Offbeat Weddings

Money Poem

The etiquette police will have a field day with this one LOL

We are enclosing a poem with the invitations, asking for contributions to our honeymoon rather than gifts. This is our choice. I have a cute funny poem, but what about maybe adding on the bottom the website for the resort we plan to stay at so people can see where they gifts went. We also plan on taking the "Thank You" picture on our honeymoon to make thank you cards with upon our return.

As you know we're getting married,
So soon we will be wed.
Gifts are oh so welcome-
But could we have money instead?
It's to spend whilst we're on honeymoon,
As our love we celebrate.
We hope you're not offended,
But if you are......................Oops, it's too late!

Re: Money Poem

• The etiquette police will have a field day with this one LOL

We are enclosing a poem with the invitations, asking for contributions to our honeymoon rather than gifts. This is our choice. I have a cute funny poem, but what about maybe adding on the bottom the website for the resort we plan to stay at so people can see where they gifts went. We also plan on taking the "Thank You" picture on our honeymoon to make thank you cards with upon our return.

So soon we will be wed.
    Gifts are oh so welcome-

*STUCK IN BOX*

If I was a guest and recieved this I would be kind of offended to be honest.
  • Changed it to this:

Soon we will be wed and
    gifts are oh so welcome,
    But to help us start our married life,
    money towards the honeymoon
    would really please the wife!
    But if you are.........
    Oops, too late!
  • edited February 2014
    MY guest will not be upset by this, trust me. I'm not a troll. I'm having a wedding to celebrate my relationship with OUR friends and family. If this would upset OUR friends and family I wouldn't do it.
    As for registering for gifts, we don't do that in Nova Scotia unless you are a rich snob. Not the Nova Scotia style. The only place to register here would be WalMart.

My question was not so much about the poem itself, as to whether we should let people know what resort we are looking at staying. No matter how we are letting people know what we prefer cash, should we not let them know where they gift is going?
  • I am apt to believe that you just don't understand what will offend them. I mean, do you really sit around and discuss with your friends "would you be offended if I asked for money as a gift for my wedding" on a regular basis?
  • If I received a poem like this for a friend's wedding - even if it my best friend's wedding - I would seriously consider not attending, let alone not giving a gift of any kind.

The issues I have with this idea:

1) It's presumptuous to assume that your guests will be giving you a gift. At all. This poem puts them in an awkward position and makes them feel like they HAVE to only give money.

2) Even the "rich snobs" who register for gifts aren't outright asking for gifts. The point of a registry is to say, "these items are the style and color of things we are needing/have been wanting to buy." It also helps so multiple guests don't buy the bride and groom the same toaster, but no one is required to buy anything off of it.

But etiquette aside, to answer your original question: On your website it's completely fine to link to the resort where you are staying, and including a picture of the two of you, while there, in your thank you cards would be a lovely touch. 

Basically, it's more than ok to show that you and your spouse had a brilliantly wonderful time on your honeymoon - it's just not ok to ask them to fund it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • So....you're putting this horrendous poem on your invites and you don't care what anyone (or etiquette) says, but you're asking if it's tacky to put the name of the resort on there too? 

I'm inclined to think you don't give a shit and you just wanted to get a rise out of us and say "neener neener neener I think I'm too cool for gracious hosting and humility".
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • So you know it's poor etiquette, and you posted it here on the ETIQUETTE board.....why?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Oh, whoops! My bad. It's me on the wrong board! Hahaha! Still a bad idea, though.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • If I got your wedding invitation with this poem enclosed I would make it a point to not give you money. In fact, I'd likely re-gift something I already have that I don't want because you're off the charts tacky and rude.
  • I'm a generally pretty laid back person who does not get easily offended. I'm certainly far from "etiquette police" and, while I don't have one myself, I don't get too put off my money-requesting-registries. HOWEVER, I thought I should share that this WOULD offend me. Like... A LOT.

Why not just not register for anything? Or, even better, register for a few things for those who like to give physical gifts... everyone else will just get the hint and just gift money. AND you don't look like an asshole (not saying you are, but that's how this makes you come off.)
  • The etiquette police will have a field day with this one LOL

So soon we will be wed.
    Gifts are oh so welcome-
  • Honestly, I'm not typically the type to judge or be super easily offended but if I were to receive something like this in a wedding invite, I would be EXTREMELY put off. Obviously you will choose to do what you want in the end but please, if anything, omit that last part about "We hope you're not offended, But if you are......................Oops, it's too late! "  that, to me, gives the impression that you do not care about me or my feelings and if that's the case, then why would I even go to your wedding? I have always been told to never put anything about registry in invitations (although when I receive invites with registry cards inside, I'm not offended). If people want to know, trust me, they will ask. My fiance and I made a very small registry and then when asked we said that we have a small one at this place but we will be combining 2 households already and saving for a down payment on a house. Most people have told us they chose to help us out with our savings instead and a few have chosen to look at our registry but that way, it becomes their choice.

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

• Very well put @Fairyjen1

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

• Good lord, is this for real? Like, are you actually seriously putting that on your invitations? You have to be trolling.

You're probably having a cash bar too, amirite?
  • If I received an invite with that poem in it, I would get you a Beyonce.

Anniversary
  • The poem is offensive cut and dry.
  • I for one, don't really care if someone asks for money. I only roll my eyes a little if they do it in the invitation, even.

But please, please, for the love of all that is holy, skip the poem. It makes me want to puke. It isn't cute. Especially not the last line. If you're going to go all speshul snowflake on us and say it's your day and all, whatever, but at least lose the "oops too late" crap. That is just fucking awful.
  • edited March 2014
    If you had a cash bar, dollar dance, 7 spotlight dances, bought a pnina lingerie gown, made your bridesmaids pay thousands of dollars for a destination bachelorette party... all of these would make you a better hostess than the person who would put that poem on anything other than toilet paper. If i were given that invite, that is exactly how I would repurpose it. This poem is the Chernobyl of bad etiquette.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    The etiquette police will have a field day with this one LOL

So soon we will be wed.
    Gifts are oh so welcome-
    To ask for a gift
    Will lead to a rift
    And if you were my friend
    Our friendship would end
    If I got this verse
    And you're making it worse
    By asking for cash.
    So don't be so rash!
  • I know you said your friends won't be offended, but most people will not call someone out for behaving rudely. Please keep that in mind before sending out a poem like that - and before you ask your guests for money.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards