty awful. It's a jewelry company and a rather expensive one at that though, I'm sure they love speshul snowflake bridezillas. No offense to anyone that got their jewelry there, but I'm sure they love the sort of bride that would refuse to marry a guy that spends less than X money on their ring or kick out a bridesmaid that doesn't spend X money on their e-party gift.
    I bought DH cufflinks there as a wedding present, because they had the best price/selection of them and I wanted them engraved, but wow....glad I didn't see this before I ordered the cufflinks!!
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • There is a place on that website to contact Blue Nile with feedback.  I just used it and told them what I thought of their ideas, and how bad it made their company appear to the public.  I suggest you ladies do the same.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I almost vomited all over my macbook when I read that.

Be prepared to shell out $300 to travel to the shower just to give your $50 gift, because in addition to being a brideslave you are also an ATM.

Right now I'm just praying that the BZ whose wedding I'm going to be in doesn't see this...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• CMGragain said:
    There is a place on that website to contact Blue Nile with feedback.  I just used it and told them what I thought of their ideas, and how bad it made their company appear to the public.  I suggest you ladies do the same.
    I just did so myself.  One of the "tips" was for the bridesmaid to bride the children in the wedding with sweets.  I consider this irresponsible because you may have a bridesmaid who is not familiar with children and says "hey that's an awesome idea" and brings a bag full of candy with her.  Only she doesn't think to ask the child's parent if they can have it or look for a medic alert bracelet and it turns out the kid has an allergy or is diabetic.  Not all kids with food restrictions are responsible about managing their condition.  Not to mention sweets will not calm a kid down, you will most likely have the opposite reaction.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mysticl said:
    CMGragain said:
    There is a place on that website to contact Blue Nile with feedback.  I just used it and told them what I thought of their ideas, and how bad it made their company appear to the public.  I suggest you ladies do the same.
    I just did so myself.  One of the "tips" was for the bridesmaid to bride the children in the wedding with sweets.  I consider this irresponsible because you may have a bridesmaid who is not familiar with children and says "hey that's an awesome idea" and brings a bag full of candy with her.  Only she doesn't think to ask the child's parent if they can have it or look for a medic alert bracelet and it turns out the kid has an allergy or is diabetic.  Not all kids with food restrictions are responsible about managing their condition.  Not to mention sweets will not calm a kid down, you will most likely have the opposite reaction.  
    I just sent one as well and signed my name as "Horrified".

Did anyone catch at the top where it says "if the bride is planning an engagement party you should plan on being there"?  Just another site validating people's justification that they can throw themselves gift giving parties.
  • Expect to buy three gifts, four if there is an engagement party?! Seriously? It's a gift.  You don't expect to buy any.  You choose to buy something (or some things) based on your relationship with the people getting married and how much you can afford.  If any of my friends expected four gifts from me for their wedding, we wouldn't be friends for long.
  • I think bridal party members should be exempt from gift giving if they are already giving a lot of time and money to be in the wedding!
  • Ok, actually read the stupid mess of a board, Sorry ladies couldn't get past the "expect to" BS!!!!
  • No this is so bad....
    and FI got my ring from there

Anniversary

• How did you find this? They emailed me back and was wondering how you found the page.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • How did you find this? They emailed me back and was wondering how you found the page.
    Pinterest.  Where else?  :)

I think I searched "bridesmaid duties" or something like that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards