Chit Chat

I liked SYTTD a lot more before getting engaged.

2»

Re: I liked SYTTD a lot more before getting engaged.

• Ughhhh! PPD woman just agreed to not only wear her wedding dress again to her PPD, but she also bought a second, $12 000 gown to change into.

Why does no one in her family see a problem with this? I understand the store going with it because they benefit from the sale. But come on...

If this WIFE has so much money that he can spend an unlimited amount of money on TWO dresses, why in the hell is she having a PPD? If something came up, couldn't they have easily been able to afford changing plans with venues? Something is fishy here.

• I used to watch all the wedding shows, but after getting married, I can hardly stand any of them except Marriage Bootcamp. SYTTD is by far the worst one for me now. I just can't stand it.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • mysticl said:
    DH absolutely did not want to see my dress before the wedding.  I would watch SYTTD and he would comment on some of the dresses.  Once I bought the dress he was worried he would say he didn't like a dress that looked like mine.  
    I watch it with him and go, "That's my dress" every time a really ugly one comes up. He knows I'm kidding, but I think it keeps him on his toes haha
    I told my mom that story and she was like, well, he's a guy he won't remember it when you walk down the aisle.  Um, yeah, but I absolutely would remember that he said he hated it.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I also used to enjoy SYTTD a lot more. Now I can't help but think that if I had that kind of money to just blow on something to wear, I'd rather have jewelry that I can get years of use out of and pass on to my (future) kids, rather than a dress to wear for one fucking day. As they say, diamonds are forever.

On the bringing things out slightly above budget, though, I can somewhat understand now, being in sales myself. They seem to have a little leeway to discount, which I have as well. And if someone can spend $10,000, it's not so much of a stretch to think they can probably spend another grand or two.
  • I mostly still enjoy SYTTD, although I had to skip the PPD episode because it was just making me too annoyed.  I always thought the girls on SYTTD were so entitled to be spending thousands, usually of someone else's money.  And it's crazy to me when brides come in with a 10,000+ budget.  Really?  Even if you had the money, why would you be spending so much on a dress?

Then I started planning my wedding... just outside NYC... and dress shopping.... and I am totally underwhelmed.  I'm pretty sure I'll be going to Kleinfeld pretty soon.  I will report back about the IRL experience!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Ughhhh! PPD woman just agreed to not only wear her wedding dress again to her PPD, but she also bought a second, $12 000 gown to change into.

Why does no one in her family see a problem with this? I understand the store going with it because they benefit from the sale. But come on...

If this WIFE has so much money that he can spend an unlimited amount of money on TWO dresses, why in the hell is she having a PPD? If something came up, couldn't they have easily been able to afford changing plans with venues? Something is fishy here.
    Apparently, they chose to elope in Italy a few months beforehand. Not sure why elopement was fine before and suddenly, isn't now and she needs to have a 'real wedding' (their words, not mine. We know where I stand on this haha)

Apparently, they chose to elope in Italy a few months beforehand. Not sure why elopement was fine before and suddenly, isn't now and she needs to have a 'real wedding' (their words, not mine. We know where I stand on this haha)
    UGH. We should all know where I stand on this by now as well. It's certainly a smack in the face to me.

UGH. We should all know where I stand on this by now as well. It's certainly a smack in the face to me.
    Agreed! I second the UGH. We're having under 40 people (including us and vendors), so I don't understand how you go from loving something small and intimate to 'needing' something big and flashy down the line, either.

• Yes! I am SUPER excited about our intimate <10 guest wedding. I once told Fi that I don't know how I could have handled a wedding with my ex (what with his 70 person extended family count, not to mention all our friends, etc).

I'd probably halt my own wedding with tears and need to hide in my hotel room to get away from the crowds.

Agreed! I second the UGH. We're having under 40 people (including us and vendors), so I don't understand how you go from loving something small and intimate to 'needing' something big and flashy down the line, either.
    I believe she had the elopement and was coming back to have a reception (which is fine) but Mom was pitching a fit and throwing a temper tantrum because she didn't see the vows...'I hate everything because I wasn't there to see it' kind of thing.

Randy then suggested to them that they 're-enact' the ceremony so Mom can be there and feel like she wasn't 'cheated'.

The whole thing just reeks of entitlement....ugh
  • LDay2014 said:
    Ughhhh! PPD woman just agreed to not only wear her wedding dress again to her PPD, but she also bought a second, $12 000 gown to change into.

I believe she had the elopement and was coming back to have a reception (which is fine) but Mom was pitching a fit and throwing a temper tantrum because she didn't see the vows...'I hate everything because I wasn't there to see it' kind of thing.

Randy then suggested to them that they 're-enact' the ceremony so Mom can be there and feel like she wasn't 'cheated'.

The whole thing just reeks of entitlement....ugh
    She was coming back to have a reception, but she wanted a big, princess dress for it (as if it were a second wedding), and was planning on having a vow renewal while wearing the new princess dress.

Mom didn't like anything she chose during the appointment because she said it was too Hollywood, and then Randy chimed in and got Mom to admit that she was sad that she missed out on seeing the first dress/wedding ceremony.

So, they agreed that she would wear her original dress during the vow renewal that she had already planned in an effort to recreate the original ceremony for Mom, and then she'd change into the Hollywood gown for the rest of the reception.

There was sadly always going to be a vow renewal while wearing a wedding gown, even before Mom's poutfest.

• I love the David Tutera shows. I would let him do whatever he wanted for my wedding, because I know everything he would do is infinitely better than anything I could do when left to my own devices.
  • Sometimes I think Tutera should let brides have some of the things they want, though. As a whole, the weddings they have planned (or more often haven't really planned much at all which is why they need help) are train wrecks, but sometimes he takes little details away from them that are victimless crimes.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I've watched a LOT of SYTTD and I agree--it's harder to watch after getting engaged.

My least favorite thing is when the bride clearly wants a particular thing that her entourage (and, in my opinion WORSE, the sales consultant) doesn't want, and they tell her it's not bridal enough, or invoke the whole, "This is the ONE day in your life you can wear a classic wedding dress." I've had a handful of people tell me I could wear a blue dress ANY day, but I could only wear a white dress on my wedding day, so I SHOULD wear white. So whenever brides fall in love with an outside-the-box type dress, including non-white dresses, and everyone gets all, "But you won't look BRIDAL!" I want to throw my laptop out the window.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • SP29SP29 member
    I always enjoyed SYTTD because I like to look at all the pretty dresses (that I would never spend that much money on!). Even before I was engaged I thought many of the brides were entitled. $10K budget, making mommy and daddy pay for it all, needing a second dress for the reception...eeks! All better things you could spend your money on. 

@phira there was one episode I watched where the bride was marrying a major league baseball player and the group she brought with her was a bunch of the other wives. The dress she picked was not cheap by any means, but it was a nice, more simple dress, that she loved but all the other wives convinced her to go with this over the top dress loaded with bling because "everyone would be expecting her to look a certain way". She ended up going with their choice because she felt pressured to fit in- I felt bad for her. 

I also think it's sad when the bride finds a dress she LOVES and one family member doesn't like it and makes the bride feel bad about it, sometimes choosing a dress she doesn't love because mom/dad/grandma/aunt/sister prefers it. 
  • @SP29 -- I saw that one! I hated that she felt pressured into picking a dress to 'compete' with what the other baseball wives had at their weddings, or what she thought she 'should' wear based on the circles they run in.

• phiraphira member
    @SP29 I remember that one! I felt so bad because she didn't look very comfortable with the dress she ended up in.

There was also an episode with the long-time girlfriend or wife (I honestly can't remember if it was a PPD, I think not) of a rock star who loved wearing black. She tried on a white dress she liked, and then a black gown she LOVED. And the consultants (including Randy) and her daughter told her, "You wear black all the time, this could be a nice evening gown, but this is your chance to be bridal, and black isn't bridal." So she got the white dress.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • @phira -- I saw that one! They were doing a vow renewal -- 20 years or more, if I remember correctly.

I loved the black dress on her, but she did seem to be taken with the ivory gown, so I was torn. They did have a point that she literally wears only black every other day, so sometimes it's nice to switch it up for a special event. However, I don't think anyone should wear something that doesn't feel true to who they are. Kinda on the fence with that one.

• I made the mistake of watching it with my FMIL. Once we got engaged, we were watching TV at her house with her and she saw it on, I mentioned I liked watching it so she turned it on and we watched it. She was getting into the planning a wedding thing. Since then she has been telling my FI that I am going to buy a 12,000 dollar dress since I liked the show. Like freaking out that I will blow a bunch of money on everything too after binge watching 4 weddings and SYTTD afterwards. I explained to her today that I am going to DB because it's the cheapest place I can find nearby. I'm looking to spend like 700 on the dress then add the alterations... But apparently a 1000 is still to much to fathom spending on a dress, she paid 300 for hers 30 years ago... 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards