Outdoor Weddings
Options

What Date Did You Choose For Your Outdoor Wedding?

edited March 2014 in Outdoor Weddings
I love outdoor wedding ceremonies and/ or receptions. They're so peaceful and beautiful! My fiance and I were originally thinking of early April, but leaning more towards an afternoon wedding in early May because the weather here in New Jersey can be very unpredictable. 

So, what date did you choose for your outdoor wedding and why? 

Re: What Date Did You Choose For Your Outdoor Wedding?

• Options
    Weather here in MA is the same as Jersey and I'm terrified it will rain but whatever, can't live life in fear! We knew we wanted it not too hot but not too chilly so we chose smack dab middle of September because by the end of Sept I start needing a sweater (I'm a big pansy). The venue happened to have Sept 13th so we just went with it! 

My friend in Phoenix, AZ got married this past Saturday and it poured like crazy! It's so nuts because that literally only happens 2-3 times per year! 

• Options
    jenna8984 said:
    Weather here in MA is the same as Jersey and I'm terrified it will rain but whatever, can't live life in fear! We knew we wanted it not too hot but not too chilly so we chose smack dab middle of September because by the end of Sept I start needing a sweater (I'm a big pansy). The venue happened to have Sept 13th so we just went with it! 

My friend in Phoenix, AZ got married this past Saturday and it poured like crazy! It's so nuts because that literally only happens 2-3 times per year! 
    Wow, weather can be so unpredictable; it's a bit annoying, but something you can't control. I know another couple who got married in September as well. It seems to be a popular time of year! 
  • Options
    March 24th. We wanted Spring, and I am a teacher and needed to plan around state testing and then wanted the week of Spring Break before the wedding to be able to get last minute things done.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    We picked September in the bay area, CA.  It NEVER rains in August, September or October. It rained the entire week before the wedding. Luckily, it was gorgeous the day OF the wedding, but I was stressing out the week before.
  • Options
    My FI and I live in Ontario, Canada, so, Winter is out of the question (OOT guests might not be able to make it, etc.), Spring is always rainy, and Fall can be a little chilly sometimes and also rainy.  Therefore, we decided to go with Summer; then, we thought that the best weather was in August because it usually isn't too hot.  Our 'dream' venue was available for a long weekend in that month, so we went with Sunday August 2nd.  
  • Options
    We are getting married in central California and our date is October 5.

It worked for our work (easy to take time off, as it's a slow month for both of us), but it's still warm (but not unbearably so).
  • Options
    We chose late August (August 24) in the Philadelphia area. A lot of people thought we were crazy because August can be balls hot, but my birthday is the 17th so I knew that every year around then, the weather changes to be less humid. Our wedding day was perfect: 75 degrees and sunny, crystal clear blue sky, and very low humidity. 

I think the best dates around here are May 15-June 30 and August 15-September 15. We chose the warmer times because we had an evening reception, but you should be fine with an afternoon reception any time in May.

Also, we rented a tent just in case but were able to cancel it a few days before the wedding once the weather report came out.
  • Options
    We are getting married March 30 (in Maryland). I originally wanted to do it later in April, to have better weather, but the money worked out better for March. Fortunately we have an indoors Plan B, which I am pretty sure we are going to have to use. This winter has been terrible!

I think that either April or May works well for outdoors weddings in this area. My biggest concern would be the humidity getting too high near the end of May.
  • Options
    Ours is December 27th. We live in Southern California where it was 85 degrees outside for all of December this last year. If by some miracle it happens to rain, we will move indoors. But, it's really not a concern of mine.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We are getting married in central California and our date is October 5.

It worked for our work (easy to take time off, as it's a slow month for both of us), but it's still warm (but not unbearably so).
    I'm from central CA too, getting married Oct. 6th (I think)! We are getting married at Disneyland. The venue's we hope to get (can't book a small Disney wedding more that 6 months out so we won't know for sure until April 1st) are outdoors. I've been to Disneyland many times at that time and it's usually pretty nice. I'm not worried though as Disney moves just moves you to a hotel ballroom in the case of rain. 
  • Options
    June 7th in New Hampshire. It could be hot. It could pour. It could be humid. There could still be snow on the ground. Freaking out? check!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    June 7th in New Hampshire. It could be hot. It could pour. It could be humid. There could still be snow on the ground. Freaking out? check!
    Yikes! Weather here in New Jersey is pretty unpredictable like that too. There have been snowstorms in April before. Oh my. Hope you end up having fabulous weather! 
  • Options
    mmgreear said:
    We are getting married March 30 (in Maryland). I originally wanted to do it later in April, to have better weather, but the money worked out better for March. Fortunately we have an indoors Plan B, which I am pretty sure we are going to have to use. This winter has been terrible!

I think that either April or May works well for outdoors weddings in this area. My biggest concern would be the humidity getting too high near the end of May.
    It's always good to have a plan B! Yeah, once the humidity goes up, an outdoor ceremony becomes super uncomfortable. And imagine the bugs? Oh my. I hate bugs. 
  • Options
    Well, here in central Canada We pretty much have 10 months of winter (over-exaggeration but man, it sure feels like that.... even snowed 18 inches here in end of April/beginning May last year!) so we're doing it July 28th. Plus, I'm a teacher so getting time off is not an issue there!

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    We're getting married on Flathead Lake in northwest Montanan, and our date was chosen somewhat by default. June was out because of work obligations and August was out because my parents are vacationing out of the country. That left July and we eventually settled on the 19th. The weather is beautiful in the summer and relatively mild so I'm not so much worried about the heat. Fingers crossed it's not a freak year weather wise!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I'm getting married on September 26th in the Pittsburgh area. I share a lot your concerns about the weather as well. My grandparents got married on that same date in 1953 and it was 90 degrees that day. I hope history doesn't repeat itself. 
  • Options
    Our wedding is outdoors but the reception is indoors.  I am nervous that it might be too hot.  We are having our wedding on July 25th at 4pm in New York.  I hope my guests will be comfortable, and it is not too hot for them.
  • Options
    June 28 in central Ohio.  Temperature wise, it should be fairly pleasant, though it could be on the hot side.  Our venue does offer a guaranteed indoor back up space if the weather is bad, so if it's raining we will move inside.
  • Options
    We're outside of Philadelphia in PA and we're getting married outside late September. Hopefully we have good weather!
  • Options
    June 13, 2015 in CT! I looked up the weather history on farmer's almanac for that day in New Haven, and it has only rained twice in the last 30 years on that day. Keep your fingers crossed the 3rd time isn't next year!
  • Options
    March 29th...we live in Texas and summer outdoor weddings would be completely horrible.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We're getting married on July 17th, in Scotland, at dawn. Hopefully, it won't be too cold, and it won't rain, but it does tend to rain a lot in July nowadays.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    June 14th on the coast of Maine - I share your weather worries :-)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    October 24th in Maryland... like a lot of others, it could be 80+ and humid or it could be 40 and too cold for an outdoor ceremony.  We shall see!  It was the only fall Friday our venue had left for the season (even booking 15 months in advance!) and an outdoor ceremony really suited us so we decided to see what happens :)
  • Options
    We are having it May 31st in Northern CA.
  • Options
    October 5th in Dallas, GA.
  • Options
    We got married September 27 in southern New England.  We gambled a little bit because September can be anywhere from 50s-80s and I overheat easily.  The weather ended up being in the mid-60s and was just perfect.  In my area, I would only consider an outside wedding in May, June, Sept, Oct or Nov.
  • Options
    June 13, 2015 at the Swedish Museum in South Philadelphia- fingers crossed, the weather is always so wacky here!
  • Options
    June 21st in northern NJ. We have a back-up plan if it rains, but I'm really hopping we won't have to use it. 
  • Options
    Early October in Atlanta. We wanted to do it in late spring (late April/early May) but have to plan around my brother being out of the country. We wouldn't subject our guests to the Georgia summer but it starts cooling off around early October.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards