Wedding Woes

I don't get the hype of Frozen.

Everyone keeps talking about how wonderful Frozen is. I saw it with DS and I'm missing why it was so amazing. Yes it was good, I'm not saying that it wasn't but everyone gushes over this movie and I don't get it.

Re: I don't get the hype of Frozen.

• It's because you're a bitter old hag.
  • I think the main reason it's so popular is because it talks about a different kind of true love. Sisterly love instead of romantic love. All previous Disney princess movies (at least that I can think of) focused on romantic love, except Brave, which was a mother/daughter love.
  • It's also the first Disney movie to feature less-than-perfect parents. All other Disney movies have happy families, although usually with one parent dead. In this movie, the parents were abusive, forcing her to keep her gift hidden.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • It's also the first Disney movie to feature less-than-perfect parents. All other Disney movies have happy families, although usually with one parent dead. In this movie, the parents were abusive, forcing her to keep her gift hidden.

I agree. Although I wouldn't necessarily call them abusive. More overprotective.
  • AuntFlo said:
    It's because you're a bitter old hag.
    Anybody watch China IL? This reminds me of the episode where one of the profs is shunned for not getting why everybody loves the toy movie so much. 
  • pinkshorts27pinkshorts27 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2014
    My friends weren't expecting to like it so were pleasantly surprised, while you heard the hype and were probably disappointed.

ETA: Expectations change how you view something

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The reason I loved it was because of a) the sisterly love and b) I LOVED the music...like LOVE! That and I am sorta obsessed with Idina Menzel. 
    Anniversary
  • I second @smalfrie19.  My 5-year old niece and her friend were singing the soundtrack - so I downloaded it for a three hour drive home.  After hearing the music - I went to see it and loved it.  I also may have a slight girl crush on Kristen Bell.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I haven't seen it, but I want to because of all of the fundies saying that it glamorizes homosexuality.

• I think so much of what other people see in Frozen is completely lost on kids. DS remembers the snowman. He wants his own personal snow. That's his takeaway. As an adult, I guess I'm jaded and see that in the end Disney realizes that they're making a buttload in merchandising- who cares about the message.
  • I get it PMeg.  Disney has completely taken over our lives.  They are marketing geniuses.  Their princesses, pirates, and other characters are strewn all over our house.  There are all the Marvel superhero movies, too.  Disney Jr. is one of three channels we let DD watch, and one of 2 websites she's allowed to go to.  We even have the Disney Infinity video game that "sells" their product even more.  We watch Once Upon a Time and SHEILD on ABC.  As I was watching Disney on Ice a couple of weeks ago, I kept getting overwhelmed about the Disney-ness of it all.  We are brainwashed.  But I totally have Stockholm Syndrome and will continue to love Disney.
    So, try not to think to hard about it and enjoy yourself.  :)
  • Confession: I love Spider-Man. I get annoyed when we have to watch Cars for the millionth time, and he won't watch Spider-Man.
  • Marvel's gender BS has been pissing me off.

Buffy loves superhero squad (which is far less annoying than many of the other options) and you can't get a DAMN THING that has a female superhero on it.  NOTHING.
    All of the coloring books?  only male.  
    I wrote them a letter & an email and they gleaned my email to use for spam and didn't respond, so there is a campaign of fire happening right now.  They haven't answered email/letter 4-6 that went out in response to 1-3 being ignored so shit's about to get a snowshower of letters to every address I can find for the company--and I have the googlefu to find a fuckton of addresses.
  • Ultimate Spider-Man has a female superhero (White Tiger or Catgirl as DS calls her) and I can find White Tiger things just a FYI.
  • Watch The Lego movie instead. Seriously. There's a good movie.
  • Thanks, ultimate spidey will be on the list.

Someone mentioned gozilla cartoons, which have been absurdly popular too :)
  • PMeg819 said:

I think so much of what other people see in Frozen is completely lost on kids. DS remembers the snowman. He wants his own personal snow. That's his takeaway. As an adult, I guess I'm jaded and see that in the end Disney realizes that they're making a buttload in merchandising- who cares about the message.

Exactly. People can argue that it has whatever message but in the end the kids will probably only remember Olaf or some random part to the movie.
  • I'm annoyed that Disney has so little villain merchandise. Wolverine isn't really into the princess thing, but she loves the villains. 

• I just watched it and really liked it, but it might be because watching Anna and Elsa made me wish my sister didn't suck so much so we could be friends again.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards