Registry and Gift Forum

Trying to choose crystal - which one?

FI and I did some registering this weekend. I already have two sets of china - a Christmas set I inherited from my grandma and a nearly complete set I found in an antique store several years ago for super cheap. So I've decided I'd like to register for some crystal stemware instead.

I really really really am in love with a collection from Waterford but it's sooooo much per piece! I feel guilty even putting it on the registry. However, I think it's classic and will hold value throughout the years. As alternatives, I'm also looking at a Lenox collection and a Mikasa collection. Does anyone know the differences? What makes Waterford so worth the 65$ (and up!) per glass? I listed them in order of my favorites - the Waterford, the Lenox, and then the Mikasa.

Waterford Lismore Nouveau - $65 for goblets, champagne flutes, and wine glasses, also has options to buy a carafe and stemless glasses

Lenox Venetian Lace Signature Collection - $43 to $48 for flutes, glasses, and goblets

Mikasa Capella Collection - starts at $29 per piece, and apparently can go on sale. Macy's has it marked down to $20 right now.image

Re: Trying to choose crystal - which one?

• I hate to say it, but I frequently see crystal go un-purchased on a registry. Which makes me sad bc I LOVE Waterford and collect it. If I was registering for stemware I would go all out and get the Waterford. You can see a difference between Waterford and the others IMHO. But I am Irish and as I mentioned before I collect Waterford, so I wouldn't splurge on crystal if it wasn't Waterford :) GL!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    @photokitty I LOVE Waterford too! And there are so many other beautiful pieces to collect...carafes, serving dishes, candle sticks. I love it when my mom pulls out her crystal for occasions. My FI and I are mostly upgrading and to be honest...our registries are really sparse because we don't see a need to get a bunch of stuff when we're already happy with most of what we have. So I feel like crystal will at least fill it out somewhat...although it will also put the average price on our registry quite a bit on the high side of things. Even if it goes unpurchased...at least we get that 15% completion discount right? ;)

• I totally agree! And if you family knows you love waterford then you a re more likely to get pieces. I didn't register for my second wedding but still received 2 pieces of waterford bc everyone who knows me knows I love it. I typically by china or a waterford wedding bowl as a wedding present, unless I know the couple wouldn't appreciate it. I would be happy to buy 2 goblets if the couple didn't register for china, bc I would know they would think of my fondly when they used them. I can tell you who gave me each piece of Waterford in my china cabinet and name those who gave me china as well - I just can tell you which place setting if from whom ;-p

• edited March 2014
    IMO, those three styles are really, really similar. I'd pick the cheapest. We got all of our glassware (and china, actually, which was the same line: Mikasa French Countryside) and it runs $15-20 per piece. And by the way, we've been married less than three years and have already had to buy a new glass or two at least 4 times due to breakage. We're clumsy, granted, but that's something to keep in mind.
  • They are very similar, but the weight is the biggest factor. The Waterford stems are thicker and sturdier…you can even see it in the picture. 

Personally, I think (but I'm a crystal and china snob) if you're not going for the Waterford it is better to choose a pattern that comes in a set of 6. I think people are more inclined to buy it as it looks like a more substantial gift. Those who will buy individual stemware, IMHO, would prefer to buy the Waterford. But again, I grew up in an Irish Catholic family that collects Waterford (and Belleek). :)

• labrolabro member

Sooo I registered for the Waterford. I'm sure FI's family will judge but it's not like they HAVE to buy it or even buy from the registry for that matter. @photokitty The reviews all said the same thing about the Waterford...that it's heavy and sturdy which helps make it more resistant to chipping and breakage. Even if I only get a piece or two from my guests it'll still be a start to my collection.

Thanks for all the help! It made me feel better about this decision. Quality and longevity are really important to me and I feel like I'm going to get that with the Waterford set.

• Also keep an eye on this site: http://www.shopshannon.com/waterford.htm
    They have sales frequently and you might be able to complete your set through them cheaper than Macy's (or wherever you registered). I get their emails and have purchased from them in the past.

I have been to their showroom and was impressed with what I saw from the Cashs' line, but didn't look at the stemware, so can't speak to it.

• The last set is my favourite.
  • Keep in mind that Waterford also has outlets, which might come in handy when you have to complete your set.   I also don't know where you are from on NJ sometimes has waterford warehouse sales.   The US corporate headquarters is in NJ and I was able to score my crystal for $15 a glass(ballet ribbon essence) and china for $45 a place setting(padova)
  • @lmhollister - waterford is on Ruelala right now at discounted prices, including the stemware that you posted.
  • Sooo I registered for the Waterford. I'm sure FI's family will judge but it's not like they HAVE to buy it or even buy from the registry for that matter. @photokitty The reviews all said the same thing about the Waterford...that it's heavy and sturdy which helps make it more resistant to chipping and breakage. Even if I only get a piece or two from my guests it'll still be a start to my collection.

Thanks for all the help! It made me feel better about this decision. Quality and longevity are really important to me and I feel like I'm going to get that with the Waterford set.

Our champagne flutes toppled over when someone bumped into our sweetheart table dancing a little too crazy.  I was relieved when they didn't break!
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2014
    Your wedding is the only time friends and family will want to give YOU something very special.  Register for the Waterford, and you won't regret it.  They had that pattern when I was a bride in 1976!  I have been to Waterford in Ireland, and watched a glassworker hand make a goblet in the factory.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I've inherited Waterford in that pattern that's at least 30 years old, based on Christmas pictures I've got. It's been used, in houses with rambunctious children, and only one piece ever broke that I know of as it's quite the family gossip. Grandpa, as a recent widow, broke a glass, needed stitches, met the dear volunteer at the hospital. Three years later, Grandpa married Grammy.

So, I vote Waterford. It's substantial, it's reasonably sturdy and it's classic.
  • labrolabro member
    @AllOnOneDay Love the story surrounding Waterford and how your grandparents met. That's so sweet! :)

• My husband and I vacationed in Ireland last summer and went through the Waterford factory.  I also love beautiful crystal and couldn't leave the factory empy handed.  I bought a set of candle holders, which my husband refers to as my $6,000 candle holders.

The tour of the factory was wonderful, but I had the feeling the guide had just returned from the Blarney Stone.  Waterford and Lenox table top crystal is all made in eastern Europe; only certain signature, commenorative pieces are actually made in Waterford, Ireland.  That being said, my crystal is Lenox and I love it.  I think the difference is really an aesthetic one; Lenox is more delicate.  Waterford does have a heavier look and feel.  I don't think this really affects its longevity.  If dropped, they are both going to break, crack or chip and if candles get too hot and drip, the crystal will crack (learned this the hard, expensive way). 

If you really want the Waterford, my vote is it's a beautiful luxury, put it on the registry and hope some beloved aunt gives you a few pieces; the rest you can collect over time as you have the money.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards