May 2015 Weddings

Registry?

Hi :)

When are all of you registering for your wedding gifts...? and where? 

I was told to start early but I'm not sure how early is too early...

Re: Registry?

• I'm not sure when I plan on registering but I plan on having a registry at bed bath and beyond. You can start your registry at any time.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm figuring on maybe around October or so, otherwise you risk items being discontinued, sold out, etc.
  • That's a good point @natswild. Thanks ladies :)
  • I plan on registering at Bed, Bath and Beyond and probably Macy's. I saw something that said you should register a year in advance but I feel like that may be too early? Things could be discontinued by that time. I was thinking maybe 6-7 months before? Not sure.
  • Is anyone considering registering for their honeymoon? I've seen a few sites that offer this, is it weird to do? What do you think?

• We'll be registering at Bed, Bath and Beyond and Target. I'll have our registry information on our website, and our website on our save-the-dates. Therefore I want to have the registries completed by September or so.
  • Is anyone considering registering for their honeymoon? I've seen a few sites that offer this, is it weird to do? What do you think?

You mean like a Honeyfund? No, it is considered tacky and rude. Essentially the way it works is that you will be registering for different aspects of the honeymoon(flight, an excursion, a meal, etc). But you'll really be getting a check, it's not like your guests are sending this money directly to what it is supposedly going for. And, they charge a fee. So, if your cousin donates say $100, and there is a fee that equates to $10 - you will only be getting $90. 

I learned about this on this site, because a friend of mine is doing it for her wedding so I posed the same question you did. It seems like a great idea but in reality it really isn't. The way I see it it's like asking for cash but sugar coating it.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• pinkcow13 said:
    Is anyone considering registering for their honeymoon? I've seen a few sites that offer this, is it weird to do? What do you think?

You mean like a Honeyfund? No, it is considered tacky and rude. Essentially the way it works is that you will be registering for different aspects of the honeymoon(flight, an excursion, a meal, etc). But you'll really be getting a check, it's not like your guests are sending this money directly to what it is supposedly going for. And, they charge a fee. So, if your cousin donates say $100, and there is a fee that equates to $10 - you will only be getting $90. 

I learned about this on this site, because a friend of mine is doing it for her wedding so I posed the same question you did. It seems like a great idea but in reality it really isn't. The way I see it it's like asking for cash but sugar coating it.
    @staceemarie Yep, everything @pinkcow13 said.  Honeyfunds are extremely rude and tacky.  It is exactly a sugar-coated way of asking for cash, and then it rips off your guests with fees.

The Etiquette board is really helpful for all of that kind of stuff.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• cmarr684cmarr684 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2014
    We're not registering for a honeyfund either. I agree with @Pinkcow13 and @jcbride2014...

If you really think about it, EXPECTING anyone to get you gifts in the first place is kinda rude to me..but a traditional registry makes a little more since to me since most of the items are stuff that you NEED. (For example, my fiance and I don't live together yet and literally have nothing for new home). Honeymoons are nice, but they're not a necessity...and I certainly wouldn't expect anyone other than myself and my fiance to pay for one.
  • Thanks @cmarr684 @pinkcow13 and @jcbride2014   I hadn't really thought of it that way... Have any of you registered yet? If so, are there any places you recommend? I'd love your thoughts, I think I'm going to write a blog post on it and would LOVE your opinions! So many steps to a wedding!! At least most of them are fun!
  • staceemarie - We have not registered yet, but I think that we will register at Bed Bath and Beyond. 
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• bakersckbakersck member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2014
    pinkcow13 said:
    Is anyone considering registering for their honeymoon? I've seen a few sites that offer this, is it weird to do? What do you think?

@staceemarie Yep, everything @pinkcow13 said.  Honeyfunds are extremely rude and tacky.  It is exactly a sugar-coated way of asking for cash, and then it rips off your guests with fees.

The Etiquette board is really helpful for all of that kind of stuff.  
    My ILs suggested writing on our STDs or invitations "in lue of gifts, please donate to our ________" which is a PayPal account for our honeymoon.  I rolled my eyes so hard
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @staceemarie we haven't registered yet either...it's kinda hard deciding where to go! 

I think we are definitely registering at Kohl's...they have really good prices on small kitchen appliances and what not and we really need a lot. (I remember they had those Kitchen Aid mixers there cheaper than I've seen ANYWHERE else). It says on their site:

• Earn 10% rewards on gifts purchased from your registry.
    • Guests save an extra 20% off an in-store purchase of $100 or more.
    • Save 15% on any items left on your registry for up to three months after the wedding. 

• Probably Macy's or Bloomingdales and then maybe a Home Depot or a Lowe's for tools. 
  • @cmarr684 I found this site called MyRegistry.com IT'S AWESOME! You can link all your existing registries to it and also "pin" things you want from various websites... essentially it's a one stop shop for your guests. I'm going to do a blog post about it, but thought I'd share it with you girls first. I think it's really cool! Let me know your thoughts?
  • @staceemarie That's really neat. Definitely convienient.

I think my only concern is that I do have a lot of older relatives who aren't tech savvy and would probably rather go to an actual store. And I think personally, I'd kinda want to go to the physical store to create the registry? Maybe that sounds weird...but I think I'd want to see some items in person...and I won't lie—I really just want to run around and scan things :P
  • @cmarr684 TOTALLY AGREE! You can link your registries on that site too, from any store that you've physically gone in and registered at. That's my plan! I can't wait to walk around and scan things too! I want to give my guest both options of going into the actual store and being able to order online...
  • Hey girls, I did a blog post about registries, I'd love for you to stop by and share your thoughts
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards