Getting in Shape
Options

Anyone doing Keto?

I'm not a fad diet person- but my fiance started this about a week ago and he's loving it. I was already 90% there since I've been eating the same lunch and dinner as him, so I just thought- what the heck, I'll give it a try. Today is day 1! I handed out the chocolate covered coffee beans I had at my desk and am looking forward to my peanut butter and celery snack. 

I don't have much weight I'd like to lose, 5 or 10 lb would be nice, but if I don't lose anything I won't stress either. So we'll see how this works! 

For those who don't know- keto is super low carb. when your body doesn't get any carbohydrates (we're talking less than 80 calories a day from carbs) it starts to use up its fat stores. The body can apparently burn about 1,900 calories from fat stores a day. When your body switches to burning fat it goes into ketosis and you start excreting ketones- at which point you know you are in ketosis. You feel weak for a few days when you enter in, but after that, apparently you feel just fine. 

So anyways, it is NOT a lifestyle, or a long term diet, but if you have fat to burn, it's a very effective way of doing it.

Re: Anyone doing Keto?

• Options
    I did keto for 6 weeks and lost 20 pounds. I felt amazing and looked great. I am definitely in support of it as a short-term solution to weight loss.

FWIW, I did less than 20 grams of carbs a day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Update- my fiance is down 8 lbs and I've lost about 2. Since cutting the carbs, both of us feel better and most of the weight I lost came right from the gut area. We stumbled upon a barbell class at the gym last night that was a great work out too. Our exercise game plan is barbell class twice a week paired with our twice weekly dance classes and running with the dog. 
  • Options
    Ketosis can also cause the body to break down protein as an energy source (read: your muscles). You really can't control where your body decided to pull it's energy from, so just be observant in that regard. Loss of lean muscle mass can have detrimental effects on your metabolic rate. 

I also would not suggest working out taking in that few carbs. If you don't have any glycogen for your body to pull from during a workout it WILL break down protein instead. 

Just my two cents though. 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    cnf2013 said:
    Ketosis can also cause the body to break down protein as an energy source (read: your muscles). You really can't control where your body decided to pull it's energy from, so just be observant in that regard. Loss of lean muscle mass can have detrimental effects on your metabolic rate. 

I also would not suggest working out taking in that few carbs. If you don't have any glycogen for your body to pull from during a workout it WILL break down protein instead. 

Just my two cents though. 
    You definitely need to take in enough calories to keep the body from breaking down muscles. I'm just following my fiance's lead, he did all the research.
  • Options
    I've done it and it's not for me. Too much counting. FI & I have decided to go back to eating primarily Paleo. We both lost some weight and felt overall better for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards