Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Ring Security- ring bearers

We want to use my nephews as "ring security" ...complete with the ear buds, and a briefcase holding the rings handcuffed to their wrist. We are having trouble finding a kid sized briefcase. Any ideas? 

Thanks! 

Re: Ring Security- ring bearers

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_ring-security-ring-bearers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:38b24de2-982e-48f7-867d-9eebfc6af6bdPost:9db45e7f-2921-4105-9789-b8375ba14520">Ring Security- ring bearers</a>:
    [QUOTE]We want to use my nephews as "ring security" ...complete with the ear buds, and a briefcase holding the rings handcuffed to their wrist. We are having trouble finding a kid sized briefcase. Any ideas?  Thanks! 
    Posted by USAFWifetoBeNikki[/QUOTE]

<div>How old are they?  The idea sounds cute, but young kids aren't going to like the feeling of an earbud or handcuffs.  Even if you get them to wear the full thing, they might look really uncomfortable or fidget.</div>
    "I give you this ring as a symbol of my vow, and with all that I am, and all that I have, I honor you."image
    July 12, 2013
  • Some tool sets come in hard plastic cases that are similar in shape to a briefcase. Perhaps you or someone you know has one in a suitable size that could be repurposed?
  • it doesn't say how old your nephew is but you can use the ring bearer pillow and use the ribbons on the pillow to tie the rings to the pillow so they dont fall off and get lost.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_ring-security-ring-bearers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:38b24de2-982e-48f7-867d-9eebfc6af6bdPost:abc7ae68-4532-4120-bd93-469d264bb10f">Re: Ring Security- ring bearers</a>:
    [QUOTE]it doesn't say how old your nephew is but you can use the ring bearer pillow and use the ribbons on the pillow to tie the rings to the pillow so they dont fall off and get lost.
    Posted by mrsbobfilson[/QUOTE]

<div>They aren't using the pillow. They are using a small briefcase. Did you read her post?</div>
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_ring-security-ring-bearers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:38b24de2-982e-48f7-867d-9eebfc6af6bdPost:9db45e7f-2921-4105-9789-b8375ba14520">Ring Security- ring bearers</a>:
    [QUOTE]We want to use my nephews as "ring security" ...complete with the ear buds, and a briefcase holding the rings handcuffed to their wrist. We are having trouble finding a kid sized briefcase. Any ideas?  Thanks! 
    Posted by USAFWifetoBeNikki[/QUOTE]

I find the "security" thing to be too cutesy for my taste.  Probably many others do too, which is why you aren't able to find a kid-sized briefcase.

If this kid isn't big enough to carry a regular briefcase, I have serious doubts that he really understands what you're asking of him, and for that reason, I suggest you don't do this because it makes him a prop.
  • Try doing a Google search for small attache cases. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_ring-security-ring-bearers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:38b24de2-982e-48f7-867d-9eebfc6af6bdPost:abc7ae68-4532-4120-bd93-469d264bb10f">Re: Ring Security- ring bearers</a>:
    [QUOTE]it doesn't say how old your nephew is but you can use the ring bearer pillow and use the ribbons on the pillow to tie the rings to the pillow so they dont fall off and get lost.
    Posted by mrsbobfilson[/QUOTE]

Yeah I don't think you even read her post.

But besides that, I would HIGHLY suggest to everyone you don't give the RB the actual wedding rings. I've never seen anybody do that. I would give them to the officiant or the honor attendants for safe keeping.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • edited February 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_ring-security-ring-bearers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:38b24de2-982e-48f7-867d-9eebfc6af6bdPost:dfd42fae-0324-443e-87d0-3a13afe47973">Re: Ring Security- ring bearers</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ring Security- ring bearers : We gave our RB the real rings and had no trouble.  I think so long as they're secured (and you don't get much more secure than a closed brief case), it's fine.  Our RB got the pillows with the rings tied on right before he walked down the aisle.  Worst case scenario, one of the rings fell off and we would have had to stop and look for it.  Not the end of the world in our case. I get not wanting to give a little kid your rings, but I don't get having a RB who doesn't carry the rings.  That's kind of pointless to me, and just makes the kid a prop.  JMO, of course.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

I agree with Stage. Dressing the kid up like security guard isn't much different from dressing him in a tux as far as the prop thing is concerned. And I've never understood the point in having a ring bearer if he's not, ya know, bearing the rings. Granted my RB was an older kid, but I just tied the rings on a few minutes before the ceremony and once RB processed in he gave them to the Best Man. There's not much that could have happened to them in the meantime.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_ring-security-ring-bearers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:38b24de2-982e-48f7-867d-9eebfc6af6bdPost:7274967d-7275-42a3-ac0d-50e47d3e48d3">Re: Ring Security- ring bearers</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ring Security- ring bearers : Yeah I don't think you even read her post. But besides that, I would HIGHLY suggest to everyone you don't give the RB the actual wedding rings. I've never seen anybody do that. I would give them to the officiant or the honor attendants for safe keeping.
    Posted by Summer2011Bride[/QUOTE]

Funny you mention this. Our RB pillow actually came with fake rings attached as do many I've seen, as if to say they shouldn't have the real rings.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_ring-security-ring-bearers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:38b24de2-982e-48f7-867d-9eebfc6af6bdPost:2f9844e4-1750-4eec-91be-ad191695b784">Re: Ring Security- ring bearers</a>:
    [QUOTE]Some tool sets come in hard plastic cases that are similar in shape to a briefcase. Perhaps you or someone you know has one in a suitable size that could be repurposed?
    Posted by artbyallie[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Good idea...I didn't think of that! Thanks!! </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_ring-security-ring-bearers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:38b24de2-982e-48f7-867d-9eebfc6af6bdPost:4f1e7502-88f7-4bb8-8ca5-d12a776f5dc1">Re: Ring Security- ring bearers</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Ring Security- ring bearers : I find the "security" thing to be too cutesy for my taste.  Probably many others do too, which is why you aren't able to find a kid-sized briefcase. If this kid isn't big enough to carry a regular briefcase, I have serious doubts that he really understands what you're asking of him, and for that reason, I suggest you don't do this because it makes him a prop.
    Posted by Jen4948[/QUOTE]

<div>My nephews are 6 and 8 and love the idea of being "security" at my wedding. I didn't ask for criticism of my idea but, instead, help for finding a item. Please keep your negative opinions to yourself next time. Thank you. </div>
  • Www.etsy.com/shop/MissionUnboxable Kids briefcase with sunglasses kit $18
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2013
    In Response to Re: Ring Security- ring bearers:
    In Response to Ring Security- ring bearers : I find the "security" thing to be too cutesy for my taste.  Probably many others do too, which is why you aren't able to find a kid-sized briefcase. If this kid isn't big enough to carry a regular briefcase, I have serious doubts that he really understands what you're asking of him, and for that reason, I suggest you don't do this because it makes him a prop.
    Posted by Jen4948
    My nephews are 6 and 8 and love the idea of being "security" at my wedding. I didn't ask for criticism of my idea but, instead, help for finding a item. Please keep your negative opinions to yourself next time. Thank you. 
    By posting here you did indeed ask for criticism of your idea.  You are not entitled to have everyone here like your idea any more than if you asked us live or asked anyone else.  So no, I won't keep my negative opinions to myself.  And no, you are not welcome.
  • cap816 said:
    Jen4948 said:
    In Response to Re: Ring Security- ring bearers:
    In Response to Ring Security- ring bearers : I find the "security" thing to be too cutesy for my taste.  Probably many others do too, which is why you aren't able to find a kid-sized briefcase. If this kid isn't big enough to carry a regular briefcase, I have serious doubts that he really understands what you're asking of him, and for that reason, I suggest you don't do this because it makes him a prop.
    Posted by Jen4948
    My nephews are 6 and 8 and love the idea of being "security" at my wedding. I didn't ask for criticism of my idea but, instead, help for finding a item. Please keep your negative opinions to yourself next time. Thank you. 
    By posting here you did indeed ask for criticism of your idea.  You are not entitled to have everyone here like your idea any more than if you asked us live or asked anyone else.  So no, I won't keep my negative opinions to myself.  And no, you are not welcome.
    A little late, don't you think?
    Perhaps, but someone, not me, bumped this thread this morning.

And it bothers me when people ask how to do something that others may think is not a good idea, and then get all pissy when those people say so.  Nobody is entitled to expect only applause, what a wonderful idea, do it like this, just by posting here or anywhere else.
  • Lisacee said:
    Www.etsy.com/shop/MissionUnboxable Kids briefcase with sunglasses kit $18
    Thank you for your very timely advice.

• visualfxvisualfx member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited February 2014
    Wow. It really is sad to see the people that have nothing better to do than come on a board and criticize someone's ideas. The original poster did not ask for opinions. She asked for ideas. If you aren't being helpful, then don't bother posting. I thought this place was to help others, not push your beliefs on. Btw, this post came up on a google search for something I was looking for, so yes some time has passed since the original post. Hopefully the ladies/gents on here that felt the need to be negative have learned some manners by now.
  • visualfx said:

Wow. It really is sad to see the people that have nothing better to do than come on a board and criticize someone's ideas. The original poster did not ask for opinions. She asked for ideas. If you aren't being helpful, then don't bother posting. I thought this place was to help others, not push your beliefs on. Btw, this post came up on a google search for something I was looking for, so yes some time has passed since the original post. Hopefully the ladies/gents on here that felt the need to be negative have learned some manners by now.

Why did I get out of bed this morning?

Anniversary
  • Try a costume supply store

• AddieL73 said:

Thank goodness another newb has come along to scold and fix us.

I know, how dare people visit wedding boards for the first time.  So rude of them.  It's not like people get engaged on any given day and decide to check out boards that appear to have advice for ideas.  Wedding discussion boards should only be for those experienced in discussion of wedding planning, who are familiar with (and ideally participate in) the tearing apart of other people's ideas.  Preferably only those who have been planning for 3+ years, professional planners, and those who have already had their wedding, as they are able to offer the best advice.  Those who just got engaged and are beginning the planning process should expect to be insulted and ostracized for being so unfamiliar with the way we wedding board people do things. 

Geez, how dare a "newb" be offended by the mean comments posted all over this site.

*Yawn*

Seriously, why did I get out of bed this morning guys? Checking out the cute guy buying housewares was not worth leaving bed.

Anniversary
  • AddieL73 said:
    I know, how dare people visit wedding boards for the first time.  So rude of them.  It's not like people get engaged on any given day and decide to check out boards that appear to have advice for ideas.  Wedding discussion boards should only be for those experienced in discussion of wedding planning, who are familiar with (and ideally participate in) the tearing apart of other people's ideas.  Preferably only those who have been planning for 3+ years, professional planners, and those who have already had their wedding, as they are able to offer the best advice.  Those who just got engaged and are beginning the planning process should expect to be insulted and ostracized for being so unfamiliar with the way we wedding board people do things. 

Geez, how dare a "newb" be offended by the mean comments posted all over this site.
    Just because someone is new here doesn't mean they've earned any right to have everything only on their own terms.  We are allowed to disagree with them, and we will do so if they are proposing to do something or offering advice that either violates wedding etiquette, is inconsiderate of the needs of their guests, family and WP members, vendors, and anyone else involved in their weddings, or is simply impractical or a bad suggestion.  No one is entitled to expect otherwise.
  • In Response to Re: Ring Security- ring bearers:
    it doesn't say how old your nephew is but you can use the ring bearer pillow and use the ribbons on the pillow to tie the rings to the pillow so they dont fall off and get lost.
    Posted by mrsbobfilson
    Yeah I don't think you even read her post.

But besides that, I would HIGHLY suggest to everyone you don't give the RB the actual wedding rings. I've never seen anybody do that. I would give them to the officiant or the honor attendants for safe keeping.
    I fully intended to give our ring bearer the rings however FI had them and I didn't have the chance to get them prior to the ceremony starting.  My best friend had her 5-year-old nephew carry the rings.  you just give them to the child right before they head down the aisle.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mimiphinmimiphin member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2014
    AddieL73 said:

bremnerschmitz Wow Slightly insulted, considering I am a Professional Planner, I have special letters after my name and a seal to-boot!

Every single person on this site was a "newb" at some point. I was this past summer, I said somethings out of line in a vent that I did not label as such and got called out on it. You know what I learned from it and am now a better person for it.

ETA:spelling

• @mimiphin - sorry, didn't mean to imply that planners shouldn't be on this site, or that planners are the ones making rude comments.  I was simply trying to point out the ridiculousness of being annoyed by a "newb" on a wedding planning board.  

I've been very offended by rude comments I've seen on these boards lately, and the fact that someone who tries to point out this rudeness is assumed to be a "newb" and is disregarded for being such.

Sorry that what I said offended you mimi, I didn't mean to be singling out any group as not belonging here (except mean people who degrade others...)
  • JCbride2015JCbride2015 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2014
    @mimiphin - sorry, didn't mean to imply that planners shouldn't be on this site, or that planners are the ones making rude comments.  I was simply trying to point out the ridiculousness of being annoyed by a "newb" on a wedding planning board.  

I've been very offended by rude comments I've seen on these boards lately, and the fact that someone who tries to point out this rudeness is assumed to be a "newb" and is disregarded for being such.

Sorry that what I said offended you mimi, I didn't mean to be singling out any group as not belonging here (except mean people who degrade others...)
    See, the funny thing about this is, nobody was even mean to OP last year.  (Why the heck is this bumped, again?)  There were just comments like, "Too cutesy for my taste."  I wouldn't call that mean and certainly not degrading.

I got called an asshole in another thread today.  That's mean and degrading.  And guess who called me that?  Not a reg...

(edited to fix autocorrect)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2014
    The poster resurrecting a zombie thread to scold people IS a newb. She started posting in January and only has a handful of posts. That's a newb. I don't care if new people are here. FFS, everyone was new at one point. I simply lack patience for people who basically come out of nowhere to scold people, ESPECIALLY when they resurrect a zombie thread to do it. 

ETA: It was ok for her to say people have nothing better to do than come on a board and criticize others, though, right? No problem with her saying that. No problem with her assuming those posters have no life but to be meanieheads. But if I find it tedious to have a new person resurrect a zombie thread to scold people, THAT's not ok and means that I don't welcome new people. Okie Dokie. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Damn it!!! I fell for the Zombie!!!

• Try amazon... I feel like they have everything. People need to remember that a wedding is suppose to reflect the people getting married. If it's an idea you guys love that's all that matters! I'm sure it will be an adorable and fun moment for the ring bearer. Hope you find what you need.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards