Chit Chat
Options

NWR: stupid Excedrin commercial

I really hate the stereotype that women are always denying sex to their husbands.  This Excedrin commercial sucks.

Summary: commercial shows women at work and then at home, saying "Wow, my headache's gone really fast."  The last shot is a couple laying in bed, the husband is reading, and the wife says, "Hey, my headache's gone."  H immediately closes his book, turns off the light, then you hear rustling.  W turns on the light and says, "Not gonna happen."

What's the point of this?  Your headache is gone, so now you're free to shoot down your DH?  They should have stopped the commercial when DH turned out the light.  That would have been cute and cheeky.  Instead it just hammers home the stereotype of the frigid shrew wife.

Ick.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

Re: NWR: stupid Excedrin commercial

• Options
    OMG! I just saw this last night, and it INFURIATED me, for all the reasons you listed. I was just so annoyed by that. Like, 'Oh, my headache's gone, but you're still not getting any, why, because I'm a bitch.'
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    That is ridiculously infuriating! It reminds me of "What Women Want" with Mel Gibson when they're in that marketing meeting about Advil...which was still ridiculously annoying even then.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Ugh.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I have not seen it, but it sounds like a really obnoxious commercial.Gross.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    I agree! I think I get turned down more than the other way around!

We don't need our men ingrained with the thought that all women are going to turn their advances down no matter the situation and that they are going to feel unfulfilled and rejected in their marriage.

Won't that encourage the ideas of cheating?

image   image   image

• Options
    Oh! Oh! Oh!

So, I was so pissed off that I Tweeted at them. 

I wrote: Love the @Excedrin product; think the new commercial is demeaning, misogynistic, and stereotypical. You can (and should) do better #shameful

They responded: we appreciate you taking the time to share this with us. We apologize if our commercial offended you – this was not our intention.

So now I'm tempted to write back! Thoughts?
    Anniversary

• Options
    Edit the commercial to when they shut the lights off. :) cheeky and cute, as you said!

image   image   image

• Options
    I saw this commercial over the weekend and had the EXACT same reaction. 

• Options
    I replied, 'I'm more interested in why you thought that commercial wouldn't be offensive in the first place.'
    Anniversary

• Options
    @HisGirlFriday13 Love it.  Cool that they tweeted you back, but what a boring corporate non-apology.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    @JCBride2014 -- Yeah, that's what really annoyed me the most. Like, just effing own your decision, please.
    Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards